new to airport

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jkaz, Mar 21, 2005.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

i've been using airport to distribute internet access and faciliate the local network for about 8 months.

it sat in a corner office with a cable plugged into it that supplied the internet access.

today, i decided to connect it to the laser for 24hr access to printing replacing the ibook for network printing.

it's printing just fine.

but i've got a color inkjet and a scanner.

can i get a usb hub and plug it into the airport? will it handle all three?

will it need tricky config?

what hub do you recommend?

what's the best way of doing this?

thanks!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im not sure if the airport base station will be able to be connected to the hub and have all the devices work, i think you can only have one connected at a time, but again im not 100% sure on this

3. Bear macrumors G3

The AirPort Express and most of the AirPort Extreme bases stations handle only one USB printer. (Only the one that supports power-over-ethernet handles up to 4 printers.)

The USB on the AirPorts can only handle printers and not other devices.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Yeah, the person above is right, you can't all three at once. I don't think the AirPort hub can distinguish between them. Also, they scanner won't work period through the hub. I have an AirPort express with a lexmark X75, it's a multi-function printer. All I can do is print to it, I can't use the scanner unless I bring my computer over to it, which kinda sucks. I've read somewhere that apple is trying to get this worked out so that we can have full functioning of our printers wirelessly.