New slow bootup problem

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by chops612, May 4, 2004.

1. chops612 macrumors newbie

I own a 17"PB and when updatign to 10.3.2, like most people, I experienced the slow lagging boot up. I did the sybolic link through the terminal and all has been great until last night. I uninstalled an xbox hid driver, and after I restarted it was slow as hell again. I removed the symbolic link, then replaced it, emptied my caches and repaired my permissions. BTW this is on 10.3.3 now, and still no luck its lagging horribly during startup as if the symbolic link was missing, but it is there!? whats going on please help
    ~Justin

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Here's what I'd do to try to start tracking it down. Power off and power on. At the chime, hit Command+Option+O+F (that's an o not a zero).

When it gets to OpenFirmware, type:

setenv boot-args "-v"
    reset-all

This sets the boot argument for verbose booting. Essentially, you'll see the text that happens during boot.

See what place it is hanging or running slow. It could be pausing at one particular point.

To undo the above, go into OpenFirmware, then type:

setenv boot-args ""
    reset-all

3. chops612 thread starter macrumors newbie

I launched in verbose and still didn't notice anythign inparticular. The last line it went through took awhile i was somthing about IP extension... either way the slowness is at the loading screen that pops up on top of the desktop. It used to go half way then launch the icons and be done, now it loads the whole deal, then goes to a blank desktop, then the spinning beachball, then finally everyhtings there. It is as bad as it was before creatign that sybolic link. I have removed and replaced it and I just reinstalled Panther and all of the updates to get it running fresh again, still runnign slow PLEASE HELP
    ~Justin

4. chops612 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have also noticed that under 10.3.3 the startup times havent got any quicker, today it seemed really slow

6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

My 17" 1.33 is fine with 10.3.3. Is there a firmware update for your 17"? Is it one of the earlier models?

7. chops612 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is the 1ghz G4 with a gig of ram. Apple sucks, stupid 300 dollar insurance. I had already done everything to this comp that they suggested, so they said uhhh well you seem to know what youre doing, we have nothing else to offer. So I am guessing ill have to throw everythign on another hard drive and clear this comp out and reformat and start over. As small as it is it is bugging the hell out of me because even with the symbolic link its slow as hell booting up (almost 3 mins) where it was way under a minute before. Thanks guys lemme know any other ideas

8. Maclvr macrumors newbie

hey there, i own a G4 dual 450 and i've seen that if there is a bad card, connection, or even ram, that the system doesnt like it wont boot up, or it will take longer the usual. :eek: