New Tiger Install--Help Requested

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neoelectronaut, Nov 23, 2005.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I'm installing 10.4 right now onto my old eMac. After much deliberation I finally broke down and bought the dang OS...

Regardless, I'm restore all my music and whatnot now, but what I'd like to know is how to get my old Apps back. I stuck in my eMac restore disc and installed "Software Restore", was this the right thing to do, or have I just overwritten a Tiger version of "Software Restore"?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You can use System restore to just restore applications (and e.g. Classic support) and not the whole system, it should look something like this (but the exact configuration varies after which OS your Mac came with):

[​IMG]

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You should have asked this question before you ran System Restore. System Restore returned your computer to its out-of-box state. This was the exact opposite of what you wanted. You should have inserted the MacOS X 10.4 CD and upgraded your OS. This would have preserved all of your old files. As it is, they are irretrievably lost.

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

No no, I backed up all my documents, movies, iTunes music, and whatnot, when I said Apps I was just refering to iLife and the few apps that came preinstalled with my computer. I knew exactly what I was doing in doing a complete system wipe, and thus planned accordingly.