New Samsung XL2370 LED display & MBP question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macerdoodle, Aug 5, 2010.

1. macerdoodle macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2010
    Hi all -

Just got a new Samsung XL2370 LED display. I've got it hooked up to my new MBP: minidisplay to HDMI. I've got the Samsung at it's highest resolution: 1600x900. The MBP has the hi-res display at 1680x1050. The picture on the Samsung is not as sharp as the MBP, is that because of the unequalness of the resolutions? Would using a minidisplay to DVI look any different? I was thinking not since both HDMI and DVI are digital signals, but I thought I'd ask. The only monitor that seems to look identical to the MBP resolution is Apple's cinema displays, but I didn't want to spend that much on the external monitor.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. alust2013 macrumors 601

Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    It's probably a bit fuzzier looking because it actually has fewer pixels in a display that's about 8 inches larger diagonal.
  3. macerdoodle thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2010
    Maybe you're right... Next thing, on Samsung's site the specs for the XL2370 say that the resolution is 1920 x 1080, but the highest I can set it to in system prefs is 1600x900. Is that governed by what it's hooked up to? Meanwhile my hi-res MBP screen is 1680x1050. Wish I was getting that 1920x1080 that they say!
  4. circularforward macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2010
    That monitor should display 1080 just fine. A google search shows that many do use it at that res. Don't give up, and keep trying!
  5. macerdoodle thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2010
    Thanks! Well, I just have to figure out why I can't get that resolution. Maybe I need to contact Samsung. I'll try the DVI adaptor, but I doubt that will make any difference over HDMI.