New to Apple

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kit697, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Kit697 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Ive recently bought a Macbook and would like to know if it is possible to enhance the screen to fit the page.For example,if im using word,i can only have it on half the screen,can i not fit it to the whole of the screen?

Also,is there any cool things i should do when starting out? everything is so new to me

Thanx for any help

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

On a Mac clicking the green button doesn't "maximise" in the windows sense. It makes the window just big enough to fit in what you are working on. It takes some getting used to but you'll find it better in the end.

You can always click and drag to resize as big as you want of course.

For cool tips, just browse this site! A good place to start is here

3. Kit697 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The Mac way of learning your way around would be just to try everything. Look at the menus, press the buttons. Another good way, though, is David Pogue's Switching to the Mac: Tiger Edition. Available through Amazon. It has helped many Switchers feel comfortable with a new OS. Best wishes.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

in word, i believe (this is without looking) that at the bottom left of the screen there is display styles (such as fullscreen etc) there are 3 little icons

7. nodabs macrumors regular

I just made the switch last weekend (i'm a software engineer and have been working on Windows my whole life) and i've been struggling with the OS a little. Windows is so engrained in my brain! How in-depth is this book? I might pick it up...

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i think what you're referring to is the options for viewing the document, none of which make it the size of the screen - there's regular, list, presentation, and notebook (my nicknames, not theirs - i think).

to make the document full-size, you'll have to expand the window manually (by dragging from the bottom right corner). it's not that bad and actually i've come to like it since i can have 2 documents open at the same time - one with notes from a presentation and the other a report i'm working on.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You will pick it up real fast, stay connected to MR and tweak your system until your heart content...best way to learn is by doing.

Bless

10. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Using both windows (@ work) and macs (@ home), I think windows is much more tailored towards working in full screen mode. Macs, on the other hand, are more tailored towards seeing multiple programs on the screen at the same time. There is a tighter integration between programs on macs (in my opinion) that incourages moving info between programs, via drag-n-drop or other means.

On my mac, I love having a ton of windows open at the same time. With Expose, it never really becomes cluttered. On windows though, I can't stand having multiple windows open on the screen - It has to be whatever I am working on in full screen.

Play around with it and give it some time, you'll probably come around to appreciate Mac's style of handling windows like most all other switchers do.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I also highly recommend Mac OS X Tiger Killer Tips.

It's one of those books that you can read a minute or two at a time, as each page (or half page) contains a self-contained tip, and the tips are grouped by category. Lots of cool ideas, and it's only $20.

12. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It won't give you a software engineer's understanding of the OS (there are other books for that), but it will help you overcome those ingrained Windows habits. While most people feel comfortable in a few hours to a few weeks, I have found this book speeds the process and teaches things that many people who have been using the OS for years don't know. Check it out here.

As has been pointed out there is much useful information online and the Mac online community is very helpful. Have fun.