New to games....

Discussion in 'Games' started by allisonv7, Jan 21, 2005.

1. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Jul 20, 2004
    I used to play The Sims back in the day but haven't in years. I was thinking it might be kindof fun to get into, and plus I'd kindof like to to see how my new iMac will run a game, the main reason I never played before was because my computer was too slow. I've been doing a bit of reading on this site and came up with a few possibilities, let me know if you think an iMac G5 1.8 ghz, 512mb will run them :)

1. Civilization III
    2. Railroad Tycoon 3
    3. Sim City 4
    4. Lemonade Tycoon
    5. Zoo Tycoon
    6. The Sims w/expansion packs (from what I've read it doesn't look like Sims 2 will work well :( )

If you can't tell I'm into that whole Sim thing :) Anyways, let me know your experiences/opinions. I don't know much as far as video cards and games and stuff goes :)

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    A G5 iMac will have little to no problem running those titles. They aren't very Processor/Memory/Video Card heavy, AFAIK. You could probably get away with a Mac Mini for those games.
  3. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2003
    Chucktown, SC
    I have numbers 1, 3 & 6, and they all run splendidly on my 12" 1.33 Ghz PB with only 256 MB of RAM.

As far as I know, I should have no problems running Sims 2 when it comes out. At least, I better not - this is a brand new freakin' computer.
  4. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    All the titles you mentioned should run great.
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Yep, everything will run just fine. Sim City 4 may have some slow downs, but its a heavily graphics and CPU dependent game.
  6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Sim City 4 is the only that moght give you a little trouble just because it is the most graphic intensive game out of all those. I have trouble running it once in a while with the setup in my sig.
  7. AnewMac macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2004
    The Northern Plains of OK!
    Those should run fine on your setup. My powerbook breezes on the sims (as should be expected)..
  8. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    Sim City 4 is just a poorly optimized game anyway. I don't think I would be wrong to say that the PC version is better optimized than the Mac version and my roommate's AMD 64 computer with a basic (not super-duper-mondo-fantastic) 6800 struggles when zooming or scrolling around.