New TiBooks and New Video

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mcrain, Apr 24, 2002.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Spring TiBook Gains New Video
    Wed, 24 Apr 2002, 01:24
    Mace Windu

http://www.powerpage.org/ had the following story:

According to a source Apple will include an updated video subsystem in the new 667 and 800 MHz TiBooks due 30 April.

Out is the current anemic 16 MB ATI Mobility RADEON graphics accelerator. In is a new video chipset that will include a DVI output. The addition of the DVI out will finally allow you to connect the new PowerBook to Apple's ADC flat panel displays - with the use of a product like Dr. Bott's US$150 DVIator. (The DVIator combines a DVI video, USB and external power to drive Apple's ADC 15", 17" and 22" flat panel displays.)

Although the manufacturer of the new video chipset is still unknown, it would be great to see Apple again jump to the fore by choosing either the NVIDIA GeForce4 Go Series, or ATI's Mobility Fire GL 7800 - a 64 MB, 128-bit DDR memory processor with a 270MHz clock speed and 32-bit color resolution.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: New TiBooks and New Video

Damn, this is a nice upgrade, I had originally wanted to hook up an Apple Cinema display to my TiPB but didn't because of all the hassle and extra $150 cost of the DVIator. And with the better video card, I wonder if the LCD resolution of the TiPB itself won't be greater?:D

If this happens, Jobs will be showing it everyone at the WWDC keynote. It just doesn't seem smart to release it early, especially something this good.

3. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

4. iGav macrumors G3

I have to admit, my 8Mb of Rage mobility is alittle... errr. little.....

64Mb would do nicely thanks...... :D

I'm still not buying though until they add this faster bus, supa duper RAM and chrome finish...... that I and many others here would dig!!!

Apple have in my eyes have 10 months (Feb 03) to release a WKD Powerbook with all these features...... as Feb 03 is when I'm going new mac shopping!!:p

5. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I noticed that the video out is DVI. Is that the powered output that you have to have for ADC, or is it an unpowered out that requires an additional power supply? If it is the powered out, there would have to be 4+ batteries or some sort of limitation to prevent it from sending a signal to the monitor unless the powerbook was plugged in.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My guess, based solely on speculation, is that it would only work when the TiPB is plugged in itself, otherwise if its not, its considered 'mobile'. Otherwise the battery is going to impload on the power draw if you had a 23" monitor:D

They should have come up with an elegant solution to the problem, we'll just have to wait and see what it is.

7. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who reads this stuff?!?! :confused:

The addition of the DVI out will finally allow you to connect the new PowerBook to Apple's ADC flat panel displays - with the use of a product like Dr. Bott's US$150 DVIator.
    (The DVIator combines a DVI video, USB and external power to drive Apple's ADC 15", 17" and 22" flat panel displays.)

Reworded for those who skip words etc...

The new powerbooks will have DVI video output.
    DVIator is used to connect non-adc devices to adc displays.
    DVIator requires DVI from the computer.
    DVI video output on the new powerbook will allow users to BUY and USE the DVIator.

In short this story is telling us: New Powerbooks = DVI (not adc)

Dave

8. tacojohn macrumors member

well- having DVI out would be a great solution for hooking up an ADC display. You would be forced to use the DVIator (which allows you to plug in the displays power). And its only $150 if you want to use an apple monitor now not $300 like it was before. But this does cause a problem- what are you going to be about the VGA projectors that most colleges and other areas use? I know you could use the s-video out, but its not as high quality....

9. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

ADC out <-- UNLIKELY! Probably the Powerbook's adaptor doesn't provide a high enough current to power both the Powerbook and something as hefty as a 23" HD display.. hence it will be DVI.

I have seen DVI to VGA converters as well for those wondering. Check with Dr. Bott, they likely have one. If not there's a good company up by Bill called Redmonds Cable which can build just about any kind of converter you need. VGA-> SVHS, DVI->VGA.. whatever you need. I have been very happy with their custom converters (and cheaper than Dr. Bott)

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

personally...I could care less about the DVI stuff...

if I could sell my 500 TiBook now and get enough for it where I wouldn't come out of pocket a whole lot....I'm thinking I'd grab one of these new ones in a sec...

that is...of course....if it is true....hence the "rumor" factor there...

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

16MB on a Radeon is NOT anemic, 8MB on a Rage chipset is (rev A TiBooks and earlier). Yes, it is less then you see in desktops (well.. duhhhh), but it is still a modern chipset and enough for most portable uses. Granted, I wouldn't mind seeing either 32MB, 64MB or a whopping 128MB for a video card inside the TiBook (who offers the 128MB video in a laptop???).

This is 110% rumor, with not much to back it up. Complete speculation, which means that either Apple will use a newer video chip, with more memory, or it won't.

