NEW to apple, help please

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dorqiekat, Jul 3, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Hi, I just got a 12 inch 1GHz Powerbook from a reseller. I don't really know much about apples, I've had windows until now. I LOVE my powerbook and have been wanting an apple for a very long time now. I was very skeptical about buying from a reseller but really didn't have a choice because of budget. I'm a student and don't have a job. Because I had gotten my computer from a reseller and not directly from apple has made my fear grow that I was ripped off. :(

Anyway, don't want to bore you with my sad story and all.

First time apple user and I have a few questions that might probably be very silly.

When I go to network, there are about 10 servers connected or something. And then... they just disappear! What does this mean??? Is my computer connected somehow with others? I see like, Chris's computer, or Denise's computer... etc. Is this normal? Can others see my server?

And when I run iTunes, there is a link or something on the right side as “shared files” is there any way to turn this feature off?

Don’t worry there are only two more senseless, silly questions.

How do I download updated patches from apple? Does it even exist? (Thinking windows here)...

And the grand finale!

I have cable, and I am always connected to the internet. Should I buy an antivirus? I am extremely paranoid of getting a virus and if I do, will not have the money or the knowledge of fixing the problem. Plus, will I even know I'm infected?

Well, thanks for reading my sad sad post. I feel very little. I feel I knew a lot of my PC, and though apple is easy to use... it's still hard when you've never operated it before. And hence, feeling little.

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

1)sounds to me it still has the network and network places from the previous owner.

2)I'm not sure, try opening itunes preferences, then seeing the options under sharing.

3)click on the apple at the top left corner then software update.

4)as of today there are no known Mac viruses, sure they technically can be susceptible to viruses there just aren't any posing a real threat as of yet.

hope this helps.

I would suggest reformatting your HD and reinstalling OS X, just to have a fresh start. that is unless there is software on there you don't want to lose that the previous owner installed or even if you don't have the install discs.

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

The computer was bought new, or at lest I hope so. So I'm not sure what the deal is with the network thingy. :confused:

The iTunes problem was fixed.

How do I know which software to update? Just all the ones that the computer tells me to? And how often should I update?

As for the antivirus, I don't really want to spend all that money on a virus protect if there isn't the need. So I'll be skipping that.

Thanks for your help! :D

4. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

First off: Welcome to the Mac platform! (We're glad to see you ;))

Yes, your questions are definitely those of a newbie, but that's really a good thing (because they're pretty easy to answer).

1. (The question with the long, but actually simple, response) When you go to "Network" in a Finder window (that's a Desktop window), you're really "Browsing" the available network, but you aren't connected to the servers you see. You can connect to one of these servers by double-clicking its icon and then logging on as a registered user or a guest. Connected servers will always "mount" themselves and appear as drives. You will most likely see the server on your desktop or in the sidebar in a Finder window (if you aren't seeing them there, but they are connected, go to the "Finder" menu while in the Finder and select Preferences; you can decide where you'll see inserted CDs, connected servers, et cetera.). Connected Servers will always appear in the "Computer" window (that's "Shift-Apple-C" in the Finder).
    As for the disappearing icons, you're most likely seeing your own computer. An icon for your computer (which, in all fairness, is a server) will appear when you first go to the Network window, but it will disappear as soon as the system realizes that the icon doesn't need to be there.

2. You can turn off sharing in iTunes in the iTunes Preferences ("iTunes" menu, then "Preferences"). It's under the "Sharing" header.

3. Apple updates come through a program called "Software Update", which usually runs itself on a regular (usually weekly) basis. However, you can run it manually or set the time between automatic checks inside "System Preferences." Just go to the Apple menu, select System Preferences, and look for the "Software Update" icon.

4. This is more a matter of opinion, however I think almost everyone around here (myself included) would tell you not to bother with anything anti-virus related. I've been using Macs for 12 years and I've never encountered a virus of any sort. Some basic web safety is a good idea, though. OS X has a built-in Firewall that you can turn on inside System Preferences. Go to the "Sharing" icon and you'll be able to turn on the Firewall (and select which ports to leave open).

Well, I hope you're feeling better about your new Mac now. It might feel strange at first, but to a Mac veteran, using Windows is like trying to draw DaVinci's "Last Supper" on an etch-a-sketch. :D

EDIT: In Software Update, you'll always want to install Security Updates, Firmware Updates, OS X updates, and updates to any of Apple's standard applications (like iTunes, iCal, et cetera.). But you usually don't need to install anything for an application you don't have (like Apple Remote Desktop and Keynote and so on).

5. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

oh sorry, for some reason by reseller I was thinking used. don't know what I was thinking so disregard what I said about previous owner.

as far as the network thing I'm not sure as I've never run into that myself. I presume they are just open networks your pb has detected.

I usually read the descriptions of things to be installed to see if I need them or not, such as ipod updates, I don't have one so why bother. As far as how often, under system preferences you can set how often it checks for updates.

I'm kind of new to the Mac so I'm still getting over the learning curve myself. from my experiences it shouldn't be too difficult for yourself.

6. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why thank you! I'm glad to be here too. Or I don't think I'd have any nails or hair left. :rolleyes:

So, for the first question (about the network), when I see other servers and such... I'm not connected to them.. right? And if you do double-click on it, do you then get connected? Can others see me and connect with me?
    I turned the firewall on, so that should quit the sharing and such.

I do feel better. If thats the case with using windows, I'm a very talented etch-a-sketch-er! lol

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I would also check the sharing options in system preferences. If you have Personal File Sharing checked on other Mac users can connect to your hard disk ( they need to know your user name and password). Windows Sharing allows windows users to connect to your hard disk (again only if they supply correct username and password). If you do not need these options then turn them off.

It sounds like the disappearing computers is caused by your Powerbook seeing other computers via Airport (which is compatible with windows and Mac WiFi). I suspect you were in a location were your Powerbook could see these other computers, then you shut it down, moved to another location, and then browsed the network. You then saw these other computers briefly before the network browser updated and removed these computers that were no longer visible.

8. Koree macrumors 6502

Hey Pyrocaster

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

dorqiekat, please don't feel bad asking questions. 98% of the posters to this site are happy to help each other. You're a member of the community now.

I have a few questions/comments:

(1) Is your PB registered with Apple? When you turned it on for the very first time, it should have had you register. Just checking to make sure...

(2) Once you are registered, you'll want to save for AppleCare support, which you need to buy within the first year. It is very important, but you can wait the year to get it, or at least 90 days until your free phone support runs out. You don't need to buy it now (there is literally no difference between buying it now and within 90 days of purchase, and, if you wait the year, you lose free phone support until you buy it - which you could do immediately prior to making a support call). Buy it now, buy it later - it still runs out 3 years after your purchase date.

(3) There will one day be a Mac virus that causes a need for anti-virus software. That day has not yet come. Keep up to date with your Software Updates, use your firewall, and practice the sort of safe browsing you already know from the Windows world. You also might want to get a router to go between your Mac and the cable modem - that will also have a firewall that might be useful.

(4) In addition to using Software Update, you can always go here to check for updates.

Welcome to the community, and have fun with your system!

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Just some more reassuring advice about the network issues:

Mac makes it very easy to *find* and *connect* to other computers, but also very secure. You specify on your computer whether users can connect, but even then, they must have an account name and know its password. So as long as you don't share your password(s) with others, your computer is secure, whether or not you have sharing enabled. Disabling personal file sharing is an additional layer of security, but it is not necessary as long as your password is secure. If you want to give someone limited access to your computer, you can set up their own account and specify what they have access to (even just a single folder).

This is probably why you saw so many available networks on your computer. Perhaps you live in an apartment or went to an internet cafe where other computers were visible from your computer. You could see them, but you wouldn't have been able to connect to them (assuming they were macs) unless their owners wanted you to.

11. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Great point. If someone (who you didn't know, or didn't have any passwords or persmission) did try to connect to your computer (at least with another Mac, im not sure how it works with windows) they would be prompted with a message asking them for the password for their specific username, or they can mount your hd as a "Guest" All that a Guest can do is drop folders into your Dropbox, which is located at HD>Users>current use>Public>Dropbox. The only thing that could happen would be you receiving a little present in there sometime... haha.

Good luck with everything else, hope I eased some of your fears. And like others have said, Welcome to the community!