New SP 1.25 g4 with 20" ACD or Dual 2ghz g5 no lcd?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by adamfilip, Jul 2, 2003.

1. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

well

here is my conundrum

i can get either a
    new single processor 1.25 g4 tower with a 20" apple LCD
    and apple care

or getta

dual 2ghz g5.. no screen.. and maybe applecare

i currently have a pc with a 21" dell trinitron.

i could use the 21" on the g5 but i love those LCD's!

i am a graphic designer..

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No question what-so-ever! G5! It has to be. Your current monitor sounds pretty good, sure it's no 20" Apple LCD, but a 21" Trinitron is still a very nice screen.

So yes, please, for me, do yourself a favor and get the G5!

3. adamfilip thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

i would love to get the g5.. but id love even more to just have a mac now! :)

your prob right.!

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Oh, he is, hardly a conundrum. :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll love it. :p

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It'll be worth the wait, seriously, the dual 2GHz G5 will make the single 1.25GHz G4 look like a kids play thing from fisher price :eek:

...I am right...;)...trust me...:D

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

CRT

I thought CRTs had better collor managment. If your a grafic desiner.... doesnt a CRT give you more of what you want and more realistic color? I have the 17" Apple LCD at home and I love it. It makes every one (PC heads too) jellouse when they come over and see it. Maybe you could get a 17" and save.. then get a second one ... or a 20" later on. You can never have too much work space

7. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

I had a similar problem when ordering my new G5. Dual proc. or single and a nice LCD. I went with the dually and no monitor. The few months I have to wait will give me time to save for either an LCD or most likely a really nice 19 inch CRT for half the price of a 17 inch LCD.

8. Pete_Hoover macrumors regular

I say go with the dual 2.0GHz G5. You will be happier with it in the long run. It wont get outdated as quickly. In the other hand, it is Rev. A, so don't expect all of the kinks to be worked out.

9. Heltik macrumors regular

Here's a thought. Sell the PC and monitor. And buy an Apple display with the money. Anyway, you still have until maybe, is it September now? before it ships, so you can save until then.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i would max out a proven system, the g5 may have or show a lot of performance but the g4 is proven and coming up in speed. wait and see what these new machines can do. looking for a new machine any g5, have a g4 powermac?? upgrade and see what happens. a 1.467 g4 can move some data.

11. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

one problem with selling the PC - it would only fetch $50 if your lucky. But as for the computer - you will regret not getting a G5 of any sort later on. Also, you will regret not gettinga dually if you could have because, belive me, the more procs and RAM you give OSX - the better it is and with panthers speed improvements, we may finaly see OS9 speed some back into the interface.

i vote DP G5 - you will regret it otherwise.

12. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

g5 for sure.
    invest in the future, not in an old cpu.

13. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Get the G5. You'll probably apreciate buying it in when in 5 years its still running smoothly. ;)

Your current monitor seems to be pretty good. If you really want the Apple LCD, then maybe a few months down the road you could sell the Dell LCD on eBay and get a new Apple Display.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Let's see the single 1.25 MDD is a Rev. A -- last years machine, NO FW800, NO Airport Extreme, NO USB 2.0 Chip (if it ever will work on Rev B's).

Keep the 21" CRT and buy the new G5 machine, at least you won't be a year behind in architecture the day you open the box.

Unless there is some overiding desire to boot into OS 9, some people still do have the need. ;)

15. iGav macrumors G3

Re: CRT

You can calibrate an LCD to be pretty damn close to a CRT for colour management, it's becoming less and less of an issue now with the improvements in LCD technology.

All designers I know use LCD's they just take alittle more time to set up... but it's not something that I or anybody I know have given serious thought too..

Plus they're much better for the eyes...

As for the G4 or G5.... G5 all the way.... although have you considered a a single processor G5 and a LCD?? That'll more than suit your needs as a Graphic Designer... And will still work fine in x years time.

Just a thought... :D

16. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Just don't waste the money and get an Apple Studio Display... save yourself a couple of hundred and get a better quality non-Apple LCD with your G5 :)

17. akushlan macrumors regular

18. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

19. the future macrumors 6502a

You MAY be able to get a better LCD (not much better, though, and certainly not better looking) and you WILL be able to get a cheaper LCD – but there is NO WAY you will get a LCD that is better AND cheaper.

20. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I would agree with most of the people in here and say get the G5. But if you want a system now I'd go with the dual unless you think this system might just be a pit stop until you buy a G5 or more later. The dual will have the super cache on it which will make it much more responsive than the single.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Time for an Apple script to answer these questions

Then the mid-range G5 adds 4 more DIMM slots, speed boost, and PCI-X slots.

About the only thing that wasn't too clear on the spec sheets was whether all G5 machines suffer from the same PCI slot restrictions that the XServe does (ie 3.3V PCI cards).

If they do and you have the old 5v cards then a G4 may be a good bet if you do not want to buy new cards.

22. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

why would anyone want to get a G4 if you could afford a G5???

...forget the LCD and get that beast

(oh, and let's assume that the page2 rumors might be true, you could probably get a matching Apple aluLCD when you can afford one...)

vSpacken