New staff find White House in tech Dark Ages

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 23, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 601

t0mat0

Wonder if they can replace a lot of the PCs there with Macs. Would be an interesting development.

3. macrumors member

Another non-story story, praising the One. Please wake me up when there's a new god the media need us to worship to prop up their failing empires.

4. macrumors 68030

.Andy

You didn't read the story. The fact your comment isn't related to it at all gives it away.

It must be hard to move that many people into any workplace and get everything up and running in such a short space of time. The logistics of such a move is usually something that I'd not give much thought to, especially compounded by lashings of bureaucracy.

5. macrumors 65816

alexbates

They are. I saw an article that said Obama was planning to give all the staff new Intel MacBooks. This must be the only good decision Obama has made.

6. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

Actually, the story is interesting in the questions it proposes. Upgrading the tech in the White House is rather simple conceptually but it requires massive oversight. Tracking and cataloguing all communications, both private and personal is rather daunting. The article is naive in that it can not confirm or disclose what is happening behind the scenes, which is a completely different story.

UNIX is the standard in Government encryption databases, and I imagine what is running behind close doors is nothing to scoff at. Besides, what do staffers really need access to at work? The internet through massive firewalls, secure email accounts, scheduling, spreadsheets and word processing. Are we all supposed to find our favorite Bush effigy to pelt with rotting vegetables because staffers previously couldn't play Doom, photoshop and instant message on 9 different accounts simultaneously?
    Please...

7. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

That doesn't surprise me too much. The RSS blog from the whitehouse never makes any sense:

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

You have to find and add in all the missing black CIA censor bars, then it makes absolute perfect sense. :D

9. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Get it, the dark ages? I kill me.

10. macrumors regular

No...I don't.