New Time Capsules Rather Than Apple's Servers to Act as Hub for iCloud Data Syncing?

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Cult of Mac reports that it has received information indicating that revamped versions of Apple's Time Capsule wireless router/hard drive combination will serve as the hub for iCloud data syncing, with data stored directly on the device rather than on Apple's servers.
    The source reports that this implementation of a local iCloud is "fully baked" and ready for deployment in future versions of Mac OS X and iOS, although there has been no hint of the functionality in developer seeds of Mac OS X Lion seen thus far. It is also unclear how such a system would integrate with the iCloud music streaming service, as a number of reports in the mainstream media suggested more of a true cloud-based system for that aspect of things, with Apple able to scan users' iTunes libraries and simply provide streaming access to those tracks from any device connected to the user's iCloud.

As noted by MyService, Apple's idea of a local cloud network dates back twenty years, with Steve Jobs having detailed some of the advantages of such a setup during a Q&A session at WWDC in 1997. (Discussion begins at around 13:10 mark.)

Cult of Mac's claims harken back to a report from The Loop's Jim Dalrymple back in mid-February in which he claimed that cloud-based strategy for a revamped MobileMe would in fact be focused on streaming data from users' machines rather hosting it directly on Apple's servers. A local cloud stored on a Time Capsule device would seem to be a middle-of-the-road solution offering much of what Dalrymple proposed while avoiding the need to keep a source computer awake and running for the service to function.

We'll certainly be learning more about iCloud tomorrow as Steve Jobs takes the stage for the keynote at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference at 10:00 AM Pacific Time / 1:00 PM Eastern Time. MacRumors will be providing live coverage of the keynote via MacRumorsLive and Twitter.

Article Link: New Time Capsules Rather Than Apple's Servers to Act as Hub for iCloud Data Syncing?
  2., Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011

macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2011
    I think that Apple is going to introduce a public + private cloud. That is probably needed because of the limited broadband speeds that we still have and to increase the usability of the solutions Apple has in mind (think of OTA iOS updates etc.).
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 12, 2008
    Forgive me if I'm wrong and being silly, but why are new TCs needed for this? Couldn't this be implemented through a software update on older models?

And doesn't this sound more like 'Back to my Time Capsule' instead of iCloud?
  4. macrumors member

Sep 18, 2008
    Great, it makes a lot of sense.

If my time machine was my primary document store, and also served up my music and video to Apple TVs then it addresses my primary desire which is not to have to leave my Mac on all the time.

I'd still expect this to be mirrored on Apples servers too - what if my time capsule hard drive dies? Perhaps the new time capsule will be marketed as an extra to the iCloud service? Not required but something that will make a material difference.
  5. macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds more like a Pogoplug.

I really hope it isn't this as it will be horribly disappointing.
  6. macrumors 68000

Dec 15, 2006
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Interesting article. Let's hope iCloud offers something along these lines.
  7. macrumors member

Sep 18, 2008
    My suspicion, if the new time capsule software is iOS based, is that some of the older models may not have the required hardware to run it (CPU, memory, storage). I know they have an ARM chip inside of them, but I was under the impression it wasn't all that powerful.
  8. macrumors member

Feb 26, 2008
    Time Capsule

If they can nail down the security side of this, it could be very useful. We all own about 3-4 Mac/iOS devices. Why not have them work better together?
  9. macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

FAIL! If iCloud requires everyone to buy Time Capsule for it to work..
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2007
    In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
    The original already provides web access LOL.
    Also you have been able to stream movies and music from mobileme and dot mac for years.
  11. macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Then adoption is going to be worse than MobileMe.

But it's not a surprise given how Apple has screwed up their Internet strategy many times before.
  12. macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2010
    I've really tried to stay positive about what will be introduced on Monday, but this will not work for me. I am not going to purchase ANOTHER Time Capsule in order to have that feature. The TC I have now already handles N and is 2TB so I won't be needing a new TC to improve in any of those areas.

The way I see it is Apple will have to do 1 of two things in order to get me to buy into this cloud strategy.
    1. Offer a Trade-In for TC owners.
    2. Make it so the older TC's can be updated to include this instead of new hardware having to be purchased.
  13. macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sounds like I'll stick with Dropbox

Doesn't sound very useful with my <50k ADSL upload speed. Even Uverse is only 3mb upload.
  14. macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2009
    Der Wald
    I Like It....

A "local" cloud is much more appealing to me than having all my stuff "somewhere" available when all components "in the end to end path" from my ? to my Mac are having a "sunny day". Not to mention privacy issues....

That being said it will be interesting to see how "iCloud" evolves with Apple TV and iTunes content and "streaming".

Maybe tomorrow we'll have some answers.....
  15. macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    I think this would be a good way to go. It just better support external hard drives though
  16. macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2009
    Hermitage, TN
    I just want to be able to transfer movies/music/etc to my Apple TV or iPhone/iPad/iPod without the damn computer being on.
  17. macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2010
    Well done Apple!!!!!!

You have invented the NAS device!!!!!

Something them PC/mac Users have had for years, may I point you to a little company called

So how much is this new NAS capsule £300 with a £25 a year subscription?

Sinology is £150 and does far far more! And streams music is a web server,torrent downloader,CTV device,iTunes server and streams music to hifi's!

I love Apple products but this is a total Meh!!
  18. macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2006
    So this should serve everything you have not purchased in iTunes. I have always hated leaving my laptop on just to stream to the TV. Hope they make a firmware update for old capsules.

This would only be useful for in house though. Streaming from Time Capsule remotely would eat up 2 bandwidth limits. Your iOS device, and your home internet provider.

I set up a NAS last year and have gotten sick of how finnicky it is.
  19. macrumors 65816

Apr 8, 2011
    Western Hemisphere
    It's a stroke of genius for Apple and the worshippers nealt down before Steve.

The plan will sell more time capsules than ever. Brilliant.
  20. macrumors member

Jul 21, 2005
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Finally a sensible cloud strategy. I don't want to depend on service providers always being there, but I like this approach. My data on my hardware with a service that augments it by making it easier to access. Brilliant.
  21. macrumors member

Mar 7, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    While it isn't as robust as this sounds, I can't see why would replace my Dropbox account. It's free and makes everything available on all of my devices instantly.
  22. Moderator

Staff Member

Apr 2, 2008
    The Time Capsule as your own personal server. It's been waiting to do this since it was introduced.
  23. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    If Apple wants something like this to take off, they need to price the hardware aggressively: low-end, bring-your-own HD version $99?
  24. macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2006
    I don't get it

I feel like this is a solution looking for a problem. Imagine being able to access your "stuff" from anywhere! Wow. You mean, the way I can when I carry a laptop - particularly a nice thin light one that Apple already makes?

Except, this would be slower.
  25. macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2007
    Washington DC

I hope you can plug a hard drive to AirPort Extreme and have an iCloud too. Really don't want to buy another router just for this.