new ti not helping my health

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chibianh, May 12, 2002.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I received my brand new ti on friday in standard 800mhz config.. and i have had a total of 4 hours of sleep since!! aaahh! I can't help it, the thing is on the desk which is right next to my bed! It calls to me everytime i lay down.. This CAN'T be good..

btw, i have a problem with Snak. I'm using it on my ti wirelessly via a linksys ap. It doesn't connect to any servers all the way. It always stops after it finds my hostname. Did i configure something wrong?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: new ti not helping my health

Congrats on the new TiPB, I know exactly how you feel.

What is snak?

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hehehehehe :D
    Also congrats on the new PB, enjoy it!

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: new ti not helping my health

There's a preference in Snak if you are using a Router/Airport etc... click on that first... though it shouldn't affect you connecting.

Many IRC servers require you to run identd on your machine.

1) Instructions come with snak...

2) you need to open your router and point the identd port (113, I believe) to your mac

arn

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Man I wish I had one of those. I would lose so much sleep!

6. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

How many days did you have to wait until you received it? (From point of order to point of arrival)

I'm waiting for mine to arrive :D

7. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Hey arn, thanks for the info.. it works now. You are THE man!

sphereboy,

It was 9 days. I ordered it May 1st and received it the 10th from ClubMac. The thing is, when i put in the order for it, they said it was gonna be at least a 2 week wait. I was surprised to see it ship early. Most of the online retailers have it in stock and will ship out the same day, I think.

I'm in love with this machine. I gotta be at work at 7 tomorrow morning and I will HAVE to go to sleep soon.. it's 10pm right now. Hopefully, I'll be in bed by 3 or so.. heh.

8. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

it's that good ey? :cool: damn. i can't wait to get mine :D

tell us more.. . how's that screen? is it sharp?

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The new TiBook is rather addictive... the screen is very sharp (more so then the rev. a that I had before) and much brighter too. Wait until you start to play some games on it, then you will get even less sleep.

I am going to see about setting up a UT session between my game peecee and my TiBook this week. If it goes well, I can use the peecee as the host/server and have other people over with TiBooks (or even iBooks if they don't mind getting blow into gibs :D ). If they have the airport cards as well, then we could even play from different parts of my apartment.

As for a waiting period on mine... I called up one day, and the store had it the following one. I had them set it aside, and I picked it up the day after that. Gotta love buying from local vendors, especially when you get a good price (about $200 under what Apple is selling it for).

10. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

use BitchX instead of Snak...I've never had a problem with it..and it runs in the terminal so u can have transparent IRC's...of course thats hardly important but it looks good so yeah...maybe u should give it a go..

11. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Ugh... I don't get enough sleep as is. I'd hate to think how little I'd get if I had one of those little babies!

I really would love a new Ti, bit out of my reach (price wise) though. I guess I'll just keep lugging around my 3400c. :(

12. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

congrats on the new Tib.
    I Envy all you PB owners, I widh I had one myself.

13. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Like Alphatech said, the screens are amazing! Gaming on it is great. There is a noticeable performance difference between my brother's 550 and mine, especially with the games.

On the subject of games, I'm having trouble getting starcraft to work. I went into classic mode to install it on the OS9 drive. Then I downloaded the OSX patch and installed that, then moved the Starcraft folder from the OS9 drive to the OSX drive. I got onto battle.net and there was a patch to download. It downloaded fine but when it went to restart the application, it freezes and i just get a black screen. opt-cmd-esc got me out of that. The same thing happens again when I try to get onto battle.net. Anyone got any clues about this?

Also, I got some pictures of my tibook. There's only two and I took the pictures and posted them in about a minute. They're only there because one of my friends wanted to see what it looked like. I'll post more later if anyone is interested.

http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh

14. phantommaul macrumors member

envy all who has 800 Ti

i envy all u guys who has a 677 or especially 800 TiBook boy i want one of these so bad :( please god send me 3200$ to buy a TiBook i am sick of working on my 450Mhz P3 (yep a PC user here) it is slowww and crushes all theee time -hear me bill fans i hate micro*oft

i know the future is in the hands of macs
    p.s: please god send me a TiBook and take my girlfriend instead :)

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Ti

You gotta love the Ti. I think that the Apple portables really excell in comparison to the PC Laptop market, and even compete against their own desktops(G4's).

I have the 550 model, and even though the new 800's are out, I love mine. Of course, if you wanted to keep up, you'd have to but a new one every 6 months or so.

My advice? Buy a new one (if you can afford it) every third (or fourth) cycle. (every 1-1.5 years) However, I know many of you enthusiasts buy one every cycle. Of course, thats a good way to go broke. DDR for the Ti will be out probably March-April of '03, and rev.2 will be out in October-November, so December will probably be when I buy again. (I got this one last Thanksgiving) So, I will be hitting about the 1.2 year mark.

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yyyiiiipppiiee! i'm getting a TiBook today, lots of waking hours for me.:D

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

you have what i consider the ultimate computer and the ultimate motorcycle

which do you spend more time with?

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

At night, the TiBook, during nice days, the motorcycle... it all depends on the weather. Days where it rains are the worst, since I can't ride the Harley.

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i tell you the truth, if i had a harley or rocket bike or dirtbike, i would be more enamored with it...but i have been a self employed techie for 3 years and i am burnt out on computers sometimes

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

you know what, any motorcycle would make me swoon more than a computer

i have never owned a motorcycle of any kind...the harley is the prettiest hands down but the rocket bike seems so sexy like an f/a-18 fighter jet with all those g's it can pull

and the dirt bike is evil knievel reborn:D

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

In the past 6 weeks that I have had the new Harley, I have managed to put 710 miles on it. I put at least 100 miles on it a week, either during the week, or over the weekend.

I just checked the weather channel online, and it looks like the rain will clear out tomorrow, and be nice until Saturday. I will be riding to work, and probably some after work as well and then as long as I can on Sunday. I want to have 1000 miles on it by Memorial day (or reach that goal on Memorial day). I am scheduling to have my first service (at 1000 miles) the Tuesday after Memorial day. It just so happens that the HOG meeting is that evening as well, at the dealership. Next week looks good so far, which I fully intend to use for riding. :D

Get on your bike and RIDE!!

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The rocket bikes whine too much for my liking, and they look so damned uncomfortable. You know that you can go for a long ride on a Harley (all day long) without messing up your back. Besides, I look much better on a Harley then I ever could on one of those crotch rockets. As Harley's are often called... a Milwaukee vibrator. :D Love to feel the power between my legs. :D

As the better weather arrives, I will be riding as much as possible. As for swooning over the Harley, well, I was wanting to get it much more then the new TiBook. I was counting down the days until it arrived at the dealership, and then to when I could pick it up. I rushed over to the dealership to sign the papers I needed to so that I could pick it up on the Saturday before Easter. I still get excited when I sit on it and start it up in the morning. :D

Until you actually own, and ride a Harley, you really don't know why people only want them. Now that I have one, I will never ride anything else (except for other Harley's). Besides, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting after market parts for Harley's. I think they even have more out there then there are after market parts, or upgrades for peecee's.

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

predictably, being overweight and not exactly young, the harley would suit my body type more

those rocket bikers are sure young looking and they don't have a bad back like me

24. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

AlphaTech

Talk about a well-rounded person! I just find it amazing that an owner of a "foo-foo" computer rides a big bad Harley. I always suspected that most Ti owners were geeks or artsy types, but I guess thats a misnomer. It just still strikes me as funny to see a guy getting off of a Harley with his cut-off sleeve denim shirt and "ride till you die" tattoo and black leather riding boots, and whip out the 'ol Titanium to get some work done. Of course, Im just making assumptions and having some fun with the thought.

Personally, Im an artsy type (3D animation), but I work out at Golds Gym and drive a Camaro. (like a mucle-head, much like all of the crotch-rocket people) And, of course, I also have a Titanium 550.

I guess my point is, so much for stereotypes!

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

agreenster, what are you calling a 'foo-foo' computer??? Them there are fighting words... muahahahahahahahaaa... You forgot one minor fact, I can also pack heat. :D

As for me on the Harley... I switch between using the windshield and not, 3/4 and 1/2 helmets and bringing my TiBook with me or not. I have a Brenthaven backpack to carry it with, which is better then some of the bags out there, since it is black (blends in with my HD biker jacket).

Remember one thing... geeks are the ones with the cool toys, but can still speak techno fluently. Nerds on the other hand, talk about programming languages and get a hard on (or female version) when thinking about doing inane things in different programming languages. I was installing memory in a tray-load iMac last week, and there was a pair of math department people talking about programming the same thing in three different languages. All I could think was, 'damn, these people are nerds'.