New Switcher, Need Firewall Soon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DarkSonicYouth5, Mar 12, 2004.

1. DarkSonicYouth5 macrumors newbie

Greetings everybody,

Today I was the surprise recipient of a 1ghz eMac. I'm very happy and am proud to be a switcher. We have cable broadband at my house but it currently only installed on my Windows machine and it's going to stay that way until we get rid of our AOL service. My question is are there any good firewalls for the mac that aren't very expensive? I personally have no money and free is always preferable.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

There's a firewall built into the system. Go to System Preferences->Sharing->Firewall to configure it.

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

And unlike the firewall built into XP, it actually works. But that's more of it being the lack of work to do :D

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

you could also give brickhouse a shot. i think you can find it on versiontracker

6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Either use the built-in firewall, or put your system behind a router w/ hardware firewall.

Really... Mind elaborating on that a bit? 'Cause I use WinXP Pro's built-in firewall and have yet to have the pleasure of being hacked into. Are you even using WinXP, or are you just saying that 'cause you think it's something cool to say, being a Mac fanatic and all?

7. rollobancher macrumors member

It does not work !!!

"
    ""

" NO It really does not work !!!" I have used XP Pro for 3 Years and I hate it. The firewall does not work worth Sh*t, LOL. I once used the firewall after a reformat, and had to reformat again after 10 min because i got a virus . "

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

because when you reinstalled the firewall isn't enabled by default. so it was your fault. you were suppose to unplug your network cable before you reinstalled the next service pack will fix this problem by enabling the firewall by default.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

He said he used the firewall after the first reformat, so I think that means it was on.

10. rollobancher macrumors member

Itg was ON

Yea I had the network cable unpluged then I put the firewall on and then Pluged in the network cable ,, still got a virus after 10 min.

11. rollobancher macrumors member

It was ON !

Yea I had the network cable unpluged then I put the firewall on and then Pluged in the network cable ,, still got a virus after 10 min.

"""" Sorry guys Double Post """"""

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I love my Powerbook - but I must say that XP's firewall works just fine. I've used it on our XP box at home, as well as a spare XP box I've got around work for testing stuff (and unlike my home box it's not behind any sort of NAT or firewall appliance) and haven't had a problem. The only way you could've "caught a virus" (which actually has to have been a worm - if you caught a virus it was likely via e-mail) is if you left ports 137/139/445 open for some reason. Even if you do leave them open, you can just disable DCOM and you should be okay.

You do, however, have to enable XP's firewall for every network port you've got. So if you're on a wireless network and have it turned on, that doesn't mean it's on once you plug into a wired network later. This is a rather silly way to do it, IMO, because it's likely not what people think is happening.