Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Who needs a Favorites Bar when you can have it all on the side of your browser? Brilliant new feature! If only my screen was a little bigger or that the sidebar could be resized smaller.

Pretty snappy too. :D

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Who needs a Favorites Bar when you can have it all on the side of your browser? Brilliant new feature! If only my screen was a little bigger or that the sidebar could be resized smaller.

Screen real estate is exactly what's keeping me from using the side bar in safari. I do like it but not enough to sacrifice screen.. :p

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK

It's so snappy it's actually worth of the "safari seems snappier" comment.

DavidMarks

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
I like to keep Safari as clean as possible, so I never really cared much for the bookmarks bar. I think it's ugly and clunky. This new sidebar looks really promising. I just assigned a simple keyboard shortcut for quickly showing/hiding, and so far it's working great!

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
The new Safari is very cool, but the sidebar is missing browser history. As I just posted in another thread, there's for a history tab alongside bookmarks, the reading list, and shared links, and it would make browsing through Safari's history very easy. Currently if you view history, you just get a big list in the browser window, which is inelegant.

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
A side bar is not a "brilliant new feature." I've been using the one in Firefox for years. Safari is playing catch-up on this one.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I find Safari to be quite bad, it takes forever to load web pages and the scrolling is laggy on certain webpages. Try going to - theverge.com and see how long it takes to load the webpage compared to firefox or chrome, then check out the laggy scrolling.

Shocco

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
In some ways Safari is better than Chrome, it's lighter, faster and smoother but it lacks the functionality of Chrome with all the extensions you can get from the Chrome extension store.

I also think Safari needs a make over; I find the monochrome buttons to be ugly, the bookmark bar fonts too blocky and the darker grey of the toolbar to be very unattractive.

The whole operating system needs a make over to be honest a la iOS7 but without the cartoonish icons.

For now though I'll use Safari 7 as it's just too smooth to turn down :)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
How do you drag a URL to the reading list? (Note: I'm not talking the keyboard). The "eyeglasses" icon is missing - I used to just drop it onto that.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I've bounced around web browsers for the longest. Since owning a Mac in 2007. I think I went from Firefox to Safari to Chrome to Safari to Chrome and back to Safari. I really like Chrome's functionality and all the extensions and apps that are available to it. Although it now feels like it's getting clunkier and clunkier, almost like Firefox. I think I've stuck with Safari for the longest. I think for a year now? I do like it's clean look and lack of clutter. But I guess I can make Chrome that way, but all the apps and extensions are too tempting.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Didn't IE for mac back around 1999ish have all the favorites on the sidebar as well? on os9 at that?

Not a new concept really

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Didn't IE for mac back around 1999ish have all the favorites on the sidebar as well? on os9 at that?

Not a new concept really

Yeah, yeah. I KNOW that it isn't new. I used to use it on IE ages ago. However, this is actually a much better approach to it. It looks good, it has the Twitter integration, and Reader. I like it.

Killa Aaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
I find Safari to be quite bad, it takes forever to load web pages and the scrolling is laggy on certain webpages. Try going to - theverge.com and see how long it takes to load the webpage compared to firefox or chrome, then check out the laggy scrolling.

The verge website is the problem not safari, it still loads slowly and scrolls badly in all of the other web browsers.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Anyone else think the new side bar is kind of useless? Do people actually use twitter/reading list so much that it needs to be forced in there? I might use it if I could adjust the width and what is displayed there. As-is I'd rather just use the standard bookmarks bar.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
How do you drag a URL to the reading list? (Note: I'm not talking the keyboard). The "eyeglasses" icon is missing - I used to just drop it onto that.

Don't you press the + button on the left of the URL or drag the blue sphere into the reading list?

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I hope Safari 7 is better than the 6.1 apple pushed out the same day. I wasn't impressed with 6.1 and had to uninstall it and go back to 6.05. I put mavericks on my mba and still have mountain lion on my mbp.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Don't you press the + button on the left of the URL
LOL! How long has that + thingy been there? :eek:

Yes. That's it. :) Puts the URL into the reading list. Thanks. Of course since the little eyeglass icon is gone there's no place to "drop" things to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.