New to folding...

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by G4Grover, Jul 31, 2004.

1. G4Grover macrumors member

I just discovered folding, think it's a great thing to use those normally idle CPU's!!

I am doing it on my Athlon XP2400, user name jgrover2001 and I used the MacRumors # 3446.

My current WU progress is at 18 percent.

How do I tell what the specific project it's working on is about? It's labled p269_h20 but I couldn't find anything about it on Stanfords site.

Any other tips?

TIA - Jason

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

3. G4Grover thread starter macrumors member

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You'll become accustomed to using the Stanford statistics page for a lot of things, including server problems that happen occasionally.

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I just started folding two days ago. I've got two computers folding:
    Dual 2.0 running the dual software
    P4 3.0e HT running XP crap

Since the P4 is HT, folding only chews on the first virtual processor. Is there a way to get a version that takes advantage of hyper threading? This P4 could be doing alot more than it is. Any help would be appreciated...

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Take a look at recently updated threads in Distributed Computing. There was information on that exact topic.

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Maybe i'm just blind, but i've already read EVERY thread...twice. There is no info on harnessing HT on a winblows box. If you've got a link, pass it my way... Or, you can just tell me how to do it.

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Don't know for sure, but you need 2 FAH folders. Take one and call it FAH1, the other FAH2. With the setup of both programs, do one thing different, and that is the machine ID. The first one has machine ID 1, the other machine ID 2. This tells your folding app and Stanford form which proc the WU comes from. So in plain English this means processor 1 and processor 2. I think that is all. Don't know for sure this works, but that is basically how the dual script on a mac works, so I guess this should also work an a PC. If I am wrong, could someone please correct me!

9. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey, Big Fix

Hey, I've got a solution I think you'll like better than two clients. I have a 2.6GHz P4 that came with HT, and I too noticed it was only using 50 percent of the CPU. There's an easy way to turn off HT. First, you have to find that file that controls the boot-ness of the drive, (please someone after me post a better description of this process). I believe it's in msconfig somewhere. You've probably all seen it, the file that has /fastdetect at the end of the line? Well you just copy and past that, so you have two identical lines. Then, after one of them, add "/onecpu". When windows boots next time, you'll have a choice as to which option to use. Using the one with the /onecpu option will boot windows with hyperthreading disabled. I'm going to look for a link to a site with a better explanation, as I'm on my iBook right now and can't remember the exact procedure...

10. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

That's under the system properties (Right-click on "My Computer"), under the advanced tab. There should be a button for boot options. I can't remember the exact name either, and I'm on my PowerBook and VPC will kill my battery....

As far as the idea of disabling HT....why? I'm pretty sure your performance will be the same if you are using only one of the virtual processors vs. disabling the threading option. Not much point. I'm not sure going just by the simple CPU graph is being verbose enough; meaning, Windows is limited in explaining the hyper-threading load. If anything, Windows will at least balance the load on the processors, so doing other tasks won't slow down the folding as much if you only use one of the virtuals. Correct me if I am wrong...

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

You're right. Disabling HT won't get me any more speed. So... just so there's no mistake: i need to run two copies of f@h to utilize HT?

12. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

HT

True, you won't get any more performance in games, apps, that sorta thing by disabling HT. But this way you'll only have to run one copy of the F@H console, and it'll use 100% of the CPU. (Rather than two programs each using 50%) While it's doing the same amount of work, it's getting through the projects faster. I just find it less hassling to run one console. Up to you! :D

13. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

It is said that running HT and running two FAH you get more work done, more WU's that you finish, more points! Don't know if this is true.

14. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

If only :)

Nope, as when running with HT enabled, the WU's take twice as long to finish (even though you're doing two at a time). It comes out even in the end.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I run two F@H consoles on my 2.4 HT P4. If I only run one task manager shows 50% CPU usage max. Running two brings it up to 100%. :cool:

16. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

No, it doesn't, you end up finishing maybe 1.6-1.8X as long, so you end up completing more work, thats the beauty of HT is it multitasks AND increases performance. I think I remember hearing the number 30% (performance increase) but I am not positive if that is the correct number