New shuffle woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacFan26, Dec 26, 2006.

1. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

So...I've done some searches and can't figure out how to fix my dads new iPod shuffle.

When I first connected it to his iMac running 10.3.9 (and the current iTunes) it said "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click Ignore."

So I went ahead and tried to initialize it which managed to get the attention of iTunes which asked me to restore the iPod before I could use it. So I click restore, it says it worked, and to wait for it to restart and show up in iTunes. I click okay, and then it never shows up in iTunes, just sits there and blinks yellow (and I waited 20 minutes).

If I unplug it and plug it back in again, it does the same thing, doesn't show up anywhere but Disk Utility.

Oh, and the shuffle works fine on my laptop...

I've done restarting and reinstalling and unplugging etc. Any ideas would be appreciated...

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Maybe bad usb port on the iMac. Have you tried a different port on the iMac

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Mine never goes Green when connected though it does when disconnected. Should I return or am I misunderstanding something?

4. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Yeah I've tried a couple different ports. It says not to use the the keyboard (I don't know why) but I also tried it there.

5. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

it says don't use the keyboard ports because they are only USB 1.0 and will be so slow as they aren't powered either.

6. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Oh interesting, thanks :) I guess I'll be calling Apple since I still can't see to have any luck :(

7. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try it on a different computer, if still no luck, then its probably broken. take it back to apple store for a replacement if still in warranty.

9. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

It does work on a different computer, so I'm figuring its gotta be some software problem...I'll keep messing with it

10. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I apologize in advance for asking such a dumb question, but are you SURE you'd pushed it down all the way onto the dock??? The first time I tried my new shuffle, I thought I'd pushed it all the way down, but it was sitting at a slight angle and therefore wasn't all the way down. It acted weird and I figured something must have been wrong, so I tried it again and finally it seated properly and worked just fine.

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Try rebooting. I've had one or two weird issues with USB ports not recognizing what's plugged in, and I think a reboot has fixed it every time.

12. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Haha, yes I'm sure, I know what you mean though, the first time I tried one it tends to look like it's on, but it's not on..

I figured it out (er, with the help of the apple forums). Turns out that I was getting that error message for everything (dvds etc.) It also turns out that deleting a kernel extension for a Lexar flash drive fixed all of the issues... I don't know how the person on the Apple forums found that, but it worked...I believe I need to install the new version of the driver for that flash drive (which they said there is one that works). Crazy...I would have never figured that out myself...a flash drive kernal extension? :confused: Oh well, my dad will be happy that it works now.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You shouldn't need to install a driver for a flash card - they should just work when you plug it in.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Except for the ones that don't :) I've an old SmartMedia reader with the same issue, no driver, no worky.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well that's just bollocks then.

*goes away in a humpf*

16. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Especially since they never bothered with an Intel update :mad: Then I remembered there was card reader on the side of the printer, and there was much rejoicing.

17. MacFan26 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Actually, I guess his doesn't need a driver. I plugged it in and it worked fine without that kernel extension...whatever that did. He must have installed something when he got it though, I don't know how else that extension would have gotten there.