New Theme

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by StarbucksSam, Apr 28, 2005.

1. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I have been watching and participating in MacRumors for a long time. In my time here, I have not seen the vBulletin theme change ONCE... and I was wondering if that was like... ever going to happen. I mean, this is like the OS X MacRumors theme, right... can't we make it close to what it is today as things have changed a lot...?

I'm not volunteering to do this, because I know this is a HUGE undertaking, but I know there are a lot of other dedicated and capable members of the site who are probably more than willing to chip in some time.

Would the administration be up for this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm pretty happy with how it is at the moment. I can't remember where exactly, but I was looking through another Apple forum site (only for a little while, I promise, don't hurt me) which had the brushed metal look and it was really hard to use after a while. Especially when using a brushed-metal browser like Safari.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

used to have some themes, they were sorta crappy and underkept to be honest. I much prefer the increased time lately on content (thanks arn!) over customization, I thinkthe forums work well and I know since 2002 they went under a MAJOR upgrade which brough a drastic style change so maybe your eyes are that good.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'm happy with the overall design. I would like improved icons and buttons, but haven't had the time to pursue it.

arn

5. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

After reading what everybody said and thinking about it more carefully - this theme... well.. it makes MacRumors feel like a place I know. I'm used to it and a theme change might make things seem foreign. This is a very clean and welcoming theme without being to bright or dark - you're all right - we should keep it.

6. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

The only thing now is the "server too busy" error that seems to be popping up more and more. I think the theme is very usable and not tiresome on the eyes.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yeah, I know. I hate sites that seem to change all the time. MR has been a great home, and the changes haven't been too hard to get used to.

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

working on it! :)

arn

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I love the macrumors theme. Just plain and easy to read. Some other forums have colors and other things that are hard on the eyes after a while.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What make it for me is the New Posts button -- quick and easy to keep up to date across all fora. Some BB systems make you look in every single forum, wotta pain.

Please keep the look, I'm used to it and it works better than any other forum for me. Don't wanna have to learn it over again.

If you really want something to work on, the problem with it throwing up raw code instead of posts in Firefox would be a good thing to get to the bottom of. I'd rather not use IE.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

button? its a bookmark for me in my bookmarks bar nonetheless! haha

i love these forums and i think the look/color is just fine imo

12. thomasp macrumors 6502a

One thing I miss in this vB forum (that many other, much bigger forums have) is a menu at the bottom of each thread and forum page that allows you to jump to another subforum. arn: If you don't know what I mean, PM me for a link to another forum that uses this

I know I may still be a "Macrumors Newbie", but I read a lot more threads here than I post, and it would be quite nice to quickly jump to another forum without having to go back to the forum's homepage :)

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You either haven't actually been here very long, or haven't been paying attention :rolleyes:

When the forums were upgraded to vB3 from vB2 there was a huge overhaul. Pre-vB3 the forums were a separate entity from the from the front page etc (in terms of style). They ran a default generic vB theme (purple :eek:!), and generally nothing fitted together. With vB3 Arn did a fantastic job of bringing all parts of MacRumors in to line. The forums now tie in with the site perfectly. Other than maybe a few small graphic changes that have already been mentioned (buttons and stuff), I can't see any reason why the current over all look should, or needs to be changed.

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Yes the icons are the stock VB3 icons.

And any particular reason why you haven't upgraded to 3.0.7?

Is it because of custom hacks? Or just no time?

15. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

no particular reason. I patched it so it's secure, but never got around to updating. perhaps I will. :)

arn