Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
I'm trying to build a new site and having a bit of trouble with the flash not showing up no matter how long i wait, but if i refresh it it shows up. This problem only seems to be within safari and not firefox. Also could someone tell me if it looks alright in IE6.

link removed for google

thanks!!

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Might want to clear up the W3 validation errors first, and work from there.

http://validator.w3.org/

Right now it's showing 10 errors for the page you linked to.

ALA has a nice article about the insertion of media into various doctypes, although I don't have the link to the direct article handy at the moment.

As for IE compatibility, try using browsershots.org.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
wow....browsershots is a great website!

how can you see what errors there are? can you give me an example? thanks

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Not exactly sure what you mean by seeing the errors?

If you mean browsershots, it's simply screenshots from different browsers. You'll have to know your own site's code to know what to tweak/modify for IE, etc.

If you mean with the W3 validator, at http://validator.w3.org/ then you'll have to enter in the url to the page you want to verify, and then it will tell you where the errors are.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
i just can't seem to validate it at all. i guess the coding is that bad :eek:

any ideas how i can even validate it. it says there is an error so it can't validate?

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
That's the point of it. To let you know if your page passes (or not) current validation standards for the document type (DOCTYPE) specified at the beginning of the document.

Most of the errors it points out are minor, so you'll just have to go through the source and see what the validator is picking up on, and then correct it.

You can always use w3.org as a reference, and google google google as well.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
ok, all validated. i have another problem now. the flash is fine in firefox and safari but when i open it in ie6 it shows the flash for a second and then dissapears? anybody?

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
sorted, it was the javascript to stop the ie bug for the activex control in ie6 that was making it dissapear. i don't really know what im doing. ;)

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.