New Superdrive causes all hell

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bobindashadows, Dec 7, 2003.

1. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I've recently upgraded the drive in my quicksilver to a DVR-106, as the old one died.

However, now I get kernel panics. Every half an hour.

The worst part is that they are the old school white text on black background panics. And I don't know what the problem is.

The drive is great, i love it. I think its screwing things up though. I had previously wiped the drive not half an hour before, so I installed the drive and proceeded to build it up from 10.0.4 to 10.3.1.

At the bottom of the panic it says "waiting for remote debugger connection". I installed REALBasic 5.5a9, which apparently has a remote debugger in it. I don't know if that might be causing problems but I get panics even when I'm not using RB.

Any ideas? I'll post pictures of the panics later. Maybe.

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    did you have a cd in the drive when the panics happened?

3. bobindashadows thread starter macrumors 6502

it panics with or without a CD in the drive. Just got one interrupting a three hour irc download.... driving me insane.

4. cpjakes macrumors 6502

A couple of thoughts....

My first thought is why are you building up from 10.0.4 to 10.3.1? If you have an installer of Panther why not just start there? I believe you can install other apps (iDVD is my guess of what you're probably needing) from your install CDs separately.

Also, is the SuperDrive or the installation of REALBasic 5.5a9 the variable here? Have you installed it previously? If it seems to be crashing on the RB debugger, I would blame that. Even if you're not running the application, a lot of programs have background processes that are always "active" but not actually doing anything. If it is every 30 minutes, it seems that when the process is called it causes a kernel panic.

If your SuperDrive can burn discs successufully (within the half hour) I would put my money on REALBasic as the culprit.

Good luck!

cpjakes

Edited for clarification...

5. martinchaoss macrumors newbie

Hey, I have the same problem. I installed panther on my G3 and it crashes just as you are telling here. It's not REALBasic 5.5a9 because I haven't installed it. But I also do have the superdrive 106.

I didn't know till now that this can be the cause of the crashes.

The crashes are mostly when I activate a programm, want to open a file. So, it looks random, but something must be bugging the kernel.

M

6. bobindashadows thread starter macrumors 6502

That's exactly what happens to me. Whenever the open or save dialog box opens, it might panic and opening apps. It appears OS X has a remote debugger built in though.

The reason that I am building up from 10.0.4 is because I am using an upgrade CD of Panther, which upgrades from Jaguar.

Thanks! I'll talk to Apple about it.

7. martinchaoss macrumors newbie

Getting closer to the problem...It's a jumpersetting error. You have to change you jumpersettings to master and slave or best to cable select. This should work.

Martin

8. Mblazened macrumors regular

you might try:

turning off the "put my hard disk to sleep when possible" option in your energy saver preferences. The computer sees the DVR as a hard drive and tries to put it to sleep, which causes the kernel panic.