New switcher w/ emac RAM questions!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vga4life, Jun 16, 2004.

1. vga4life macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    OK, maybe I'm not a real switcher - I've been using Macs since the Plus (and Apple ]['s before that), but the last Mac I owned was an SE/30 (not counting my beloved NeXTstation TurboColor, which I might finally sell.) I couldn't resist the $849 refurb deal from on a 1.25 GHz emac w/ superdrive. ($1007 after tax, tilt+swivel stand, and vga adapter - monitor spanning hack, here I come! My name is vga4life, after all.)

Anyhow, my new baby is in transit and due sometime next week. I know as well as anyone that the base 256 megs of RAM is inadequate, and I'd really like to pump the box up to 2 GB for my photoshop-using honey. I saw that has 1GB modules known to work in the emac for $199.

Now, I'm a professional UNIX sysadmin, and I know the importance of buying good RAM. I'm also on a budget, however, and nothing makes my cheap-gland flare up like a 100% markup - generic 1GB PC2700 DIMMs normally go for around $100. So, fair macrumors community, I humbly ask your assistance - can anyone tell me what kind of 1GB PC2700 DIMM will work in my emac?

I've read that not all 1GB dimms will work, but I'm sure transintl's not getting these DIMMs custom made. Someone out there must know exactly what type of 1GB PC2700 DIMM will work. I'd really like to be able to hit 2GB for $200-300 rather than $400+.

2. LANcaster macrumors newbie

May 1, 2004
  3. vga4life thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    See, now the problem with that Crucial link is that the largest DIMM they market for the emac is 512M (no bargain itself at $92).

I'm more interested in 1GB DIMMs, since the emac only has 2 slots.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    I second the Crucial recommendation. $100 for a RAM chip will be a great deal, until you get crazy lockups all the time. I wouldn't trust aynone but Crucial for memory... It's worth it! You could get a 512 and have 768mb... that is more than plenty of RAM. My wife has a 1GHz powerbook with 512mb, and it runs great.
    Quality over Quantity!

Lee Tom
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I had good luck with the other big seller of RAM for the Mac, Other World Computing. Though they don't offer the 1gb for the Emac. That should say something when two of the most respected sources for Mac RAM don't currently have an offering for the eMac above 512K.
  6. Miner Willy macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2004
    Bradford, UK
    2gig of ram

You should be able to put 2gb of Ram in an eMac

check out the thread