new ti667?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by saabmp3, Aug 1, 2002.

1. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Ok, well in about 3-5 hours I'm going to be purschasing my new laptop for college (note this part). Right now I have a choice between two different models. I can either get the iBook 12inch 700 with 640 mb's of ram and the 40GB drive (with airport) or a TI 667 with 256 mb's of RAM, a 40 GB drive (I have to pay 100 bucks extra for the 40, the "gift" from my parents wouldn't cover that part) and no airport card. Which one should I do? This comptuer is going to be used in a college classroom and dorm area. I know the TI is fragile, but is it worth it to get it over the iBook? The screen size of the 12inch iBook is fine, but I would rather the 15.2 of the TI.

Right now I'm leaning towards the TI, but just curious about what others of you have to input towards this (maybe thing's I'm not thinkgin about in my hastyness).

BEN

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

get the powerbook...you'll be a lot more happy having a G4

3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

PowerBook

Dont worry about not having airport or extra ram. you can upgrade that later. And it is alot better for gaming :)

4. sageenos macrumors member

I have the same dilemma myself...sadly it more or less comes down to cash constraints...I've been wanting a Ti every since they were unveiled. Maybe I can sell a kidney or something...I can survive on one right?

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

>Maybe I can sell a kidney or something...I can survive on one right?

Yeah, sure, to about 45. Make sure you benefit your senior elderly in your home area. :p

I think it depends on what you will need a portable computer for. If it's just for taking notes, go with the iBook.

What do you plan to major/minor in? If your profession/desire would be to do some video/audio work then you most likely will NEED a G4. If you are just looking to write a few reports and such and you are not in much of a need of video editing or such, the G3 is your best bet.

6. zaphoyd macrumors regular

I got the powerbook and I love it! I just got to play with a friends 700 iBook, its smaller and amazingly fast, but The powerbooks screen is just amazing, that alone is worth the cost, plus everything is built in no special adaptors to buy if you want to connect to a tv or anything. The 667 one is an awesome deal, go for it!

7. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I pondered the same question last year...I got the iBook but now I would rather have the Ti.....

8. saabmp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm going to be going into computer engeneering at first with a possible move to electrical engeneering. Movie editing doesn't matter too much for my degree, but I do tons of random computer projects, and it might come into play somewhere down the line there.

BEN

9. djniche macrumors regular

I had bought a 600 ibook combo drive with the 12 inch screen. It was to small for me but as far as power seem to be pretty fast. I returned it mostly because of the screen. Now, I have my eye on a 667 ti book. first you would be getting a G4 chip and also that screen is just amazing. Make sure you get the new DVI version that has higher resolution and better video chip inside.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, hopefully you can see this before you go. The iBook is an amazing little machine. I loved every one that I have ever owned. At geekfest Eye brought over his rev a Ti and I nearly died. It is amazing. Fast, and beautiful. That is a rev a. Get the Ti, no if's and's or but's about it.

Run for it now, don't walk, run!

11. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Check it out.... I bought the ti667 at an apple store. I work fulltime as an engineer and I am writing my masters thesis at the same time (mechanical engineering). i really did not like the tibook for me. It is an awesome machine, but way too powerful for what i needed. I had it for 8 days and I did regret buying it. I thought to myself, the only reason i bought this is because I wanted to have the best. i did not come close to tapping the power of the tibook. I returned the machine to apple (it cost me 10%) and I bought the ibook 600 cd only model. I took the money i saved and bought 512 ram, an airport card, and another airport card for my tower so i now have wireless networking.

All i can say is that for me, I made the right choice. I had the money for the ti and decided i would rather have the ibook. People at work (pc clones) mock me and ask where my big screen went, but I am happy with my comp. It is way more portable (huge asset for me). And I love not worrying about scratches and just enjoying the comp.

I dont know what is right for you, but I thought you might be interested in another opinion then someone saying "Buy the more expensive one, it is better"

And remember, the part of your computing experience that needs upgrading is the part between the keyboard and the office chair.

12. bachnut macrumors newbie

PB vs. iBook

Buy the Titanium. I am a graphics professional and use an 12" 600MHz iBook running OS X everyday in my work. I bought it for its durability and compactness for travel on public transportation and to download my digital photos when in the field. It's quite adequate for Photoshop, etc. However, it boots slow, so I mostly put it to sleep and carry it around in my bag. I do love it... BUT I have other computers that I use at home when I need processing speed for my work. The compelling reason to buy the tiG4 is OS X. The tiG4 667 has everything you need to take advantage of the speed improvements in the next OS rev.10.2. It has 32MB of video memory which will absorb the video processing hit formerly done by the main processor. It also has the DVI video out which will allow you to attach a flat panel monitor directly without an analog conversion from VGA. Lastly it has the 133Mhz motherboard (iBook = 100MHz). It's fast. Buy it! But buy a good bag with padded liner to protect it.

13. saabmp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, well around 11:30 last night I was just about to put my credit card number in for the iBook and made a last minute decision. I went for the TI. I decided that I would rather have a little un touched processor power most of the time than be wanting more power all of the time. The 667 wasn't actually that bad of a deal when it all came down to the final price (about 2400) and it should be here in 9-12 days. I can't wait.

BEN

14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

good for you, i hope you are as happy with it as i am with my notebook. (iBook600) I was going to suggest the Powerbook as well, as i really see the g3 as we know it being phased out within a year and a half. If you look at the specs of Jaguar, pretty much everything is being geared towards a g4. not to say im not happy with my g3, but if i was in the market today and not 8 months ago, id go for the powerbook.

15. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

I understand exactly how you feel, I bought the ti for the same reasons you did. And, I returned that ti 8 days later and I have never looked back. It is a hard decision. What's funny is that some guy like you will post in a year and say, do you think i should get the ti667 or the <insert newer computer here>, and people will come and post the same posts they did here this week, citing speed and longevity as the reasons for an upgrade. And yet, ask yourself, have YOUR needs changed? Sure, apple will have released some new belll or whistle, that will create a need for an upgrade, but, unless your needs have changed, what's the point? Having said that, I understand if a computer is your way of life, or you are rich, i would upgrade every year.

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've got a TiBook 667. the thought of a iBook never even entered my mind, then again i am doing graphics and 3D stuff. i love the screen, i will never go back to a normal ratio screen now. i am permanently hooked on widescreen.:D

if you get the TiBook you will be glad you got it, just for the screen alone.

17. saabmp3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I think I'm goin gcrazy now. My desktop comptuer for school (a homebuilt AMD with 2k unit, needed for school requirements) had a semi-nice 17 inch screen with it. The other day a family member needed a new monitor, so I gladly gave mine as an excuse to get some money for a new 19 inch flat CRT. Now I think I'm going to use a monitor switch box and connect the 19 incher to my powerbook so I can use the dual display right away. This is going to be great. Are there any other necesseties that I might need to get for this sucker?

BEN

PS, Right after I bought it, I went to www.tombihn.com and got the laptop insert for my bag to fit the powerbook so it's always protected.

18. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Get the TiBook... you only live once!!!

Or better yet, go to ebay and get the 800 Tibook for the same price as the 667;)
    Or cop (get) the 667, Airport card, more ram, and some other ****, for the same price as Apple's website.