NEW Signs of iBook/MacBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kardashian, May 13, 2006.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hey!

Not sure if this is anything, But I noticed on the Apple Store webbie that they now reffer to the iBook as 'iBook G4' - the same with PBs and PowerMac's.

Is it me that hasn't noticed this before? Or is it that their keeping the iBook name, so they've named the current model G4 to avoid confusion when the Intel version is released?

Sorry to get peoples backs up if its nothing and just me being silly :confused:

Attached Files:

2. iamhammill macrumors 6502

iamhammill

Good spot. But who know's at this point, it seems like almost anything could be made into some sort of hint.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It makes sense for Apple to make the distinction. They've done it with the Powerbook/Macbooks. As it stands though their product grid is getting mighty messy at present so anything to clear the confusion up for consumers is good.

4. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

It has been there since January, since the MacBook Pro and and iMac Intel has been out.

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Oh well, thanks though.

I didn't mean to cause any unnecessary attention, just something I picked up on :)

Hope theres MacBooks soon though..

6. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Maybe it could be considered a sign their keeping the iBook name though? The fact they made a distinction between G4 and Intel.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's possible they'll keep the iBook moniker although I don't think this is an indication. They still refer to the Powerbook G4 even though the newer model is the Macbook Pro. I think they'll go with Macbook but we'll have to wait and see :).

8. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

The Powerbook G4 on apple.com is the 12" only. That version has not yet received intel processors. I do believe that they will use MacBook, but anything is possible.

9. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I'm pretty sure that is not new. The ibook G4 has been the official name since the ibook got a processor upgrade from the "ibook" which had a G3. I'm typing this on last year's 12" ibook and it is labelled "iBook G4" below the screen.

10. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

11. Subiklim macrumors 6502

I don't understand why people keep saying that they'll keep the iBook name! Jobs himself said that he wanted the 'mac' name to be in every computer product, and the name 'macbook pro' makes it quite obvious that there's going to be a less pro machine. It's not that difficult of a concept to understand. Macbook is the name (whether I like it or not) 100% No arguments, no nothing.

12. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

Better question still, why is the PowerBook G4 still there if it isnt being replaced by a smaller MacBook Pro? If its only the iBooks being replaced surely Apple woud have deleted it by now

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I agree with you - like I said in my post I think they'll go with Macbook. But I wouldn't be citing Jobs' word as a gospel on the subject - he's said a lot of things during keynotes/interviews that they haven't followed up on. Better evidence would be the premature posting of Macbook on the iPod page....

14. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I think, (my memory is fading) but i think that it has been like that since the MBP And iMac release.

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i think they mostly went with putting the G4 in just to separate the older technology from newer, not because they will keep the iBook name. If they were keeping iBook, why would Apple add "Pro" to the MacBook Pro? For keeping everything similar, i think they may switch to MacBook when they finally deliver.

16. crazydrumma macrumors regular

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's also always been referred to as the iBook G4, in the sense that, from Rev. A, it said "iBook G4" on the monitor bezel right below the screen. ;)

18. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks everyone.. it wasn't meant as ANOTHER one of them ''MacBooks on Tuesday!" threads - just something I noticed and thought it might be of use to some one :rolleyes:

Oh well, they'll be here in time.. I won't be on the lookout for one 'til CS3 is out :)

19. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

You people stay grasping for straws...sheesh.

20. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Like I said, I don't care when its out really - I'm waiting for CS3 first.

I only posted it for the people that trail MR in hope of a MacBook 'next Tuesday' - incase it was of some significance to them.

I'm not grasping for straws :rolleyes:

21. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Wishful thinking by fans of the iBook name. :p

22. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I think its due to the use of the lower-case 'i' in Apple products and software.

-iMac
    -iPod
    -iWork etc

Not sure, but I think thats why.

Personally, I don't care what they call it, as long as theres an iBook-Intel-Replacement out by Christmas, at no more than £750 Edu. = I'm Happy :rolleyes: