Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
...in horsepower, at least.

I've always thought that the Bristol's products were interesting; this time they've chucked a twin-turbo Viper V10 into a Fighter to create the Fighter T. 1012hp, more power than the Veyron! top speed of 225, though Bristol claims that without the governer it could do "over 270mph". Probably not with any kind of controllability though. :eek:

It also highlights (once again) that the 8 liter as fitted to the Viper is the laziest engine in the world. Should be giving 700-800 horses without forced induction.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
over a second slower on 0-60...

and nowhere near as tasty as the veyron if you ask me.

if i had a car with that much horsepower, i'd expect a sub 2.8 second launch to 60mph..

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
It also highlights (once again) that the 8 liter as fitted to the Viper is the laziest engine in the world. Should be giving 700-800 horses without forced induction.

Americans for yee!

My fav cars (TVR) get 380bhp out of a 4 litre engine. They also have a 500bhp (Typhon) that I believe is a 5 litre.

British engineering is best. Just not enough of it!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The thing is, the Viper engine should come out of the factory with 700+hp. As it is it's just a hot-rodded truck engine.

The Chevy LS series of engines are kinda lazy too, but they still have significantly higher specific outputsthan the Viper engine, they spin faster and they have a nice LeMans-winning pedigree. The C6 Corvette is a much better car too.

Still, both of these engines pale in comparison (as far as specific output/max rpm goes) to the current M5 engine.

But the Fighter T just puts out insane power...they should make it a Bond car.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The Chevy LS series of engines are kinda lazy too, but they still have significantly higher specific outputsthan the Viper engine, they spin faster and they have a nice LeMans-winning pedigree. The C6 Corvette is a much better car too.

Still, both of these engines pale in comparison (as far as specific output/max rpm goes) to the current M5 engine.

Did you mean by Redline or by the numbers produced at certain RPM? Or Both. Yes, the V10 in the M5 has a higher redline(8000 RPM) then the LS7 V8 in the Z06( 7000 RPM). But, for power output at RPM, the LS7 is up there with the V10. The V10 makes 500 HP at 7750 RPM. The LS7 makes 505 HP at 6300 RPM. The V10 makes it's highest torque(383 lb) at 6100 RPM. The LS7 makes its most torque( 470 lb) at 4800 RPM. Yes, the displacement in the V10 is 5 liters and the LS7 is 7 liters. But, the difference is in the design. The V10 is a 4 valve DOHC. The LS7 is a 2 valve OHV. But, I don't care about liters. Not because of the " Nothing can beat displacement" tagline, because whats the point of trying to see how good the engine is by the HP/liter thing? Is it impressive if a company can get 900 HP out of a 3 liter V10( actually does exist in a F1 car)? Yes it is, but doesn't mean the LS7 needing 7 liters to produce 505 HP is a bad engine. It also doesn't mean the LS7 is a gas guzzler as the Z06 gets 16/26 EPA fuel economy and thus avoids the gas guzzler tax.

Anyway..... The Gen V Small Block V8 should be even better with 3 valves and maybe even Direct Injection. Don't know when it will be debuted.

downhillboy86

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2006
San Luis Obispo, CA

You guys need to stick to criticizing computers :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you only want to go 225MPH quick, there is always the Brabus Rocket -- and it is a similarly priced 4-door sedan, so you can kill the entire family when you crash. ;)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Americans for yee!

My fav cars (TVR) get 380bhp out of a 4 litre engine. They also have a 500bhp (Typhon) that I believe is a 5 litre.

TVR is Russian now Comrade!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
They dont really need it they way about as much as a fart :D

0-60 in 3.4 seconds kinda illustrates my fart theory.

The Z06 does 0-60 in 3.4 seconds in a Motortrend test. GM says 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. All for $70K. The Z06 weighs 3,132 lb.

Yeah, sad thing about the British Auto industry. Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover being bought out by Ford. Rolls Royce and Mini bought out by BMW. Are there any big British car companies left that haven't been bought out?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Yeah, sad thing about the British Auto industry. Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover being bought out by Ford. Rolls Royce and Mini bought out by BMW. Are there any big British car companies left that haven't been bought out?

Noble
. Fantastic cars.

Anyway I didn't mean to criticize engines with smaller specific outputs. I'd put the LS7 up against just about any engine in terms of being a piece of good engineering. The M5 engine (S85 I believe) is amazing but has its own weaknesses. For one thing, it's heavier than the LS7.

But the Viper engine is still too lazy - unless it's in a Fighter T! :D

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Did you mean by Redline or by the numbers produced at certain RPM? Or Both. Yes, the V10 in the M5 has a higher redline(8000 RPM) then the LS7 V8 in the Z06( 7000 RPM). But, for power output at RPM, the LS7 is up there with the V10. The V10 makes 500 HP at 7750 RPM. The LS7 makes 505 HP at 6300 RPM. The V10 makes it's highest torque(383 lb) at 6100 RPM. The LS7 makes its most torque( 470 lb) at 4800 RPM. Yes, the displacement in the V10 is 5 liters and the LS7 is 7 liters. But, the difference is in the design. The V10 is a 4 valve DOHC. The LS7 is a 2 valve OHV. But, I don't care about liters. Not because of the " Nothing can beat displacement" tagline, because whats the point of trying to see how good the engine is by the HP/liter thing? Is it impressive if a company can get 900 HP out of a 3 liter V10( actually does exist in a F1 car)? Yes it is, but doesn't mean the LS7 needing 7 liters to produce 505 HP is a bad engine. It also doesn't mean the LS7 is a gas guzzler as the Z06 gets 16/26 EPA fuel economy and thus avoids the gas guzzler tax.

Anyway..... The Gen V Small Block V8 should be even better with 3 valves and maybe even Direct Injection. Don't know when it will be debuted.

If I ever become a multi-millionaire, as the Italians would say, con brio ....a Ferrari, is a Ferrari, is a Ferrari.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=20&article_id=3610

In the guise of the FXX:
789hp@8.5k, 506ft/lb torque@5750 rpm and the kind of normally aspirated 6.3l engine of visceral mechanical orchestral music that only Ferrari can make sing!

Shanghai Auto show, red-leather 'racing suit' model, optional :)

202932763262460.jpg

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
If you want to go 225MPH+ REALLY REALLY quick, buy a Tomahawk. 4 wheeled motorcycle with a Viper engine.

That'd be a waste of money. Buy either a Suzuki Hayabusa, or a Kawasaki ZX-14r Ninja and slap an after market turbo on. 250-300++ HP on a motorcycle then... Yeeehaaa!

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
That'd be a waste of money. Buy either a Suzuki Hayabusa, or a Kawasaki ZX-14r Ninja and slap an after market turbo on. 250-300++ HP on a motorcycle then... Yeeehaaa!

Last time I checked, 500>300. The Tomahawk has a theoretical top speed of nearly 400MPH, even without a fairing or windscreen. I bet its 0-60 is only limited by the traction (or lack thereof). I mean, the Viper has a hard enough time, with wider tires and more weight.

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
Americans for yee!

Don't make the mistake of comparing engines on a horsepower to displacement ratio. Car enthusists these days compare engines on a horsepower to the engines actual weight ratio as weight is the enemy of cars performance. LS7 in this regard is one of the best mass produced engines in the world. Also, horsepower wins sales, torque wins races.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Don't make the mistake of comparing engines on a horsepower to displacement ratio. Car enthusists these days compare engines on a horsepower to the engines actual weight ratio as weight is the enemy of cars performance. LS7 in this regard is one of the best mass produced engines in the world. Also, horsepower wins sales, torque wins races.

Sadly, people still( especially Honda fans, no offense guys :) ) brag about HP/litre. While it is impressive that Honda can get 237 HP out of a 2.2 liter N/A I4 in the S2000; we shouldn't decide if it is or isn't a good engine based on HP/Litre.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006

Russian owned. British built.

Until last week anyway. They have or are closing the Blackpool factory :eek: :(

To those talking about the BHP and torque etc I just look at the 0-60 :D

Its hard to find much info on the Typhon I mentioned and is still no info on TVRs website. But heres a quote from a website:

"Customers will instead have more luck ordering the supercharged £79,995 TVR Typhon range topper. This 500bhp monster features twin intercoolers and a power to weight ratio that matches the McLaren F1. Insiders predict a top speed of well over 200mph and a sprint to 60mph in 3.5 seconds."

BTW i didnt realise it was supercharged so my earlier post is a bit redundant now :D

Still want one though. Heres a pic of the 440BHP version:

TVR%20typhon2.jpg

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
...sad to hear about TVR (partially) leaving the UK - my father owned a Vixen, back before TVR made supercars.

It certainly will be a huge change for TVRski, but I'm not sure a change for the better.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
...sad to hear about TVR (partially) leaving the UK - my father owned a Vixen, back before TVR made supercars.

It certainly will be a huge change for TVRski, but I'm not sure a change for the better.

It'll be interesting to see if TVR come out with the boat and motorbike that was rumoured to be in developement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.