new to adium

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by derajfast, Sep 16, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

its good.....but is there a way i can have it programmed to speak the name of my buddy when they sign on or off etc.....and is there a "get file " like in aim...and also if i can get it to speak the names of my buddies, is there a way i can import all those commands from ichat, or do i have to go in myself and do it again

2. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

also, what about video chatting, and organizng my buddylist alphabetically

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Adium is great, I'll try to answer your questions.

#1. Video chatting is not possible yet or for the foreseeable future.
    #2. Sorting question see: http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/SortingContacts
    #3. You can make adium speak when a contact comes online by going to the preferences, events, then selecting the "Contact signs on" and finally clicking the + at the bottom left of the preferences window. From there you can select the option and configure the options.

I don't know what get file is.

4. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks.....but for speaking the event, is there a way it will do it for everyone, or do i have to do it for each individual one and go in to it manually.....i just want it to speak the event when the buddy signs on/off, and puts up an away message/takes it down....so theres no other way to make this work other than do 4 separate times for each buddy

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I believe that method will do it for all buddies. To do it on a per-contact basis there is another way.

6. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks.....the volume seems a little high for the program....is there a way to adjust this in the program w/o the main volume being adjusted since thats already on the lowest setting.....also, is there a way to make a profile? thanks

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I love adium! Can't believe I used crappy AOL IM and ichat for so long.

You make a profile by going:
    adium (menu) > preferences > accounts (select your account) > personal

Such an awesome program. Unless you need A/V, it's lightyears ahead of ichat.

8. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Adium is my favorite instant messaging client. It's so great! But file xfers suck.

9. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

what about the volum,e of my alerts being so high even when the main volume is on low? and whats wrong with the file transfers? too slow or just the interface

10. evands macrumors member

Events: Preferences->Events does global. Get Info on a contact->Events does per contact [you can also do per-group, by the way].

Volume: Preferences->General. This won't affect the Speech actions in 0.84, but will in the next version.

Hope that helps :)

11. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i cant adjust the volume of the program itself.....because its VERY loud and very annoying.....i have to wait for the next upgrade? any idea when thatll be? thanks

12. evands macrumors member

You can adjust the volume of the sounds via the slider in the General prefs, but not the speech. Look for a beta of the next version in the next week.

13. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok also.....is it not possible to send more then 1 file at a time? i tried sending a folder to someone, and i hit enter, but it just sent a blank message.......

14. Stereo 99 macrumors newbie

actually now that libgaim (the core of adium) development team has gotten file transfers to work 100%, adium in the next relase or two should have file transfer. i would check out the official adium forum at
    http://forums.cocoaforge.com