New to Camcorders, please help with first purchase :)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chasingapple, Jul 7, 2006.

1. chasingapple macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2004
    Ok, we are finally going to get ourselves a Digital Camcorder, but there are so many styles, different media types, and price-points that I am confused at which is a good buy. I see that there are DV, Mini-DV, Flash, and well a grip of different types, which is good?

What we are going to do with it is film home movies, trips to Disneyland, etc. Nothing HD or to make a theatrical movie or anything, but something good for less then $400 that doesnt cost a fortune in storage! Any help or hands on experiences would be awesome, and myself and the wife thank yoou in advance for the help.
  2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi, I have this one... and if you need or want a clip of video I can send you one of well, my friends home just caught fire today and we video taped it for the Ins. and you could see a two minute clip of the burnt car/garage.
    I really like it but the Sony models are nice as well. The next door neighbor got a great deal on one of the JVC units that have the HDD and not tapes but I'm not sure how the video is on them :cool:
    Any way send me a pm with your email if you like, then just burn the clip and preview it on your TV. The video came out great and looks really good on my HDTV without any grain.
  3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Do a search and you'll see a ton of "what camera should I buy" threads (they come up 2-3 times a week). I can't help you w/specific models, but you'll want a MiniDV camera. The MiniDVD, solid state, and HDD based cameras offer inferior quality and inferior easy of use when it comes time to edit the footage on your Mac.

4. chasingapple thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2004
    Appreciate the heads up. I did do a search but I always find it better to ask for myself, that way I can get a more custom answer for what I need it for. MiniDV looks to be the right choice I agree, I think I am gravitating toward the Canon ZR-700. Right around my price, and looks to be a winner for what I need. Anyone had any experience with this camera?