New Super drives in iMacs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by strider42, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Over at the iMac discussion forums on apple's site, a user commented that his superdrive was recognized as a Sony DW-U10A in his new 17 inch iMac. He's asking whether that means it supports DVD+R and DVD+RW now. I'm sure apple doesn't support it, but I can't find any info on this drive mechanism. Anyone know about it and how it differs from the drives apple normally uses.

Edit: I found this page that has some specs: http://www.dvd-rwmedia.com/burner10.html Looks pretty interseting to me. Does third party burning software support these other formats

2. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Re: New Super drives in iMacs

Right on! If this is true Apple has positioned itself to extend the value of its customer's iMac purchase. They should be able to enable +R +RW with a firmware update, assuming it's currently disabled. MS and others support +R +RW. This is a good thing. If + becomes the standard, iMac owners won't be left out in the cold. Good move by Apple. Very good...

3. strider42 thread starter macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Re: New Super drives in iMacs

I doubt it would even take a firmware update. the current super drives support DVD-RW, but apple software does not. Third party software does however. No firmware update necessary, just updated software.

4. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Re: Re: Re: New Super drives in iMacs

You're right. Unless Apple has had the CD's firmware disabled, Toast Titanium or another app should do just fine.

5. Bear macrumors G3

It's not MS that supports DVD+R[W], it's the various drive manufacturers and software makers. Roxio does the burning software for XP.

Anyway, Dell sells DVD+R drives, Gateway sells DVD-R drives... talk about a divided market.

Note that the DVD+R/RW has nothing to do with the DVD Video standard. Only DVD-R's come with the DVD logo ("DVD" over an oval.)

6. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Hardware, was, about 50/50 last year. Here's an article to read, last April but the first one I could find in a hurry. http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-880122.html

The best bet right now is a combo drive, and the Sony is a good unit. I'm very pleased about its inclusion in the iMac.

7. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

It could be that...

I read somewhere that due to divided DVD format (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RAM, etc etc etc) Sony decided to make some of their new drives ALL DVD format compatible, except for DVD-RAM. So maybe iMac is recognizing this drive merely as a DVD-R.

8. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

DVD+RW

We bought a Philips DVD+RW stand-alone VCR replacement at christmas, and made some recordings from the TV, but neither my combo drive (Dual 867) nor the combo drive in my dad's iBook (ice, 500) would read it.

Any ideas?

Is there a way to get Apple's DVD player to play these discs, or is it to do with havin a combo drive rather than a superdrive?

9. Bear macrumors G3

Re: DVD+RW

As stated above, DVD+RW is not really a DVD format. it just uses the same size media as DVD.

Only drives that specifically say they support DV+RW will read it.

The Panasonic DVD Recorder (VCR replacement) uses standard DVD-R media to record on, so you have many more options on where to play your recorded TV shows. DVD-R will even play on the PlayStation 2, DVD+R won't.

10. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Yes, DVD+R/RW isn't compatible with most of the DVD machines out there. That's why sensible companies (Apple) are going with DVD-R instead of DVD+R variants. But from what I've read, DVD+R/RW does have significant advantage in terms of being used as computer storage media. It is supposed to function similar to ordinary zip or floppy disk, meaning you don't have to go through hassle of burning a disc everytime you need to save something.

11. RonyD macrumors newbie

I wonder if this means that iDVD 3 will be updated to support Sony drives. I've got a trusty DRU-500A Sony drive just waiting for the likes of iDVD and DVD SP. I considered purchasing a retail Pioneer A05 as a second drive for the Mac, but given this news, maybe I should wait.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

On machines 1-2 years old DVD+Rs will play as good as DVD-Rs. The older the machine though the less likely +Rs will play on it while the -R compatiblity remains relatively unchanged.

Lethal

13. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, which DVD players support DVD+R is a brand by brand thing. not all brands have DVD+R capability.

14. moby1 macrumors 6502

The iMac 4X drives do work quite well.

I burned a couple of DVD-R's at 4X speed at the Apple Store. They burned in under 10 min. each and verified in Toast just fine.

And yes, they are Sony drives.

15. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: The iMac 4X drives do work quite well.

Yes, but will a DVD+R/RW disc be recognized? That is the question.

16. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Re: The iMac 4X drives do work quite well.

Have apple switched all their Superdrives to sony (or at least the 4x ones)?

17. i_wolf macrumors regular

Dia duit JayKay,

An bhfuil tú i do chonaith sa Chorcaigh? Chonaic mé sa 'thread' eile,...... yada yada.... ive established that im irish as well here!
    Hows it goin? What do you reckon of the new millenium spike thingy.... absolute waste of Charlie McCreevey's money IMO!
    I noticed you saying in another thread about the guy bitching about his 17" powerbook not arriving yet that you get yours within 2 -3 weeks.... presumably because your living in Cork near the factory. Im in Dublin and i was told to wait another 6 weeks if i order today from the crowd down there.
    Anyhow just sayin hows it goin to another irish person.
    Take it easy,
    i_wolf

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And not all brands can read DVD-R. And even if player can read DVD-R it might not be able to read some brands of DVD-R media.

The problem is usually the physical properties of the media (not if it's + or -). Namely how reflective (thus easier to read) the DVD media is. The R/W (- or +) media is the least likely to be playable in a stand alone player because it is the least reflective thus the hardest to read.

And the above is just another reason why burning DVDs at home can be a real b*tch sometimes. ;)

Lethal

19. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.