[NEW] Spigen Saturn aluminum case and the Slim Armor in seven new colors

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Giuly, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Giuly, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

macrumors 68040

Giuly

2. macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Yeah, I'm still waiting for them to make the reventon yellow available....

I've tried to ask when the other colors would be in stock and no reply after a few days. The cases look great but why would they put another case out when they haven't made their most recent Slim Armor Colors available. Sorry just getting annoyed.:cool:

3. macrumors 6502a

I just received the gunmetal Slim Armor for my i5.

Gotta say, it's very much worth it. Now I just need to find a good screen protector. The stock Verizon ones are horrible.

4. macrumors 65816

That orange or yellow will be mine. :cool:

5. ip4
    macrumors newbie

ip4

[NEW] Spigen Saturn aluminum case and the Slim Armor in seven new colors

Really disappointed that they only did cut outs for the sleep/wake button and volume buttons for the Saturn case... I wish they had done actual buttons like on the slim armor case.

6. Giuly, Feb 21, 2013

thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

7. macrumors member

Gooter

The Slim Armor original (metal) and the new Slim Armor colors only have cutouts for the mute switch. The sleep/wake and volume controls use buttons on the case. Also, the speaker holes and port have a smaller cutout than on the Saturn; looks like the entire bottom piece is exposed on the Saturn except the corners.

8. Giuly, Feb 21, 2013

Giuly

Yes, but the Saturn is not like the Slim Armor.
    The Slim Armor cases have a body of soft TPU, which also forms the buttons.
    The Saturn has a body of thin polycarbonate like the Ultra Thin Air, which also has cutouts as opposed to buttons, but with aluminum to match the design of the iPhone.

9. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Glas.t.R dude

10. macrumors 6502a

I would, but I suck at applying the protectors and I'm pretty sure it would look like crap.

:mad:

11. macrumors member

Do the hinge method. But with the glas.tr just take a bit longer to line it up before taping so you can just let it drop one time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMPqDwVZzzM

12. macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I think you're onto something!

13. macrumors member

Order some of the cheap ones from ebay, the ones that come like 5-8 for a dollar or two and practice.

14. JNGold, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

macrumors 6502a

The Saturn looks a ripoff of the Elago Outfit which has been out for months and was one of the first cases I picked up for the iPhone 5. Needless to say, I didn't use it for very long.

http://elagostore.com/elago-S5-Outfit-Aluminum-and-Polycarbonate/M/B009RZGN14.htm

15. Giuly, Feb 21, 2013

Giuly

If you however compare them, the Spigen Saturn has the nicer design of the two, the elago just has an inserted plate with borders around it, the Saturn one is properly fitted and flush, and the design is more refine around the chamfered edge. Also one is glossy while the other one is matte.

The aluminum comes in two flavors though on the elago: Unbrushed in Black, White, Dark Gray, Jean Indigo and Hot Pink:
    [​IMG]
    As well as in brushed aluminum and more earthy colors (Dark Gray, Camo Green, Chocolate, Red and Orange) as the elago S5 Outfit MATRIX:
    [​IMG]

16. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Free replacements if you mess up the installation

17. macrumors 6502a

Aside from the color selection, I think you are splitting hairs.

18. thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

I've just examined the differences between them. And personally, I prefer the design of the Spigen Saturn.

19. macrumors regular

i have 3 of the Elago Outfit's (Black/Grey/Red), the aluminum insert is very much FLUSH on them too...

tried the Saturn and it's slightly thicker than the Elago and not quite as nice of quality for $7 more (you can pick up the Outfit for $9.99-$12.99 on Amazon). i def prefer the matte finish of the plastic on the Outfit vs. the glossy of the Saturn.

20. macrumors regular

I just wrote a review on it here!

21. Giuly, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

Giuly

Well, what I meant was not that it's not flush on the surface, but that it's not edge to edge:
    [​IMG]

But judging from Steevies pictures, the same hold true for the Spigen Saturn:
    [​IMG]

Also, based on the fact that both Spigen and elago are 'Designed in California, made in Korea', both the elago S5 Outfit and the Spigen Saturn come probably from the same Korean factory, to say the least.

Yet, the colors of the Spigen match the iPhone, which is way nicer than the Uni-colors of the elago.

22. Giuly, Feb 25, 2013

Giuly

The Reventon Yellow Slim Armor Cases is available now. :)

Edit: Err, just for preorder. But still.

23. macrumors newbie

I really like the attention to detail in on the saturn. it actually looks like they tried to imitate the iphones shape and design.

24. macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

I just got the Slim Armor(Amazon), the satin silver, but did order an orange back plate(spogen), orange is my favorite color as you can probably tell from the pics lol

I think the case looks good, feels good.

What do you guys think of the color with the home button?

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

another view of the case

what's the general take on home buttons?

Attached Files: