New SP 1.8 GHz PowerMac Devoper Note

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sun Baked, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

2. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Add to that this....

[​IMG]

The picture from the pre-Rev. B service manual. ;)

3. Devie macrumors 6502a

Not really on the subject, but can you self install Bluetooth and Airport in the PM?

4. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Bluetooth is a BTO option if you want the internal USB chipcard (non-standard USB port), otherwise you can use a 3rd party USB module later if you don't mind it taking up a external USB.

Aiport is a user installable item.

5. TorbX macrumors regular

So they wanted it to be like a headless iMac, but did not care to built a new case for it? Or...?

6. TorbX macrumors regular

BTW, how would this thing do (performance) compared to an iMac?

7. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since they are running the the same architecture, they should test out nearly identical (if you set them up the same.)

8. Devie macrumors 6502a

Cheers :D. I'd prolly not worry about getting it BTO then, since I will probably buy a BT mouse later on...

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Can you provide specific examples for your statement? Is it because it uses the U3 Lite and Shasta versus the U3H and K2?

10. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

For awhile the consumer machines and the Pro desktops have used two different chipset...

The new SP 1.8 PowerMac is running the iMac chipset (U3L/Shasta), while the DP 1.8 PowerMac is running the PowerMac/XServe chipset (U3/K2.x) -- less the HT PCI-X bridge chip and no U3H (ecc support for xserve, and faster HT) like the 2.0/2.5 big brother.

Not the first time we've had consumer chipsets in pro-machines, the PowerBooks made the switch from the SDR PowerMac chipset (UniNorth 1.x/KeyLargo) to DDR consumer chipset (Intrepid) with the introduction of DDR memory.

Don't forget we also had a PowerMac chipset in the SDR eMac (UniNorth/KeyLargo) until it switched to the DDR Intrepid chipset with the introduction of DDR recently.

11. TorbX macrumors regular

Im not reall into graphics cards, but... if we step it up a noch from the 5200 ultra-thing with 64 mb ram to the 9800 (?) one with 128 mb... how will thos computer do with gaming? Doom 3 or whatever...

In 3 years, when a new bad-ass graphics card is out, can I put it in?

12. TorbX macrumors regular

This G5 could be tha bomb for me...

I have an LCD screen from before. VGA-thing. Can I use it with this G5?

Is this machine a good purchase, would you say? I'm a iMac G5 byer-kind of guy, the graphics card is the only thing bugging me..

13. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes you should be able to, includes a DVI to VGA adapter in the box.

Which make the machine perfect for those who already have spent the money on a monitor or like to be able to have some room to grow (inside the box.)

14. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Vesta-must be a new name for the FireWire PHY IC.

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You'll need a DVI-to-VGA adapter to use that LCD with a PowerMac G5 (personally, I don't see the point of an LCD that uses anything other than DVI as its interface). The graphics card should be upgradable, to a point. When PCI-Express appears in Macs as the connection of choice for graphics cards, you'll have hit a dead end as far as graphics card upgrades go. I'd certainly buy that SP 1.8 GHz G5 if it was in my market segment (if I was going to buy a new Mac today, it would be a Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5).