new secondary hard drive seagate vs wd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anthony113, Jan 16, 2007.

1. anthony113 macrumors member

im looking to buy a 320gb secondary drive for my G5 dual 2.7. i am deciding between the Seagate Barracuda 320gb from owc and the Western Digital Caviar SATA Enterprise Edition 320GB from owc. any suggestions? thanks!

2. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

General rule I tend to follow is buy Seagate whenever you can. Why? 5-year warranty.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I've had both but on reputation I would go with the Seagate now. I got a 500GB Barracuda from newegg.com at thanksgiving and it's a great drive.

4. anthony113 thread starter macrumors member

i heard that some of the seagate drives have performance issues on G5's, anyone experience this?

5. mac000 macrumors 6502a

i have had seagate issues all around, i'd go with Lacie or Iomega which I heard are very reliable. Seagate Price vs GB = good deal, actual performance/reliability = bad deal

i lost data on my 160gb external 3 times so far, and it doesn't mount on my macbook pro but did mount on my macbook and imac when i had them. i'm ready to chuck this thing out the window (seriously) :)

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I have been running two Hitachi/IBM 250GB SATA drives for a couple years now. They've been perfectly relaible and quiet. I've had decent luck with Seagate and Maxtor, but that was years ago. I had bad luck with Quantum, but they're gone now (sort of). :)

7. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

Umm... correct me if I'm wrong but Lacie and Iomega don't make hard drives... they just put a hard drive in their enclosures usually from Maxtor or Seagate... which are the same company now...