As for people drooling over the DVI connection... big whoop. You can attach a ADC display to your TiBook now (and any with a VGA connection) by getting the correct adapters. I actually have (in my hand) a VGA to DVI adapter (VGA on computer to a DVI monitor). With that, and the DVIator, you can connect ANY computer to an Apple LCD (with ADC).

When the new PowerBooks come out, depending on what other features they have, I will be looking to get one. I have had my current one for about 1-1/2 years (it will be that come July), and am about ready to get a new one. Then again, I might just go and get a new tower, and not replace the laptop.

12. StuPid QPid macrumors member

Screen Resolution?

Does this mean that the new revision of the TiBook may have a higher resolution screen? I hope so, although the recent rumors don't seem to mention anything about a new screen.

13. lordsinforge macrumors member

Yeah, you CAN, but seeing how the GPU already converts from Digital to analog and then you are going back from analog to Digiatal you are loosing info in that prosses. Someone here tried it and the resolution on text resembles that of a mid range lcd, i.e it is slightly blurry on the edges.

So yes you can do it, but it will cost you a lot and the quality won't be that which you would get from a dv card.

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you call under $36 for the VGA/DVI adapter a lot, I would hate to be you. That is actually higher then I have seen it elsewhere, besides the fact that they sometimes ship the adapters with monitors. http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=105343

I would only use LCD screens at their native resolution, since ANYTHING else has the potential of being degraded. Saying that, yes, I do have my 17.4" LCD set to 1280x1024 and it is super clean. Anything lower, and it just doesn't look as nice. That has nothing to do with adapters, but the monitor signal.

15. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I would love to see ADC powerbooks but I doubt we will (to much of a power drain)

Looking at how the internals of the PB is made there is space for a portable version of the GeForce 2 (Mobility)

A really good graphics processor in the PB will be very useful for serious gamers, but heck, what do I know, I love 2D games with 256 colours!

Ensign

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The innards of the PowerBook G4 are rather tightly packed (as are some of the people that use them, I am sure :D ). IF Apple does put the DVI port onto the PowerBook G4 (not saying they will, or should), then they should also include the VGA port on it. Every laptop in MA, at the company I work for, that is connected to an external monitor is using the VGA port. We are not going to replace all of those external monitors with new ones (that are DVI) or get hundreds of the DVI/VGA connectors. Especially in an era where companies are doing everything they can to trim wasted spending.

I would rather see Apple use a better video chip (Radeon 7500/7800 with either 32MB or 64MB) then change it's connection type. Also, I am rooting for a speed bump to get the PowerBooks closer to the towers. I can't see the superdrive getting small enough to fit within the confines of the PowerBook this year, maybe next year they will be here.

17. agent302 macrumors newbie

The point that you (and lots of people) seem to be missing is that DVI to VGA adapters are really cheap, whereas the one VGA to DVI (or ADC) adapter that I've seen is $300 or so. Thus, including a DVI port will allow access to a very broad spectrum of monitors, more so than just a VGA port.

18. tacojohn macrumors member

maybe this is the result of the price increase- Apple would include a DVI to VGA cable. Heck- maybe they would offer a choice between that or a DVI to ADC cable when you order.

19. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

Would bluetooth require a card, like airport. Or would it just be some ciruit inside. Also, do you think it would change the look of the tibook?

20. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Where the hell are you looking for the adapters??? I EASILY found a VGA to DVI adapter for about $36... Couple that with the $150 DVIator and you don't even come close to the $300 or so that you mention.

I HAVE two VGA monitors, why would I need/want to add an adapter to use them now???

22. agent302 macrumors newbie

OK, I have no idea what adapter you found, but this VGA to DVI Adapter (meaning from a VGA graphics card to a DVI monitor) is $299. That's not cheap. By comparison, the opposite adapter (from a DVI graphics card to a VGA monitor) is $45 (and I bet is cheaper elsewhere). So, I guarantee you that putting a DVI port will allow cheaper access to more monitors.

23. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

agebt302, IF you read my earlier post, and went to this url (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=105343) you would see the simple adapter by Belkin that takes the VGA signal from the video card and converts it to DVI. You can THEN plug the DVIator into that and go to an ADC monitor. Total solution is under $190.

IMO, only a fool wouldn't research alternate solutions to spending $300 and then another $150 to use a $1000 monitor.

Check the belkin site and see the adapter before you assume that the gefen solution is the only one. It isn't, nor is it the best one.

*newbies*:rolleyes:

24. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

The Apple Bluetooth solution is a $49 USB Dongle with free software.

Airport v2 or 802.11b is due. U.S. Robotics has already released it.

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple would simply include Airport with all portable CPU's over $2000? I cannot imagine why not.

Rocketman

25. agent302 macrumors newbie

If I read that correctly, that adapter is the same as the $45 Gefen one I linked to; as in, DVI graphics card to VGA monitor, not the other way around. And try to spell my name correctly, please.

********s* :mad: