Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcliden

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
San Diego
So, I was browsing through the Spigen website wondering why everything is OUT OF STOCK :mad: when I found these! This one differs from their original GLAS.t in that these have rounded edges (hence the 'R'). There IS a price difference between the 2, the original is $27.99 and this one is $34.99. Apparently, the rounded edges are more resistant to edge chipping. I know some people experienced chipping problems. Is anyone considering buying this over the original GLAS.t for few more bucks?

iphone5_glastr01_0000_iphone5.jpg

link: http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone-5-screen-protector-glas-tr-premium-tempered-glass-series.html

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
So, I was browsing through the Spigen website wondering why everything is OUT OF STOCK :mad: when I found these! This one differs from their original GLAS.t in that these have rounded edges (hence the 'R'). There IS a price difference between the 2, the original is $27.99 and this one is $34.99. Apparently, the rounded edges are more resistant to edge chipping. I know some people experienced chipping problems. Is anyone considering buying this over the original GLAS.t for few more bucks?

link: http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone-5-screen-protector-glas-tr-premium-tempered-glass-series.html

so instead of fixing the flaws associated with the original product, they released a brand new product...

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
I hate when Spigen does this, especially when I just bought a Glas.t earlier in the week. They did the same stuff when the galaxy s3 screen protectors as well.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
sweet now waiting for some slick deals before jumping in. I am loving my Otterbox Commuter along with GeneriK Antiglare/anti Fingerprint screen protector. Add a slight bit of thickness to the screen but keep that gorgeous color saturation and resolution.

Generik AG/AF Screen Protector

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Just bought and installed a bodyguardz pure glass. I definitely would have considered this. :rolleyes:

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
so instead of fixing the flaws associated with the original product, they released a brand new product...

This statement makes zero sense. They DID fix it by improving the edge. Maybe you're confused because they changed the name... :confused:

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This statement makes zero sense. They DID fix it by improving the edge. Maybe you're confused because they changed the name... :confused:

He's saying they didn't acknowledge the flaws in the first version and instead, release a new version while still selling the old flawed version.

Fluttershy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Australia
If anyone here has this - I would love to know how the thickness of the protector affects accessing the home button.

roomer11

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
If anyone here has this - I would love to know how the thickness of the protector affects accessing the home button.

Didn't have this upgraded version, but the original glas.t, the home button is slightly recessed but I ain't using the provided sticker and find that it still works sufficiently fine.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
How does this screen protector interact with slider type cases? I have the Incase slider which I really like and would like this glass protector if it fits with my case. Also, is their any noticeable weight increase with this protector compared to a regular one?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

No, they capitalized on a flaw to sell the proper product for more. I dont see them offering an exchange to customers...especially those who recently bought that would be reasonable.

I just bought one and its unopened. I just sent an email for an RMA and purchase the newer version.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
How does this screen protector interact with slider type cases? I have the Incase slider which I really like and would like this glass protector if it fits with my case. Also, is their any noticeable weight increase with this protector compared to a regular one?

I believe there is sufficient space around the perimeter to support it. I would put the case on then add the Glas.T

This is not 100% for sure, and once you open the pack you cant return it.

Something else I considered doing was applying the new button raising sticker first and perfectly, then letting it guide the placement of the glass.t Have not tried it just considering...

jackwins

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Ordered 2 of the GLAS.t 'R' protectors for my 5 yesterday (just in case I screw up the first install). I'll let you know how it turns out.

floss

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Ordered 2 of the GLAS.t 'R' protectors for my 5 yesterday (just in case I screw up the first install). I'll let you know how it turns out.

~$70 for screen protection...pretty wild. Wanna sell me your other protector at a discount if your first application is successful? :D

jackwins

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
~$70 for screen protection...pretty wild. Wanna sell me your other protector at a discount if your first application is successful? :D

Yeah, Ive always been the guy to have a backup for everything. And no, I wont sell the 2nd if the first is successful :D

bAllllAd

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Normally i never use screen protector.
But i just ordered GLAS tR.
i don't know What i thinking :D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.