New Superdrive for iMac is for realz?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by encephalon, Aug 7, 2002.

1. encephalon macrumors member

Hello. 6 mo. reader, first time poster here.

I am planning on purchasing the 17in. iMac within the month and noticed something interesting on my saved order with the The Apple Store today (I haven't purchased yet, just the saved one). When trying to view my saved order it gave me the following error:

"Sorry, invalid order.",
    "Some of the items in your order are not available.", and
    "This order cannot be processed because the flagged items are no longer valid."

The only flagged item was the Superdrive in the 17in. iMac. I was curious, so I redid my "shopping cart" order. The only difference that I saw was the part number for the Superdrive changed from 065-3010 to 065-3768.

I'm not really sure what exactly this means, but I remembered the rumored Superdrive update a week or so ago and thought this could possibly be it. Anyway, just thought I would share.

Oh, I also have screenshots of this, if anyone wants me to post them.

2. dynamicd macrumors 6502

This is interesting....I ordered mine the day it came out and am curious as to whether or not the superdrive is updated.

Can you show the screenshots please?? :)

3. encephalon thread starter macrumors member

p?;C?ginally posted by dynamicd [/i]
    This is interesting....I ordered mine the day it came out and am curious as to whether or not the superdrive is updated.

Can you show the screenshots please?? :)
    [/QUOTE]

Sure, here ya go!

Here it is in 'croped' form..

The top half was my original saved order.
    The bottom is my new saved order.

Note the changed part number..

Attached Files:

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I was going to recommend the iMac from smalldog.com, but they are on back order.

Maybe Apple has the new iMacs on back order as well. They may be selling A LOT of them. :)

5. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Whoa! That's wierd! But interesting too...

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Something like this happened at Apple Australia a month or so back... it was simply a product changing ID because its price was changed. (Appel pro mouse $99 -> $129 Australian :()

7. encephalon thread starter macrumors member

Hmm.. Yes, good thought, but would Apple change the price on the Superdrive? :confused:
    I don't think you can buy the Superdrive from Apple, so I don't think there is even a price to change.

I'm just not sure if changing part numbers happens often (besides a price change or a new version of the part).

8. digitalrampage macrumors regular

Superdrive change

They are going from A03 to A04 drives (Pioneer)

The A04 is cheaper and also support DVD-RW

Cheers

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: Superdrive change

HALLO? Are you up to date with things? The flatpanel imac had a A04 from THE START. Yikes!

irmongoose

10. Bear macrumors G3

The original email for my 17" iMac listed part number 065-3010 for the SuperDrive. I just checked my order status online and the part number was changed to 065-3768.

The 15" iMacs had the 065-3010 shipped with them previously. I have no idea what is shipping with them now.

So, is the -3768 drive the faster drive that is rumoured to exist now?

11. encephalon thread starter macrumors member

Oh, good. I'm glad this is confirmed by someone else too..

Currently, the only reason that I can think of for the part number change is the result of a change in the piece of hardware itself. I assume this to mean it will now ship with the rumored faster drive. But this is all speculation of course.

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Why not call up the Apple Store and ask them? If anyone will be able to tell you exactly, they will...