Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macerdoodle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Hi all -

Just got a new Samsung XL2370 LED display. I've got it hooked up to my new MBP: minidisplay to HDMI. I've got the Samsung at it's highest resolution: 1600x900. The MBP has the hi-res display at 1680x1050. The picture on the Samsung is not as sharp as the MBP, is that because of the unequalness of the resolutions? Would using a minidisplay to DVI look any different? I was thinking not since both HDMI and DVI are digital signals, but I thought I'd ask. The only monitor that seems to look identical to the MBP resolution is Apple's cinema displays, but I didn't want to spend that much on the external monitor.
Thanks in advance!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It's probably a bit fuzzier looking because it actually has fewer pixels in a display that's about 8 inches larger diagonal.

macerdoodle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Maybe you're right... Next thing, on Samsung's site the specs for the XL2370 say that the resolution is 1920 x 1080, but the highest I can set it to in system prefs is 1600x900. Is that governed by what it's hooked up to? Meanwhile my hi-res MBP screen is 1680x1050. Wish I was getting that 1920x1080 that they say!

circularforward

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
That monitor should display 1080 just fine. A google search shows that many do use it at that res. Don't give up, and keep trying!

macerdoodle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks! Well, I just have to figure out why I can't get that resolution. Maybe I need to contact Samsung. I'll try the DVI adaptor, but I doubt that will make any difference over HDMI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.