new superdrive, now what kind of dvd's to get???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tonywalker23, Jul 8, 2005.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

i just got a superdrive and so far it can burn a cd in itunes when i installed it right out of the box. but i havent burned a dvd yet because i do not understand what kind to get. i wont be making movies, just data backups mostly.
    after i get my mac like i want it with all my apps and pics i would like to make a bootable dvd of my drive just in case my hd ever crashes. i know to use disk utility but can anyone give me advice on the particualr steps and things to be aware of?
    thanks
    tony walker
    www.preachertony.com

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

3. MacHarne macrumors 6502

If you check out the "Tech Specs" page on any of the hardware models' pages and look in the non-table portion at the bottom under "Storage" you will see a list of compatible media with the SuperDrive. From what I know of writeable media, it seems to support all types. But then again, I have only used DVD+R myself. I am no genius with the details.

Someone else want to cover the disk image idea? This is something I'd like to do as well.

4. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Oh the double post. Now, that was a nasty trick. And I went to the trouble of confirming that Tech Specs stuff.

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes yes, you were checking while I was typing ;)

6. MacHarne macrumors 6502

This is so traumatizing, I may never trust a preacher again...

:)

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I hear him I just can't understand him :p
    Anywho if you have anymore Q's just ask but keep it to one thread ;)

8. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

This board is very quick to jump all over somebody for posting something even remotely related to an older thread. It would be nice if the person pointing this out to the poster would find the answer in the thread they reference before chastising the poor double poster:) It's not necessarily the case here, but it happens all the time in here and I'm starting to feel sorry for them. It's also quite annoying to read some of the ways in which people tell the poster about other threads. Please keep in mind that writing can be kind of blunt and may offend people more often than intended. Some of the threads referenced are several pages long and contain a bunch of unrelated opinions. They are sometimes difficult to sort through and a new post can be warranted under certain circumstances (new information, opinions, etc.)

Again, not necessarily the case here, but it is more often the case than not. Just some thoughts.

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

ldburroughs
    Well this on my part was to be funny but :rolleyes: anyone needing any help is always welcome. I wasn't sure if checked his other thread or really knew how to.
    So with that said if the poster wants to look under my name for some info on past posts about this please feel free to since in the past I went (for my needs and wants) out of the way to find info to share about dvds/types and what not since it made my life easier and might help others.
    Sorry if my morning humor was mine but I do understand ;)

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

On Another Note

Make sure you test which dvds will work on your own player or the whole "+r/-r" won't make a difference. This happened to me when my girlfriend move in as she had a player that played +r and I had all -r dvds and had sold my PS2 so I went out and bought a new dvd player :) . Nice in the end but I wanted to spend the money else where (on my Mac of course).
    Try some sample packs from online vendors and again stay away from cheap media as it will (might work now) but later, 6-9 mths. it may not. Yes I learned that the hard way as in 75-100 bad dvds :eek: that was not fun and neither was the cost. Anyway enjoy your new burner.

11. MacHarne macrumors 6502

As with Artful Dodger, my "trauma" was just a telltale sign of a good Friday morning shot of humor. I apologize if it was actually taken as criticism.

But before you cry foul ldburroughs, scroll halfway down this article and check out one of the replies.

Beautiful Friday morning. What can I say?

12. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Greatness

Mac...Pure Greatness.

oh, and I like memorex DVD-R.

....and have jack johnson on my ipod....but you didn't ask about that.