Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthony113

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
im looking to buy a 320gb secondary drive for my G5 dual 2.7. i am deciding between the Seagate Barracuda 320gb from owc and the Western Digital Caviar SATA Enterprise Edition 320GB from owc. any suggestions? thanks!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I've had both but on reputation I would go with the Seagate now. I got a 500GB Barracuda from newegg.com at thanksgiving and it's a great drive.

anthony113

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2005
i heard that some of the seagate drives have performance issues on G5's, anyone experience this?

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2005
i heard that some of the seagate drives have performance issues on G5's, anyone experience this?

i have had seagate issues all around, i'd go with Lacie or Iomega which I heard are very reliable. Seagate Price vs GB = good deal, actual performance/reliability = bad deal

i lost data on my 160gb external 3 times so far, and it doesn't mount on my macbook pro but did mount on my macbook and imac when i had them. i'm ready to chuck this thing out the window (seriously) :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have been running two Hitachi/IBM 250GB SATA drives for a couple years now. They've been perfectly relaible and quiet. I've had decent luck with Seagate and Maxtor, but that was years ago. I had bad luck with Quantum, but they're gone now (sort of). :)

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
i have had seagate issues all around, i'd go with Lacie or Iomega which I heard are very reliable. Seagate Price vs GB = good deal, actual performance/reliability = bad deal

Umm... correct me if I'm wrong but Lacie and Iomega don't make hard drives... they just put a hard drive in their enclosures usually from Maxtor or Seagate... which are the same company now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.