New Tiger Build Leaked!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by grabberslasher, Oct 24, 2004.

1. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

New build of Tiger in the wild

It supposedly has the new iChat AV U+3 :)

Build number is 8A268/8A269.

2. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

does it still have those blue aqua things in the top corners of the menu bar? man those suck i hope they disapear soon. I understand that they want to make spotlight show up from the rest of the icons like time and display properties but maybe just make it highlight when you roll over it instead of making it a constant distraction.

3. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

Does it still have?? They were not in the older builds of Tiger - this will be the first build with the blue Apple and Spotlight buttons. And I like them a lot as it is. It looks nice to have the blue corners.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

You know you are really asking for it. Here come the flames.

5. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

:confused:

6. bux macrumors regular

I still don't know why non-developers would like a "unstable" OS...
    And if you really need it, you should join ADC and get it legally.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Bragging rights. Otherwise, why post here?

To quote:
    "And I have significant proof from the disk to believe it. Brilliant!"

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I understand that's why... but I don't get it. I'm an ADC member, I've got Tiger running at times, I think it's got some cool features, but I don't understand why (legal or illegal) access to the latest version is something to crow about. Tiger's nice. But it's a long, long, long way from being ready, many things that run on Panther crash on it, a lot of the new features are still half baked, etc.

If someone developed some of the new Tiger features, that would be brag-worthy. But downloading Tiger via torrent? What does that prove - Internet access? Wow, that's really impressive. :rolleyes:

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

When making the comparison with why non-developers download and trust in betas of Firefox (i.e. Firefox 0.93), you get many of the same reasons. The software isn't finalized, some features benefit over other versions of the software, and you get to learn more about how the software works before everyone else (sorta like opening your holiday gifts early).

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well i will admit that i am and have been tempted to download Tiger, just to give it a test run, because CoreImage and CoreVideo are not going to be supported with my Video Card i have been wondering if it will be worth my while to even get Tiger, i probably will, just for Spotlight and Dashboard and iChat, ect, i dont need all that eye candy anyways, but its nice to be able to show it off sometimes

11. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a forums for talking about Tiger, but when I say that there will soon be another build to talk about people start flaming.

Crazy

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't really develop enough to make an ADC Select or Premier membership worthwhile, plus I can't afford Premier status right now. It's good to see that Tiger is making steady progress towards being release-worthy.

13. James L macrumors 6502a

This is a forum for Tiger, and we all knew that another build was coming soon as it has been on some of the sites.

If your intention was too simply say "we're getting closer!" than that was cool and you shouldn't take anything here too seriously. Most people just find the loser software thieves annoying. The only people that should be using Tiger right now are developers under NDA. Software piracy does nobody any good (not saying that was your intention or not).

Cheers,

James

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

good. now are you going to give it to me or what? LOL. :D :p

as for 'getting' Tiger now, to see if any features will work on your Mac, that's pretty st00pid. it's far from what we'll see as the final Tiger build. :rolleyes:

anyways, why not wait until Tiger does come out, and then see how people say it runs on whatever Mac you've got? or just get Tiger and see for yourself?

15. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm eager for Tiger to come out because of the new iChat video conferencing capabilities. With me gone at college, brother overseas in Taiwan, it sure would be great to 'get the fam together' on weekends.

16. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i don't want to see tiger released before wwdc 2005

17. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

This leak is good for legal developers too. Many developers need to see these new features that aren't in the WWDC copy of Tiger.
    -Chase

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

actually, no, if it's not released by apple then it's still "work in progress" that may (and often will) still change in the future - 3rd party developers need to work with something that will be in the final release.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

While it's not feature-complete, it may have the feature that a certain developer needs, so it's worthy as a development target to get an idea of how the new technology will respond.

grabberslasher:

However, as a newsflash, who really cares if a new build of Tiger is leaked? I guess the developer who know longer has access to Apple will be the only one. He should have kept it to himself. If he really needed early access, he's going to regret not having it.

20. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

Well, I think anyone that obtains Tiger needs to realize that if their installation destroys life on this planet, it isn't Apple's fault because it's beta software, and as such Apple isn't legally accountable.

One should also remember there are quite a number of undocumented features in Panther that have exploited as little hacks that have similar disclosures. So, I think people are well aware that what may work now, may not work when Tiger comes out.

That being said, I think it probably is a good chance for small 3rd party developers who do it mostly for fun to at least get the germ of the idea of Tiger and see what it's potential is next year. The WWDC build at best was alpha, and this build would be better in showing what Tiger will be unleashing besides what is mentioned in the sneak preview.

21. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

well, you guys relalize that this build was officially released by Apple (*cough*for$500*cough), and its been said that it is the build for developers to use to get their program properly working before the official Tiger launch. There may be 1 or 2 new updated builds released, but for now developers can use this to "Tigerize" their applications.

22. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i guess because you want to see Tiger come out as a fully developed, bugless (as possible) operating system? well, that's what i'm hoping for as well, but if they can do it sooner, then all the better for us. :D

23. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

exactly - panther was useless before 10.3.4 and it seems 10.3.5 is not good either. (by useless i mean pro audio work and not simple textedit use)

24. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i understand what you're saying, that for your use i wasn't as good as you'd expected or wanted. But panther wasn't "useless" straight out of the box it ran photoshop and hell of a lot more without any updates what so ever. How can you possibly say its useless?

Sure there are always things to be improved etc but your comment seems like a major exageration. :confused:

25. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd say JFreak's comment was just overly broad, not exaggerated. I'd rephrase it as something like this:

The current release of Panther isn't very useful for professional audio work because the makers of professional audio applications haven't yet certified the current Panther release for use with their applications.

Why professional audio applications need to be "certified" for a particular OS release is beyond me, though.