New TiBook update next week as well?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by uae, Aug 8, 2002.

1. uae macrumors member

Anyone think there will be a new TiBook update next week (or whenever it is) with the new PowerMacs?

I would love an 80gig internal.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Probably not. I think the spotlight is going to be on the PowerMac. Plus, I think it's too soon for a Powerbook update.

Even if there was one, I think the biggest drive you could get was the 60GB, unless someone has made a cheap 80GB version.

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

next year we'll definitely see the TiBook get updated...first they gotta get the PowerMacs going...they are still seriously lagging behind the competition...

can't have the portables moving up while the desktops are sitting... ;)

4. vixapphire macrumors 6502

TiBooks Just Discounted At Apple Store

I was just at the new apple store at the grove in LA last night (nice stairway, btw), and noticed that Apple has just reduced by about $300 the prices of all of the TiBooks. This doesn't appear to be a "buy a display" tie-in or anything like that; if it's anything like their other price reductions, looks like they may be trying to clear their pipeline of these machines in anticipation of a speed bump to 1 (or even 1.2) GHz. Let's hope so!

I would not be surprised if, when (if) apple comes out with 1.2 GHz PowerMacs with all the new mobo's, etc., they update the powerbook to the same highspeed CPU - although they'll probably not update the bus speed until at least the next revision. Just a guess, though...

5. elensil macrumors regular

TiBook is in danger. They are seriously lagging behind. A friend of mine bought an 800mhz one on eBay and now considers trading it for a new Toshiba. He seems to be convinced by numbers more then by pretty OS. And unfortunately all we can say is " Thats his loss." Somehow he doesn't think so.

6. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: TiBooks Just Discounted At Apple Store

I just checked the apple online store and apple's online education store, and there were :( no change in price.

However, if this is happening in apple stores and compusas across the country, then this is a good sign for an update in the next two months...

...the speeds the pb will increase to all depends on the high-end powermac released this month...it'll prob be a step slower than it, but not much more than 1 GHz.

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

It is his loss. Apple isn't going to shock anybody with huge speed gains every 2-3 months, they seem content to update every 6-8 months with gradual speed increases. We just have to live with that fact. Besides, the new rev of the pb is just over 3 months old, so if they update this month i'll be happily surprised.

That said, I hope apple increases the speed to 1.4-1.6 GHz on pb. Thats just not realistic, even 1.2 GHz isn't realistic.

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

your friend is an idiot.

the 800MHz G4 with 1MB DDR Cache and at least 512MB RAM is just plain plenty for anyone. Whoever trades him for it will be taking advantage of a sucker.

9. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

the 800MHz G4 with 1MB DDR Cache and at least 512MB RAM is just plain plenty for anyone. Whoever trades him for it will be taking advantage of a sucker. [/B][/QUOTE]

1MB DDR? You should go back and check your numbers before you post incorrect information:p

I would love to see a TiBook speed bump, perhaps maching the Powermacs!!;)

10. djkut macrumors member

$100 Promotional Savings???

Does this happen to anyone else when you go into the Apple Store for education?

Go to Powerbooks, click on the order button for any of the 3 powerbook options and there will be a promotional savings of $100 dollars on the 667mHz and even more on the other options.

Don't know if this means anything, but for anyone looking to buy a PowerBook an educational price plus $100+ off is a pretty good deal.

11. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Yep.. that's right 1MB DDR L3 CACHE...

Anyway, I was playing warcraft 3 with two of my friends today and I was surprised some of the maps loaded quite a bit faster on my tibook 800 than on their computers. Why was I surprised? They were both using peecee boxes with amd athlon xps with pretty decent video cards. Now, I don't know which ahtlons they had and I don't really care, but I can shove it in their face that my powerbook.. with ONLY 800mhz can load maps faster than theirs... hehe

btw, how long have your friend had his ti800? personally, I would not trade this baby in for anything.. except maybe a new powermac when it comes out.

12. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

it won't be updated yet I think...probably before MWSF..possibly just after...

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Re: $100 Promotional Savings???

YEAH!!! No details on how long it'll last...better not be just today.
    This is good...i also got an e-mail saying that i'll get a free auto-air power adaptor if i buy a pb this month...I could potentially save over 200 bucks if I buy a pb this month!!!:D

Wow, the shipping date is longer than it was last week...last week it was 2-3 days, today its 7-10 days.

If these are signs that the pb will be updated...i just might wait a month :eek: ;) :D

14. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Ahh. I checked the regular apple store, and there is NO promotional savings, so this seems exclusive for the education store. Maybe this is for the back to school season, nothing to do with clearing inventory. :eek: That sucks :(

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I got this from a reliable source (one that has never let me down yet)... Don't expect any PowerBook updates until MWSF (or Tokyo). While Apple MIGHT release some kind of update between now and then, don't hold your breath for it.

16. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Sigh. If you're really sure, I guess I should take advantage of the savings now. I really hope I would get a pb that actually crossed that GHz mark, and had DDR, but I really don't think I can wait until MWSF. By then, they might even get the superdrive small enough to fit, or they might even mess with the form factor! I WANT BY POWERBOOK NOW!

*pouts*