new site on the horizon!

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by ratspg, Jul 11, 2004.

1. ratspg macrumors regular

There's a new macsite on the horizon. and yes yes I am a regular and i LOVE macrumors! but just a small little independent mac site looking for some dedicated mac web-ites. looking for people that would enjoy volunteering and getting to be part of working behind a mac site! if anyone is interested head on over to Macghetto.com and clink on the volunteers link! The more volunteers the more fun the site will be. It is open to many ideas and already has some really cool unique ones on the way! Take care, and long live macrumors, this is no competition ! lol :)

2. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

what is the purpose of this site ?

Cheers

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

^

4. phiberoptik957 macrumors newbie

Ghetto?WTF!!

Why would I want to goto a site called mac ghetto? Do you know what a ghetto is?

5. ratspg thread starter macrumors regular

The purpose..

It's purpose is to let the mac community be a bit more hands on in terms of the way content can be told: more community members being active site members, mac radio, just a little more interactivity and people enjoying themselves! Anyone who enjoys doing mac stuff and would want to post reviews, or want to submit music for live streaming, is welcome to join and offer whatever they can! It's for fun! THE purpose of all purposes.
    take care.

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

^^
    What he said.

Why would I want to hang out in the ghetto? :rolleyes: :confused:

7. ratspg thread starter macrumors regular

lol!

lol! :) because this isn't an ordinary ghetto, its macghetto! just some satire, sprinkle some commentary, it's just to be for fun, people that would enjoy it. :) :p :p :) . people who would like to share their knowledge and insight about mac's and their takes on rumors and their own music.
    yup yup.

edit: yes i know what a ghetto is... unfortunately i guess everyone has to be 200% serious... and now in 2004, i do not find the term offensive...and if anyone does they hold their right to that. It's for fun, and for enjoyment and it's ten-fold a better name than if compared to lyrics heard on today's radio.

8. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Among the younger crowd of which I am a part, "ghetto" is a term for a cool place or hangout. ("Woah, that place is ghetto!") That's what I grew up with it meaning.

But of course, this is not the proper name for a mac website because of ghetto's real meaning...

9. ratspg thread starter macrumors regular

yes!

yes, the use of ghetto in 2004 is more of slang.. especially in youth! if people in their teens heard the name of the site they would feel that it means old school macs.. like 'ooh that car is ghetto' means you have a really old car that either a. needs fixing, or b. needs to get replaced! or if comparing a mac performa 630cd to a powermac g5 you would say 'wow what a ghetto mac'.

yes.

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yea, I'd rather hang out 'in da hood.' :D

Edit: now that I take a look at your site, it looks much much better the stupid macrumors. :p Yea, baby! I get to look at a brick wall all day!!!

11. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Exactly, but the site name is still confusing to the older crowd who don't know the slang meaning like we youngins do... ;)

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

A site that is primarily geared for the younger mac users. Sounds like spymac.

13. ratspg thread starter macrumors regular

spymac!?

nooo, impossible, please don't mention spymac in the presence of macrumors.com! eww spymac is well, not good. i think everyone agrees with that. macghetto.com is trying to be nothing like spymac.... eww anything trying to BE like a site that sucks isn't good. :) ratspg = anti-spymac. lol! anyways, its for fun, not trying to block it up with fancy graphics that make pages take forever to load (hmm spymac?) , just fun young mac users looking to have a good time, write awesome commentary, and just expand mac users everywhere!

macrumors.com is one awesome site :)
    spymac.com is one not awesome site

macghetto is for the rest of the users that want to help out with everything mac that they can help out with! Not trying to offer 397890739487 GB of email, not trying to make up rumors! , just trying to make people see and understand macs! because being almost 20 years old, it's sad how many times i hear people say... 'Hey if i buy that white colored laptop (ibook), can i do my homework on it?, can i use AOL on it? can i email people that have windows?' ... hence you see the direction of macghetto :) .... education and fun and well whatever else peoples ideas that volunteer!

cheers.. :)

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm a teen and when I hear "ooh that car is ghetto" it usually means "ooh that car sucks."

I might be out of it, but if a G5 is ghetto, then Beverly Hills must be the projects.

15. ratspg thread starter macrumors regular

lol :)

Very funny :), a powerbook g3 is ghetto, pismo is ghetto, imac g3 is ghetto,

G5's, are definitely not ghetto :) lol... macghetto.com is for people who like to joke around. :)

16. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Not going to any dictionary sites- a ghetto doesn't necessarily refer to a slum but rather any area where a certain group of people is collected together. Example= the Foreigners compound in Saudi Arabia that was attacked by terrorist bombers last year. Even before the bombing, it could be considered as a ghetto. Therefore a Mac Ghetto would be a location where Mac enthusiasts would be expected to be hanging out.

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

ok, this is me being stupid. I didn't read your post properly and thought you said ghetto means, in slang, 'cool' or 'new' or 'old school in a good way.'

See, folks, more reason why you should all read posts, unlike me.

In the words of that stalwart of ancient Greek literature:

"D'oh!"

18. ratspg thread starter macrumors regular

hah

i love sarcasm :) anyways, ghetto has multiple connotations as do many other words in the English language. i just really don't like how i ask for volunteers and people bash on the name of the site... if you are willing to volunteer you should post, if not, i don't see why create 'drama' lol! :) come on this is a friendly forum :)

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

yeah, people are just giving feedback, which is what you should expect. I'm studying for the MCAT right now and don't have too much time for extensive volunteering on this project, but I wish you the best and I'll keep a tab on how things are coming.

20. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I was interested when you first posted, but I don't feel like you have enough worked out to get it off the ground.

Prove me wrong though!
    Good luck...
    Lee Tom

21. EminenceGrise macrumors member

Ghetto sounds about right to me...

See definitions 1 and 3 below.

Dictionary.com says:

ghet·to
    n. pl. ghet·tos or ghet·toes

1. A section of a city occupied by a minority group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure.
    2. An often walled quarter in a European city to which Jews were restricted beginning in the Middle Ages.
    3. Something that resembles the restriction or isolation of a city ghetto: “trapped in ethnic or pink-collar managerial job ghettoes” (Diane Weathers).

22. LuserKid macrumors newbie

Interesting name for a site. I'm just kinda curious what do you want help with. I'm guessing alot since all that is up is an under construction page. Any who it might be fun to help out a little in the ghetto. :) :)

23. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

so many lol's.... make them stop!

I'm somewhat interested in working with you on this....

in fact, i was in the process of making a mac video game website (or just general mac website) at elecrontrap.com (No, I haven't finished making the rollovers yet...... or finished the banner completely...just mainly testing out different graphic scenarios as of now)

I'm a little hesitant to help because I don't really know how much experience you have with designing Websites.... Are you just trying to find someone to design a website for you?

Concerning graphics, I would gladly help with you there during my spare time. I love art and especially computer graphics. But I want to see some progress on this thing before I give it any of my time. I know way too many sites which have died before launch (including 1 of mine)

My experience:
    Perl programming (CGI)
    Html
    Dreamweaver
    Flash
    Photoshop
    Fireworks

What are you experienced with?

I'm a teen, and I would love a more youth oriented site....

Also, have you ever directed a web design project? LIke the previous poster... I'm skeptical how much you have planned...

I guess i should also ask you what other sites you have designed?

there's so many other question i probably have but can't think of because i'm half asleep right now....

anyways, reply here, or PM me...thanks

p.s. to everyone else: If I don't join this site you can most likely expect me to post a topic about my mac website inthe coming months :D