New Team member...quick questions...

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by sjjordan, Feb 24, 2004.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Well, I just discovered folding@home and it's awesome! I joined the macrumors team today with my G4 powerbook and hopefully I can help out!

A few questions though...

1. What's a WU?

2. Has anyone had any problems with folding ruining their computer? Being a true mac lover, I cherish my baby!

3. As most macrumors guys love macs...why doesn't everyone just join the apple Inc. team? We could probably easily be #1 and let everyone know that macs are serious crunching machines!

Oh, one other thing...under preferences, what does the polygon/atom function do?

thanks!

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

1) Its a Work Unit, these are the things that your computer crunches after receiving the data from standford.
    2) No problems have been linked to folding.
    Though I must say in some machines people have complained that it makes their fans turn on more often.
    3) If Apple Computer really wanted to be in folding, they would be a top #20 team. But apple isn't.

We have tried for a united 'Mac Team' or 'Macintosh Alliance' but other boards seem not to want it (MacAddict was quite resistant)

We MacRumors are #19 and are very serious about folding, we are projected to break into the top 15! We are serious about this.

The Graphical client is just something to look at...

The atoms/polygons to very little... though the more polygons and the more atoms show up -- the more processor is wasted.

The moving of the image uses a slight portion of your CPU. If you don't need the pretty pictures just use alpha trace.

Thanks for your support and welcome to the team!

--MrMacMan

3. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks MrMacMan!

I'm really excited about this...

I've passed it on to a few friends. I'll get as many as I can to join the macrumors team. Top 15 would be awesome!

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Welcome to the MacRumors Folding team. I am also very excited about my contribution. I enjoy it even more because I'm in the medical profession.

I hope that you will be able to get your friends involved. The more the merrier.

MrMacman is the greatest, if you ever need assistance.

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Excellent.

MacRumors thanks you and your friend for the support!
    :D

wdlove -- Thanks, but really I was just around to answer the questions you had.

sjjordan -- Feel free to post and questions you have about folding up, we will get back to you in a timely fashion.

6. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm also in the Medical profession...at least I will be in a few years. I'm in a MD/PhD program and loving it. I have a nice powermac in my sights that sits all day besides the occasional acrylamide gel snapshot. I plan to add it to our list.