new services in .Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kugino, Jan 29, 2007.

1. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

so my .mac account is up for renewal in a month...and i'm on the fence whether i should renew. i could go with a small orange account and get my own domain name (and get mysql, php, etc.) for about the cost of .mac. i don't use iweb. i've finally transferred all email to gmail accounts. and while i do have photo pages the thing i'll miss the most is having a server for posting images (and the backup every now and then). SO, the $100 question is, should i renew? here's the email i received from apple:

the last line got my attention...what could those services be?

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I got the same email. I upgraded.

Whilst I agree that there should be much better services/functionality offered with .Mac for the price, I believe it is only a matter of time for this to happen. I think it will be upgraded significatly when Leopard is released. Apple know that people won't always pay for it for the fact that it integrates well with OSX, and I believe they are acting on it.

I decided to give Apple one more year, knowing how slow they can be (and especially if it requires Leopard for the new features). If they haven't sorted it by next February 2008, I will be finding alternatives.

David

3. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Same here - they didn't update it at all last year (they really didn't update their software much - they spent most of the year with the Intel transition)

Hopefully this year is a big software year for Apple...

4. kugino thread starter macrumors 65816

kugino

this is what i said last year! ;)

what i really want is php/mysql capabilities...and FTP/SFTP would clinch it for me. i'll probably renew, but grudgingly...

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah Leopard and 2008 is crunch time for me as well for .Mac.

6. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I have a renewal leter waiting, 30 days out. Still see no reason to click it. Come on! Give me a reason!!!!

7. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Seems like you know the facts there mate. No one can give you a reason that doesn't exist.

David