Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’ll take Navigon any day! $15-$25, and far better than any Android-style (cell-coverage-dependent) driving directions. Yet it also has Google search built in, for the best of both worlds.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Not that anybody cares what I think but these jibes are quite annoying. I was al set to buy a Samsung smart tv but these ads have made me lose a lot of respect for them.

Idiots

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I don't really care that much. I paid like $35 two years ago for the TomTom app, and it's still going strong. I honestly find Google Navigation to be a very basic turn-by-turn app. There are a lot of basic features that I find missing in it, like your current speed, the speed limit, the time of arrival, lane change assistance (extremely useful when driving through places like NYC), auto-zoom at your turns, and several more very useful features. I haven't used Google Navigation in a good 6+ months, so I don't know if they've added some of those. Are those features dealbreakers? No, but they are definitely very nice to haves. But in general, I find TomTom to be full of quality features, to be very easy to understand, and it always gets me where I want to go.

This isn't to say that Google Navigation is bad. It gets you to where you want to go, and it does it pretty well. And of course it's free and comes pre-installed. But I definitely don't feel like I'm missing out too much, since honestly $35 was not that big of a deal to me.

On a side note to some people complaining about some of the lower-end GPS apps not being that good. All I can say is: You get what you pay for. If you are paying $0 - $2.99, you are getting what you paid for. I would highly recommend just dishing out the money for Navigon or TomTom. They are quality apps that are updated often and get the job done very well. Hell, just go on Appshopper and flag them and wait for an email about one of them going on sale. You won't regret it.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I need to take a massive Samsung.

This comment almost put me in tears! :D:p

As far as the commercial goes, clever, but the making fun of Apple fans in line thing has been old for years. Just my two cents.

I'd also like to say that this ad was a huge piece of Samsung.

(I can see these jokes taking off more than the ad campaign.)

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I wish the iPhone had better navigation services.

Wait. I buy a $5 app and pay $10/year for voice nav with my iPhone. My neighbor with Android gets a voice nav app for free but pays $5/month for voice nav.

And buying the navigation app on the iPhone is a problem?!?

Sheesh. Talk about penny-wise. The costs even out in the third frickin' month, and after that the iPhone approach is cheaper!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I've been using the free Mapquest app for voice turn by turn navigation on iPhone for years.

Google maps on my cheap ass android phone saved my day many times. And it's free! Even cheap nokias have turn by turn navigation. Apple should have it incorporated long ago. It's a very handy feature.

About samsung I don't give a samsung since every android phone has that.

It's because Google won't let other companies (such as Apple) use Google Maps for navigation.

elee

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
Please don't samsung me

I like android's built-in navigation. Something I truly wanted iPhone maps to incorporate already but never will, so we'll have to wait for apple's own map services.

But 'being Samsunged?'. Give me a break. The first time I heard it in that ad I thought of what just happened with galaxy S, that its ICS upgrade being pulled back. 'Is he talking about OS upgrade being cancelled? No wait, this is samsung ad so it can't be...'

Samsung is known for this behavior and customers buy phones with the promise of OS upgrade only to get shrugging shoulder gesture later. So many samsung android phone buyers have been 'samsunged' already so I wouldn't want a phone that will likely samsung me.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
I find this a bit amusing, considering a Samsung Captivate was my attempt to try Android, and the GPS didn't work. Kinda made Google Navigate a bit worthless. And in the end, it didn't work because Google was being evil, and Samsung shipped the phone with no AGPS subsystem. No one was honest about the situation at the time, so the phone went back out of frustration.

(See the Skyhook vs Google lawsuit for the details)

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
You know that reading a map and turn by turn are two different things. I can read a map just fine and before I start a trip I look over the map and directions but at the same time I can keep my eyes on the road and do not have to focus on reading multiple street signs and the directions. I use the voice part to "ding" me when I am close to the next turn and pay more attention there. Plus it is very helpful when I miss a turn.
It is one of those very nice features that the iPhone sorely is lacking.

Yes I can see your point if we were only talking about really long drives where your traveling a great distance and cant remember the entire route, then yes turn by turn navi is great, but again not at all a selling point. The fact that the iOS maps app locates me is enough, then (if you have an iPhone 3g or newer) it can tell you which direction your facing.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
*but why was the dude navigating to an Apple store?
It looked like he went to give his friend (at the Apple store) his phone charger.

But 'being Samsunged?'. Give me a break. The first time I heard it in that ad I thought of what just happened with galaxy S, that its ICS upgrade being pulled back. 'Is he talking about OS upgrade being cancelled? No wait, this is samsung ad so it can't be...'
I just took it to be as reference to being "Tebowed"

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Waze is the best Navigation app for iOS. Still, android is the winner on this one unfortunately. iOS should have had this before now.:confused:

Waze looks interesting. Not as nice as MotionX, but seems like a good free substitute on par with Google's free service.

