Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
I just opened by brand new 12' iBook, and i am having a wonderful time playing with this baby. one concern of mine is regarding the stock 40GB hd. when i open up Mac HD (btw this is my first mac) it says i only have 24GB of free memory. it seems that all the preloaded data is eating up a bunch of space. if i had known that nearly half my hd would be used up out of the box, i prolly would have ordered a 60gb hd. is there something im not seeing? or does os x really take up 16GBs?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Bowser said:
I just opened by brand new 12' iBook, and i am having a wonderful time playing with this baby. one concern of mine is regarding the stock 40GB hd. when i open up Mac HD (btw this is my first mac) it says i only have 24GB of free memory. it seems that all the preloaded data is eating up a bunch of space. if i had known that nearly half my hd would be used up out of the box, i prolly would have ordered a 60gb hd. is there something im not seeing? or does os x really take up 16GBs?

I would just insert the disks, reformat the HD, and only install the printer drivers/languages you need. This will cut down on a lot. Things like garageband also take a lot!

Bowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
so i'm guessing the preloaded stuff does eat up 16+GBs (now that the updates are being installed). how the hell could anyone get by with an old 30GB hd, when you only have 13-14 GB after all the updates? ima have to save up for an external HD i guess. no biggie, just a little shocking

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Bowser said:
so i'm guessing the preloaded stuff does eat up 16+GBs (now that the updates are being installed). how the hell could anyone get by with an old 30GB hd, when you only have 13-14 GB after all the updates? ima have to save up for an external HD i guess. no biggie, just a little shocking

Well up to 10% of the drive is gone after formatting. That's 4 GB. Apple recommends 4.3 GB for iLife. Apple recommends 3 GB for OSX. That's over 11 gigs right there.

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
where do you get that fact, you dont lose up to 10% of ur drive unless you seriously mess up on formatting, i usually do not lose any at all

Capt Underpants said:
Well up to 10% of the drive is gone after formatting. That's 4 GB. Apple recommends 4.3 GB for iLife. Apple recommends 3 GB for OSX. That's over 11 gigs right there.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
mpopkin said:
where do you get that fact, you dont lose up to 10% of ur drive unless you seriously mess up on formatting, i usually do not lose any at all
i seem to have lost a lot more on my 300gb drive (21gb) than on my 80gb drive (~5gb) but a 40gig drive is not actually quite 40gb due to different ways of measuring stuff and binary and whatever the hell all that crap is i really dont know :rolleyes:
see the following thread if you want to read more: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/137412/

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
mpopkin said:

Well I don't have a specific source, but I know that I've heard it. I'm watching the sixth sense, so I'm pressed for time. But on my 4 GB mini, the formatted size was 3.67 GB. On my 40 GB HD, the formatted space was less than 37 GB. While it's not 10%, it's close.

Maybe others can back me up on this.

Please tell me how you didn't lose space formatting. Must be magic.

Bowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
so someone in that thread referred to a disk utility program that can free up some gbs. how do i use this program? moreover, does this reformat the hd (im kinda avoiding reformating my hd since i just got this thing, and i want to get accustomed to osx before doing anything serious)?

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Bowser said:
so someone in that thread referred to a disk utility program that can free up some gbs. how do i use this program? moreover, does this reformat the hd (im kinda avoiding reformating my hd since i just got this thing, and i want to get accustomed to osx before doing anything serious)?

I referred to delocalizer (linked to in the previous post). You download it and install it. You will select all of the languages that you don't want (presumably all but english), and it will go through and delete all of those languages from your hard drive. It doesn't reformat the HD. It just deletes the foreign language files.

Bowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
what exactly are these foreign language files? do they just allow osx to be displayed in different languages? do these files effect what languages can be displayed (i.e if i go to a japanese site, do these files allow me to see the actual characters)?

i was referring to the other thread regarding the disk utility prog, someone in that thread said that program can free up some room, but i was unsure what that program was.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Bowser said:
what exactly are these foreign language files? do they just allow osx to be displayed in different languages? do these files effect what languages can be displayed (i.e if i go to a japanese site, do these files allow me to see the actual characters)?

i was referring to the other thread regarding the disk utility prog, someone in that thread said that program can free up some room, but i was unsure what that program was.

Well I googled "Japanese site" to see if it would display the characters, and sure enough it did. I don't really know what the files are for, but I don't speak any of the languages so it's pretty much pointless to me.

verozov

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2005
Columbia, SC
my bought an emac w/ an 80gb hd... which actualyl turned out to be a 76.4 or sumthin like that GB hd... then about 70GB was left after OSX, etc....

nowhere near 16 gigs... thats serious space... i'd try what other people said and reinstall

Bowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
damn, i guess reinstall is in order. prolly should do it now, and not after i've downloaded stuff. . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.