New to Apple lots of Questions!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Celticfaere, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Celticfaere macrumors newbie

Hi all, :confused: :eek:
    I just recently got a iMac dv, and I love it. However, being a pc'r for most of my life I have a few questions. I find alot of the terminology foreign. Mostly b/c I am just so used to PC's that I never really have to think about it.

One I can't figure out how to import addresses into my address book. Is it possible. I don't know what LDIF is.
    also, I just got Panther, and loaded it on my machine, but some how I wiped out my classic, does anyone know if I reformat how I can have both running so I don't lose some applications.

I am really new at this and I would appreciate any help at all.

Jenn

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

What probably happened is when you installed Panther, you clicked the "Erase and Format" button as opposed to the "Upgrade the Existing OS" button. To get back Classic, you'll have to do a reinstall of everything (unless anybody knows of a better and/or faster way of doing this as I don't). I can't remember the exact sequences, but essentually, you have to install a copy of OS9 onto your computer then install OSX ontop of it. My suggestion would be to find a Mac dealer that can do the installs for you for cheap (assuming you have a copy of both OS9 & OSX) unless you feel comfortable in doing this yourself. However, unless you absolutely need Classic for work or school, I'd go with just OSX.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I don't think this is true. You can install OS 9 after OS X to get a Classic install, so you needn't erase everything you already have.

I think LDIF is just a special format just like vCard, but I don't know for sure, too.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Correct. Insert the first Software Restore CD, select to customise the installation, and deselect everything except for Mac OS 9. That should get it going again :)

5. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Well, it's good to know you can do that, however, when I installed 9 after X on my computer, everytime I booted up into OS9, I could never reboot into OSX and only when I did the install the other way (9 before X) was I able to jump from one to the other without issue. Perhaps that was just an issue with my computer.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It may be that you did not install MacOS 9 drivers on your hard disk when you installed MacOS X first. Without MacOS 9 drivers, you cannot boot into MacOS 9.