----------

No, you can't buy that. Will your app be integrated with contacts? Will it be integrated with Google Street View (which shows you the picture of the intersection at the next turn on your route)?

Ummm ... yes, and yes?

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I gave the Samsung iFascinate (Did I put an i in front of that? ;) ) a try when it had just come out. I remember I got decent battery life out of it, the screen was really nice, BUT I could not get GPS to lock on, if I did it took at least minutes for it to lock on. Navigation is good if you could use it. I also got horrible Wifi reception. I also remember a bug where I had to make sure to specifically tap Google on setting Calendar appointment, I could not remove Phone from Default so my Calendars were never backed up. Badly needed updates took forever, Samsung is great for TV's, but they still need a lot of work in the Smartphone area.

One thing I did love about my Droid Devices though was the included Navigation. I love my iPhone, I downloaded Navigon which is a thousand times better just for the aspect of not needing a network connection makes it worth the money. But let not be getting fanboyish here and act like the standalone mapping is sufficient please. Yes it will be addressed obviously, but as it stands now that is the one area iPhone sits behind on.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Is this a trick question? :confused:
Because you can store people's addresses with the contacts.

Well, duh. But if that's the only integration, I have yet to see a TBT nav app in iOS which doesn't have this. Well, Waze doesn't seem to, but it's a little different.

For example, I say "Navigate to [wifes name]" - The phone knows where she lives from her contact info and navigates me there.

This works with any contact that I have their home address stored. It has nothing to do with Latitude.

That is system integration. Not with contacts, but with the voice command software. I think Siri will bring up directions in the normal system Maps app for a contact, but none of the third-party apps can be used for that so far as I can tell.

So, point there for Android, but not for Contacts integration: for voice control integration. That having been said, I haven't had a need to use voice control to start up TbT nav yet. I'm stopped before I start going and can push the five buttons it takes to open the app, select the contact, and start navigating.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Yes I can see your point if we were only talking about really long drives where your traveling a great distance and cant remember the entire route, then yes turn by turn navi is great, but again not at all a selling point. The fact that the iOS maps app locates me is enough, then (if you have an iPhone 3g or newer) it can tell you which direction your facing.

If you want another useful example I was with some friends and meet up location changed pretty quickly while on route. I was able to tell my phone the new location by voice as well and while on route it handled all of it and had me direction. A single stop light was all it took me to verify that it was the choosing the correct location.

That and GPS navigation is quicker. As soon as you cross say 2-3 turns in unfimiluar area the GPS really takes over. Plus do not forget about the correction when the miss turn does happen.

I find it funny every single time someone uses the "read a map" argument which tells me they are jealous.

Now comparing Google Voice GPS to say my garmine stand alone unit the garmin is by far a better GPS navigator but then again those are bit more costly and as such I expect them to be better but then again I hardly use it enough more as it is not as much better compared to my phone. Mind you using GPS navigation on a phone is a huge battery killer and would be as well on say the iPhone.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Ok, here it goes...

I absolutely love my iPhone (it is in almost every way better than my old android) but as mentioned, the navigation is not even close.

I have tried Waze, Motionxgps and map quest and honestly hate all of these apps. Motionx has the best UI, but I believe that all 3 of these apps get directions from the same place and use the same service.

I can't speak for MapQuest, but Waze is user-generated maps, and MotionX GPS uses Bing for searches and OpenStreetMap for the maps (I believe).

IMHO, Google's search for things like fast food places is superior to Bing's (Bing sent us to the end of a residential culdesac when we searched for a Baskin Robbins coming back from Pinnacles National Monument ...) but generally they are close enough.

Waze uses its own map database, I believe, culled from GPS coords as people actually drive on roads. Seems like an interesting idea, although the folks up in a tizzy about Apple maybe being able to track where you have been based on a history of cell tower strengths are probably not going to be able to stomach that. Waze allows you to search from a number of different search engines.

Here's what I mean, I find that each of these apps extremely slow to reroute (I will will literally be driving 30seconds before the gps re-rerouts me. The gps does not seem accurate at all in any of these apps and often keeps me on my continued path even though I have diverged from it. Just overall terrible.

That's just the opposite of my experience with MotionX and (very limited) Waze. MotionX would reroute me a second after I left the route, far earlier than my standalone $600-in-its-day Garmin GPS. And yet, it doesn't get confused as much when I leave the road and head into a parking lot.

On my single drive with Waze it seemed less touchy than MotionX as far as leaving the route, and got confused a bit when I was in a parking lot (kept switching between showing me in the middle of the parking lot and on the nearest road).

GPS accuracy is all about the phone, not the app. If you are having GPS accuracy issues, it is most likely interference with how you are holding the phone and/or where it is located in your car not letting it "see" a good number of GPS satellites.

And the UI on all 3 absolutely sucks

Well, it's a matter of opinion. I don't mind the MotionX UI, although it's a bit garish. Still, the core needs for a TbT nav app are a good view of the road around me, and good vocalization of where I need to turn next. The rest of the UI is superfluous the majority of the time (just when I'm setting up a new nav, etc).

The maps app on the iPhone which uses Google maps is actually extremely accurate. It tracks my motion incredibly smooth and instantly updates where I am. This leads me to believe that the GPS hardware is just fine in the iPhone. Of course the maps app does not do turn by turn so I find it pretty much useless - but it is really good if I am say walking around NYC.

Same here, but MotionX and Waze are just as fluid and accurate for me. Something is definitely wrong with your setup; the system Maps app uses the same location API as the other apps. Maybe it's a phone speed issue; are you using an iPhone 3 or 3gs, or a 4/4s?

Naviagation is the one thing I miss about android and despite what people say, I believe it is a very important aspect of a smartphone. I hope apple updates with something soon - or if anyone has any other gps recommendations let know - but again (the 3 I have tried have terrible UI, give bad directions, take forever to reroute and are not smooth at all in updating my location status)

I don't see TbT as critical, but I'm not a road warrior heading off to unfamiliar territory constantly either. I suppose for a segment of the population it is really important, and to the rest of us a "nice to have". I'd love to see Apple's take on TbT directions, but I just haven't been disappointed with what is out there now. It's lacking Apple's fine polish, but I'd say the same of the Google TbT app for Android (based on rather limited use, granted).

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
This is one area of the iPhone Apple could improve dramatically for users.

Apple has already purchased most, if not all, the right companies to make this happen.

Until then, Apple should go on the offensive. Apple should post a video of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus randomly rebooting.

----------

How come? Android phones have everything iPhone does and then some. Navigation is just one example. Then there are SD cards, OLED screens, replaceable batteries, file system, NFC, LTE etc. The only thing they don't have is the glass back but, trust me, no one misses that. and, BTW, did you know that Samsung sells more smart phones that Apple?

Everything? Even timely updates across alls phones?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Apple has already purchased most, if not all, the right companies to make this happen.

Until then, Apple should go on the offensive. Apple should post a video of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus randomly rebooting.

and Samsung could post video of the iPhone doing that as well.

Apple doing that would be opening up the same can of worms that they did during Antena gate doing bogus test to try to take the blame off them.
None of the other manufactures said anything until Apple tried to drag them into the mess Apple created with a massive design flaw.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
and Samsung could post video of the iPhone doing that as well.

Apple doing that would be opening up the same can of worms that they did during Antena gate doing bogus test to try to take the blame off them.
None of the other manufactures said anything until Apple tried to drag them into the mess Apple created with a massive design flaw.

Apple should whip out a iPhone 3GS and compare the smooth interface with recent Android phones not running Android 4.0, i.e., most Android phones.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Apple should whip out a iPhone 3GS and compare the smooth interface with recent Android phones not running Android 4.0, i.e., most Android phones.

points back to previous post. I also know they could do the same as well.

Apple would be setting itself up to get nailed on the same BS yet again. Not valid one. Also GS2 does not exactly hang nor do most of Android phones out today as low end Android phone now has the horse power of a iPhone4 to yes even the 4S.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
points back to previous post. I also know they could do the same as well.

Apple would be setting itself up to get nailed on the same BS yet again. Not valid one. Also GS2 does not exactly hang nor do most of Android phones out today as low end Android phone now has the horse power of a iPhone4 to yes even the 4S.

Who mentioned the SG2 hanging? I specifically mentioned the Galaxy Nexus' reboot problem. Google has acknowledged the problem and will issue a fix soon. It's still funny.

My friends Bionic chugs along just navigating the home screen. Yeah, I'm sure that phone has the horsepower of an iPhone 4. What about the software?

And comparing the horsepower of an iPhone 4S, you do realize that the GPU in the iP4S has ridiculous performance numbers?

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I like Apple but Samsung does have point here iOS needs a good built in GPS navigation.

Hopefully with iOS 6 they will deliver.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I like Apple but Samsung does have point here iOS needs a good built in GPS navigation.

Hopefully with iOS 6 they will deliver.

Yeah it does. iOS 5.1 this spring probably won't have it. I hope iOS 6 in the fall will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.