Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Its the whole bully attitude, if you can't be creative then pick on someone. :rolleyes:

Most reviews have not been kind to the S4.

Right. Kind of like Apple did with the whole I'm a Mac vs I'm a PC ads

----------

Those are some cool features, and you Apple fanboys know that if those features were on the iPhone, you guys would be praising and kissing Apple's ass right now.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Having taken Apple's example & brought it up to date, this ad is hilarious.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, Apple gets to be the target.

It's just an ad, don't let it upset you ...

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
This is another thing I don't really understand... how useful is this? If you are close enough to gesture, wouldn't you also be close enough to actually touch the screen? I have heard the gestures don't work well in low light conditions. Maybe if tuned well... the motion tracking could be used like a mobile motion controller like the xbox kinect or whatever it is called. Paired with a TV, this would be a clever mobile gaming solution.

Think about cold weather. It works with gloves on. There are a lot of examples when you don't want to or can't touch a screen with your bare hands.

Apple & more specifically Jon Ive's is considering `air gestures ` for future iOS feature's. Google it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Those are some cool features, and you Apple fanboys know that if those features were on the iPhone, you guys would be praising and kissing Apple's ass right now.

This comment made me laugh so hard, you hit the nail on the head.

It's really great when I get to laugh. It's as though the Mac devotees believe its illegal to enjoy both phones. They're so emotionally invested they turn nasty.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
innovation is dead. I have no desire to buy another phone after the iphone 5 for a while. I have LTE, I have a great camera, it's not to big. I'll be using this thing for years.

that's what apple wants you to think.
Then Boom the new Apple iPhone 5S
and you'll be the first in line.

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
I like how Samsung's last batch of commercials concentrated on how 'uncool' the iPhone is because it appeals to parents, and now this new Samsung commercial is specifically about how appealing the Galaxy S4 is to parents.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Neat video I guess, can't see myself wanting to use those gestures if I had the S4 - and a lot of people are reporting with all the TW features enabled that the phone's performance suffers compared to being off

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Think about cold weather. It works with gloves on. There are a lot of examples when you don't want to or can't touch a screen with your bare hands.

Apple & more specifically Jon Ive's is considering `air gestures ` for future iOS feature's. Google it.

All I find are blogposts stating that Apple needs to add these kind of 'usefull' features if it wants to keep up, i'd rather you just source it... because I don't recal reading anywhere Jony ive is considering this.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Its the whole bully attitude, if you can't be creative then pick on someone. :rolleyes:

Most reviews have not been kind to the S4.

You know, you never see Apple making fun of Samsung phones or the company in their ads...
I guess it's just a good gauge of class.

I am far from a Samsung apologist. I see no making fun here, they are simply pointing out new features that the iPhone doesn't have. Their previous commercials have been making fun of iPhone users, I don't think they've made fun of the iPhone or Apple yet.

Although they are wrong about the TV thing, I was controlling mine just tonight when my daughter lost the actual remote.

OTOH, air gestures are stupid. And yes, I will say that if they are in iOS7, too.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002

Chances are your phone would be in your pocket and you would have to take it out... often difficult to do with gloves on. Again, I am not saying there is no possible use for gestures, the phone bump feature, or any of the other novel things the Samsung commercial attempts to show. I can imagine with some clever refinement some of these ideas could be really neat. However, as they are now, they appear to have extremely limited value and thus I consider gimmicks.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I thought the features look pretty darn useful. In my opinion still far ahead of iOS, of course that may change with iOS7, we'll have to see.

As far as Samsung attacking Apple, let's be fair, Apple has done this in the past with Microsoft, and nobody in the forums had an issue with it. Let's try not to be hypocrites shall we? Why was it ok for Apple to attack Microsoft?, yet when a company decides to attack Apple we get on the defensive.

I've never been the type to kiss butt of any company, If I don't like something about Apple products I don't have any issues with admitting it..

The features look useful in a commercial? I'm shocked.

Jbrumz85

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
It's crazy how the S4 is getting bashed in here for all these new features that have never been on a mobile device but when apple does something that's been on androids for years all of a sudden apple did it the right way lol. All of these features can be turned off if you don't want to use them.

EeZeEpEe

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Tampa, FL
How do you see these features as useful? Holding a pointed finger at the screen to open a txt msg seems slower than actually pressing to open. I suppose if your fingers are covered with delicious BBQ sauce...

In her case, she had lotion on her hands. Lots of the features aren't going to be used everyday but they can be handy on occasion.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
It was mildly humorous. Did it feel longer than 1:30 to anyone else? At about the 30s mark I lost all interest.

If there was one thing I didn't like about the Samsung ads it's that they always seem way too long!
Yes! Even if they have a good point (which IMO those features shown are not dealbreakers) they can't seem to capture my attention. I watch it once just to see what it looks like and then... poof, I don't care anymore. I was basically forcing myself to watch that garbage.

----------

It's crazy how the S4 is getting bashed in here for all these new features that have never been on a mobile device but when apple does something that's been on androids for years all of a sudden apple did it the right way lol. All of these features can be turned off if you don't want to use them.

I'm not sure why you would be surprised, it's MacRumors...

And although you have a point because using those features is by choice the question becomes then, why is it worth my $500? I mean, Samsung is basically trying to justifying a phone purchase with all these features no? And if I don't want them why not buy a similar yet more affordable phone?

Prohapps

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Nothing new.

Just saying...

The answer your phone was a feature motorola phones had 8 years ago.

The NFC sharing came out with the original iPhone (it was bluetooth, but only because NFC technology was not available)

I could control most TVs with my Sony Ericsson T310 9 years ago.

A flap cover, I had that with my Palm IIIc like 15 years ago.

And all those functions worked the same way. No innovation or updates to those features from Samsung.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

Yes, let us tap into Google's infinite wisdom about what Ive is certainly doing at Apple.

Prohapps

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Right. Kind of like Apple did with the whole I'm a Mac vs I'm a PC ads

----------

Apple never attacked the users of Windows computers, only the actual Windows OS and it's limitations.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Definitely a little editorial bias/link bait I think too in the article. Fact is - the iPhone is used by all demographics. It's no longer a cool/hip younger generation only. A lot of a parents and older people DO use the iPhone. And quite honestly - there are those don't know what their phone can and can't do. I'd hardly call the commercial knocking on the iPhone for being unhip or only used by older people. They've knocked the hipster before with their ads of people waiting in line.

Also - I don't see much wrong with the ad. Yes it's long, etc - but it shows some clever uses for the phone. And it's not like the entire ad or even most of it is slamming other phones (or iPhone). It's ONE element to the ad.

Mountain meet molehill.

----------

Apple never attacked the users of Windows computers, only the actual Windows OS and it's limitations.

One could argue that by doing so - they undermined the users of those devices for choosing Windows. I wouldn't argue it. But some might. And I'm not sure I would completely disagree

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
a little too long, needed to be less than 30 secs, good features, but the ribbing makes the ad look bad IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.