New Sony Designs in Japan

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by clayj, Sep 2, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I always liked the Vaio line, but I sense not much has changed. It would be nice if the site had an English version.

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

i find it interesting that the vaio-m is like the original apples, with the keyboard attached to the computer.

they really haven't changed the look of them too much, since last i looked at the vaio line a couple years ago. it looks like they've added colors, but that's about it.

4. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Man after looking at the above links 1 conclusion results: Apple OWNS Sony for aesthetics!

5. dcv macrumors G3

I still have an old Sony Vaio laptop and I far prefer the old lilac-coloured designs. I did almost buy an S-series 13.3" widescreen laptop last year but decided to wait a while... then decided to switch to mac. Best decision ever made!

have to say i'm not that impressed by Sony's latest offerings.

do you know since i've had the PB i haven't touched the vaio. thanks for reminding me that i need to get my data off it and sell it on eBay.... :D

6. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I have an old vaio from the end of 2002. Worked well for half a year before i started having dvd problems. Then just inside a year the drive failed completely. Sent it off to them and they quoted me a huge repair bill because apparently the main board was bust - all news to be. In actual fact one small part of where the psu connects has been broken and they said that this could not be claimed under warrantee. As it was i complained a lot and they fixed teh drive under warrantee and because they had the laptop for a couple of months they didn't charge me pick up and return either. I thought that it looked pretty fine when i bought it but if i have it side by side with my powerbook there really is no comparison.

It is a difficult decision for apple, their current PB design is almost perfect but it's been arund too long. Can't help but feel that if they update it they'll get abuse and if they don't it'll be the same story.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Type M concept is interesting, although I feel that it's probably one of those designs that looks magical in the right clean, zen-influenced, minimalist environs, but will be harder to enjoy in a real house or apartment. Well, perhaps not *your* real apartment, Clay, but for the rest of us. ;) But as an idea, I think it's really interesting.

8. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

One thing all of these Sonys have that NO Mac has (out of the box) is a built-in TV tuner with XP Media Center Edition. Even a lot of Sony's notebooks have TV capability built-in.

If Apple really wants to get into the consumer market, they need a Mac mini, iMac, or PowerMac with a built-in TV tuner/recorder.

9. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

not sure i agree with the whole tv tuner thing. I don't have my mac in a place where i'd watch tv and when i'm working i don't need the distraction - having the web there is bad enough. Plus if i want to browse and watch i'll bring my laptop in front of my tv proper. Things might be different if i had a juicy cinema display - maybe this will all change when the mactels turn up.

10. supergod macrumors 6502

TV tuner is a step that should be take, but very carefully. Turning an iMac into a full fledged TV simply sounds foolish. If apple were to have tuner technology in their desktops and then create an iTV app to record and store tv (along with a store to download episodes or series and boxsets) than they would probably reach the next level. I would really love an app like that and am pretty sure everyone else would. And in typical Apple technique they could limit it from being full screen so you have to pay to upgrade to the pro version.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Sony makes nice stuff. Had two of their laptops.

Wonder where they got this idea?:

[​IMG]

Or this one?:

[​IMG]

12. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

If you mean the TV or the Media Center part, they didn't get it from Apple.

But yeah, the form factors do somewhat resemble some of the iMac forms. Apple should be careful not to let their designs get stale... don't forget, Sony has a lot of market penetration here in the US, but Apple's in Japan is somewhat lacking.

EDIT: I've been very happy with the VAIOs I've owned over the years... more notebooks and desktops than I can even remember. Down to one notebook which I hardly use (thanks to my PowerBook), and two desktops which are VITAL and cannot be replaced by Macs.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

Form factor - and I've said it here before - if I have to go back to PC, it'll be a Vaio. I had two of their laptops and I loved them - great machines.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually Compaq also bowed a computer with that sort of form factor long before Apple or Sony.... God, I know I've googled pictures of it before, but I can't remember for the life of me what it's called. A small TFT screen with JBL speakers in a cowl behind the screen, and the CPU and optical drive mounted vertically behind it.

Others too, naturally....

15. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Damn it, it's true they make attractive laptops. However, it was the whole irritation that came about from my vaio problems that pushed me not just to change brand but also leap from one platform to another. I'd swore i'd never go back to them but in a pc showroom these beauties would be the first i'd play with (but would have to go home to my alu 12 incher and assure her that those tramps meant nothing to me!!)

16. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

yea but sony has to be a close second when it comes to computer aesthetics IMHO