New to G5....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by JimyThng420, Mar 13, 2004.

1. JimyThng420 macrumors newbie

I am a new mac user, and got a dual 1.8 G5 about two months ago. Well since I've gotten it it has froze twice, and will randomly, not all the time, be a little slow at loading up. Should I be worried about this. or just accept the fact that no computer is perfect, even the G5. :p Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I bet the slow startups are right after you install something. my mac and all macs do that also. freezing happens. I had one yesterday. 2 freezes in 2 months is pretty damn good I would say. how much ram is in it, whats your full xbench score. indulge me please as I will be buying the dual 1.8 when the new G5's are out.

3. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I have a Dual 2GHz G5, and never had it freeze in OS X. the only freeze I've ever had is when using GroupWise from Novel in Classic mode. (which, by the way, is an absolutely MISERABLE program. Whomever is in charge of that operation at Novel should be drawn and quartered)

the only other causes for freezes in OS X is if connected to a server, your computer goes to sleep, and the server is disconnected remotely. This almost always freezes OSX upon awaking the computer.

If OS X is freezing, and you're not running classic, I might have it looked at.

4. JimyThng420 thread starter macrumors newbie

It has 512mb, just default. Haven't upgraded yet. My Xbench is 192.62. So I guess i was just over reacting. I've never had a Mac before, so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't acting up on me. Thanks for your help.

5. yeash28 macrumors newbie

yeash28

you are sure you are talking about your whole system freezing and not just a specific app? i have been using os X since 10.1 on four different computers and i can count on one hand how many times i had to restart.

6. Low macrumors member

i dont have a G5 (not yet) buy my pb12 which was my first mac used to crash like once a week when i first got. i was really disapointed being all the hype about being stable. i hadnt even downloaded or installed any programs at that time. i think jag was just pretty unstable...now that i have upgraded the ram and went to panther, it isnt as bad. i do get that spinning beach ball often when i go down to my dock..for some reason my pb keeps hanging, so i end up doing a manual boot which sucks..oh well..my bad luck probably

7. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

YOU AREN'T OVERREACTING AT ALL!!!

I got my PowerBook in June, and the OS has NEVER frozen. I wouldn't be extremely worried, but I would advise checking to see if it's something particular causing the problem. Also, get all updates, repair permissions, and run the maintenance scripts. Instructions for the last two follow.

1. Repair Permissions: Open Disk Utility in your \Applications\Utilities directory. Select your HD and choose "Repair Disk Permissions." This is the most common/effective troubleshooting step.

2. Maintenance Scripts: Open Terminal also in the Utilities folder. Type "sudo periodic daily" without quotes and enter your Admin password at the prompt. Then repeat twice first substituting "weekly" then "monthly" for "daily." These scripts should run automatically but only do if your computer is on from about 3 to 5 AM. They clear junk, rotate logs and other things, make some new logs, and do other stuff I really can't identify.

After all of this restart.

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

How long should this process take? Thanks for the post, I need to learn more about terminal.

My 17" with Panther has been acting goofy... ever since I installed AOL 9. Stupid AOL. :mad:

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you have a cpu that apple has been using since 99 and he has one that they have used for less than a year. freezing happens on newer hardware quite often. also, I get the odd freeze now and then (maybe once every 3 weeks) because I have a sonnet upgrade. one freeze every 3 weeks or so that takes 1 min to fix is not a problem for me at all.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

The daily and monthly scripts run very quickly. The weekly script takes a few minutes. I use Macjanitor to run them manually. It's a freebie. You should be able to find it at versiontracker.com

11. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502

Mac Hammer Fan

G5 Dual 1.8 crashes except when the monitor is set to 256 colors

My friend bought a G5 Dual 1.8 rev A and it suffers from random crashes. Apple Hardware test and Techtool Pro didn't detect any problems. We even brought the machine back to the shop and there it was checked too. My friend paid 30 EUR but the problem wasn't solved. He was told that too many files on the desktop caused the crashes. Can you believe that? After re-installation of the system software and all the updates through the internet, the problem wasn't gone.
    We repaired permissions and used Cache Out X and Cocktail without result.
    The computer freezes when a window is moved in the finder, unless the monitor is set to 256 colors. We can still move the mouse, but the G5 doesnt react anymore...
    We hear disk activity for a few seconds before the computer locks up. Keyboard shortcuts don't work, so we are unable to force quit. The only solution is a hard restart.

The problem seems to be related to the video-card (a Geforce 5200) or to its drivers since I assume that the card isn't accelerated in 256 colors.
    We are desperate...

And we have read other threads of random lockups with other Macs in Panther.
    Is Panther really so buggy?

Is there something like an extension manager such as Conflict Catcher in OS9 to disable the NVIDIA accelerator extension?

TIA

12. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I am starting to sense a pattern here. The common thread being the GeForce 5200 card maybe? I am having other similar problems with my rev b dual 1.8. Unfortunately, I can't even get it to start up. I have an explanation of my problem at the following thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82224

13. yeash28 macrumors newbie

yeash28

does the problem persist on different user accounts? if it doesn't then the problem is likely a pref file in your user library

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I've had my G5 for a year, and it has frozen a number of time using a specific combination of programs (Namely Y!M and Warcraft at the same time), but aside from that it has only ever frozen once.

2 Freezes in 2 months for a mac is pretty bad.. But I'm not sure theres anything you can do about it.

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

He'd have to use an account for a month and wait to see if it froze to see MAYBE if this was related.

16. oldfart macrumors member

.....Ran into your other thread...

Never thought of it....only becuse most problems are associated with RAM.

...But I did have a customer who bought a new G5 Single with the 5200 Graphics card in it. I traced the problem to the card.

Called Apple Tech Support and they mailed a new one ASAP!
    Problem solved!!

17. oldfart macrumors member

....Hmmmmm

Try getting Apple to replace the 5200 Graphics card with a new one....

....worked for me!