New Sirius Xact ReGo Portable Unit!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by t300, Jan 7, 2005.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I am really excited about this you guys! This will be a perfect companion to my iPod! Say hello...

[​IMG]
    It's your portable satellite radio, with flash expansion for a few MP3's, but then the real kicker is that you can record 4 hours of what's on Sirius...NICE.
    This has some really nice features and was just unveiled at CES. Here are some links for more info. Please, there is no need to respond to this thread just to say you hate Sirius or some other company is better. So what do you guys think?

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/2005/01/xact_rego_siriu.html
    http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/2005/01/rego_portable_s.html

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is my understanding that advertising is not permitted on this forum.

3. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Advertising? What the heck are you talking about? This is a General Tech discussion forum.

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I have XM, and I've never heard Sirius, so I can't really comment on the content. But, I do know that Sirius is more expensive (monthly and for receivers), has far fewer subscribers (700,000 Vs. XM's 3.2 million), and the receivers are crap (or so I hear).

I got my XM radio for christmas (the Delphi SkyFi2), and I shopped around for quite some time. It was a very interesting experience. Whenever I would look, at any store, I always heard the same thing from people: "Excellent choice with the XM. I have Sirius, but it is absolute crap, so I'm switching to XM."

Have you seen the new XM portable receivers? They look pretty nice as well. I have a friend who got a Sirius radio for Christmas. I'm interested in hearing it. That unit looks pretty nice.

Sorry for the Sirius "bashing." Like I said, I've never heard Sirius, but I plan on just checking it out. I'd really like to see this receiver in person before making a judgement call.

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Portable satellite radio and an iPod. A bit much, wouldn't you say.

My new car came with XM and I couldn't care less about it. After using it for the past month, I think I'll subscribe after my initial 6 month freebie. It's a nice break from my iPod. The uncensored comedy channel makes commuting bearable.

6. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I have had Sirius for the past 3 months. Yes XM costs 9.99 a month and sirius costs 12.95 but you get more stations. XM will charge you extra for premium stations (like O&A). So you get everry channel they offer for one price. Howard Stern will be on Sirius soon. Sirius has 3 Satellites XM has 1 (i am pretty sur aboutt that not 100%).

I know i my reciever i can set favorite songs and it alerts me whenver they are playing (even on a different station). 70 music stations are commercial free and have all the DJ's that i love from NY. If you listen to Q104.3, a classic rock station in NYC, you can hear many of those DJ's on Sirius.

7. Macpoops macrumors 6502

If had to choose a Sirius plug and play reciever to go with right now i think that would be it. I bought a Roady2 when it first came out. I like it but i think i will be switching to sirius strictly for Stern within the next year. I don't like any of the current recievers they all seem too big and bulky compared to the XM ones. I know XM is ahead of the game right now releasing their 3rd gen well before sirius.

This looks very much compatible to the Roady2. I'm still waiting to see what else will be coming out before the end of the year

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

First, Sirius is always marketed (at least in the Louisville, KY area) as the "sports" radio. I hate professional sports (except for MLB which XM will have starting in the spring), so I already have 1 plus for XM and a minus for Sirius.

Second, I just read in the WSJ that Sirius and XM have the same number of satellites, and both are planning more launches.

Third, I'm not from NYC, so I don't know the DJ's. Like I said in my post, I've only had my XM radio since Christmas, but I like the DJ's they have. Also XM has the Bob Edwards show, and I have never heard Opie & Anthony (around here we have Bob & Tom who I've heard are like O&A), so I don't subscribe or care to subscribe to the premium channels. I look at it as a plus that they aren't included. I don't want to pay for programming I won't listen to. I also hate Howard Stern, so maybe that's one of the subconscious factors that led me to XM. ;)

Fourth, my Delphi SkyFi2 XM receiver can alert me when a specific artist or song is playing on any station, can display stock information, sports scores, it has a TiVo type feature built in that allows you to pause/record live programming and listen to it anytime you want, and the receiver can be used in the car, boat, or home.

Competition is a good thing though. It's great that we stick so closely to our choices. I prefer XM, you prefer Sirius. We all have different opinions, and that's they way it should be. You can't say "one is better than the other" because you are comparing to very different services. Like I said, Sirius seems (at least to me) to be more focused on sports programming, and XM wants more talk (Bob Edwards, Dr. Laura, G. Gordon Liddy, etc.). I happen to prefer talk.

9. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

I have Sirius on my DishNetwork satellite and i like the content. This looks like it might be an interesting addition to my collection of portable music devices.