New Star Wars movie 'a bloodbath'

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, May 4, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The new Star Wars film is a "bloodbath" which deserves its parental guidance PG-13 rating, a critic has said after an early screening of the movie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4513837.stm

Associated Press writer David Germain described its action as "relentless".

"It includes sequences more dark and disturbing than anything previously seen in the tragic Skywalker soap opera," he said.

Hope Jar-Jar is invited to the party :)

2 weeks to go.

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

The scene I read about regarding the little Jedi's could be disturbing for an 10 year old IMHO. Maybe they'll play it down.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I saw an advance screening. Lucas doesn't actually show them getting killed, although that would have been great too. He leaves it to your imagination to come up with the gory details.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I got the impression that we would not see it actually happen, but that as Luke saw the bodies of Beru and Owen in Star Wars, so Yoda will see bodies in Sith.

If Jar Jar met the demise most of us believe he deserves, the film would be rated R if they even described how bad it was, NC-17 if they showed it. :)

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Parents can cry all they want, but Lucas will tell the story as it is meant to be told. He is not going to dumb down a crucial link in the story because a few parents are upset. That would be stupid. Personally, I can't wait...

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree. Lucas is perfectly capable of screwing up his own movies w/o any outside help. :p

Lethal

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'd heard Lucas describe the film as being 'very dark', but a bloodbath? Brilliant – can't wait! My ticket is stashed away in a very safe place...

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think it would be better if he wasn't there at all - even if he was cut up into little tiny pieces....

Can't wait to see the it though :D

D

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

He was just annoying - I don't hate him. If he wasn't in the first one at all, it wouldn't have made that much difference.

I think the main thing, though, is that if they had made him more intelligent and cool, as opposed to comic relief (or comic stupidity) it would have worked better.

I can't imagine there were all that many kids who wanted to be be JarJar for Halloween the year it came out....

D

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont like him, but he didnt bother me either

this new film should be interesting, i didnt mind the second episode, and the first was so/so...looking back at the originals they weren't that great either, but they are fun movies

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, but you have to look back to the time they actually happened and realize that Star Wars: A New Hope (IV) changed the movie industry. There hadn't been anything like that at that scale when it came out. And then everyone wanted to do one.

This happens every decade or so with movies - The Matrix was another - how many times have you seen the stop motion effect in other movies or spoofed?

D

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

oh that i totally agree about, Lucas and starwars certianly pushed effects in a new direction, i will certainly credit them with that, but it was the story writing that i was referring to that wasnt all that grand even then...

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

My only dislike with the whole prequels was George's decision to cast Anakin Skywalker as a pretty boy. Also, it would have been much more believable if they cast young Anakin with an actor with some acting talent, like Haley Joel Osment.

15. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    14 Days till Episode 3!

If it's going to be a bloodbath, then I'll be bathing away along with 20 of my co-workers on opening night (we're storing our tickets in the company safe). I can't say how many horrible ways we've dreamed up for Jar-Jar to meet his end, it's a shame he appears to live through it.

I have a friend who works for Lucasfilm, and they're all seeing it this Saturday morning at 9am. In 2002, a friend of mine was working for Dolby and I got to see Episode II with him two weeks prior to the theatrical release.

I'm not going to be too optimistic, but initial reports back seem to indicate this one is finally going to be a good film!

16. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The new episodes are much more cartoonish than the older ones. General Grievous comes to mind. The story line keeps being pushed aside for special effects.

Lucas could do more with less and it would probably make for a better movie.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The 3D dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, a 12-year old film, looks more real than the creatures in the second half of Attack of The Clones.

18. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I couldnt help myself and got the book and tore through it. I read it in like 3 days (pretty darn fast for me). I couldnt put it down. If the movie is half as good as the book or even a quarter good as the book, it will be freaking awesome. Best book I've read in a while.

Violent, yes. But in the book at least, it only hints at Anikan killing the young padowans (or whatever they are). It leaves it up to you to fill in the details. The movie may be different, but I doubt it.

And I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, either. I like them, but dont think they are the greatest movies ever. Particularly the first two prequals. This one, however, has me counting the days till its in the theaters. I'll be there at mid-night on Wednesday.

19. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've never been impressed with a movie after reading the book first. I hope it's as good as you say the book was though. I also hope they sell me on Anikan's transformation to the dark side...

20. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Don't we all?

21. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Sold me on his turn. Of course if you over think anything you can punch holes in it. The book does a realy good job of showing you his thinking and internal conflicts, which I think by its very nature the film wont be able to do. Even after you watch the movie, I would recommend reading the book.

Something else I never got from the movies is how almost god-like he and Obi Wan were as it related to the Clone Wars. They were like living legends that people turned to when the impossible was needed and they always came through. Celebrities, almost. That makes the turning even more tragic.

I'll shut up now before my excitement makes me ruin the movie for someone. :eek:

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It would be better if Yoda goes to Jar Jar and says, "you suck" and kills him in a lightsaber battle. :p

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That would imply that Jar Jar had a lightsaber. I'd prefer either:

- Jar Jar starts a sentence: "Meesa..." and Yoda slices off his head and finishes the sentence: "... dead. Dead, yousa is. Annoying moron you were, but no more."

- Or, Jar Jar picks up Anakin's lightsaber and accidentally runs himself through with it. Anakin picks up the lightsaber just as Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Mace Windu walk in. Anakin: "I didn't do it, I swear!" The others don't believe him, pushing him further down the path to the Dark Side of the Force. That's right, folks: Jar Jar is responsible for Darth Vader.

24. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I'm about to shamelessly hijack this thread here.

So I've been thinking, is Anakin the chosen one, or is it Luke? I'm just wondering because Vader does end up killing Sidious in ROTJ after all.

The wheels in my head started spinning when in the trailer during the Obi Won vs. Anakin battle Obi Won says something to the effect of "You were supposed to be the chosen one.".

25. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I would hope so considering the subject matter. If the story gets caught up in the comic relief of Jar Jar or C3PO then it will be a waste of time. This is supposed to be about the triumph of the Dark Side (no matter how temporary) over the Republic. Let's see - Anakin becomes the cruel and evil Darth Vader, Amidala dies, the Jedi are massacred, and tyranny triumphs. How is that anything other than "dark and disturbing"? Hopefully it will also be the best of the first three movies. I know that is not shooting at a very high mark, but I can dream that Lucas recaptures some of the magic of his earlier movies.