New to GarageBand

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dawnp, Feb 11, 2005.

1. dawnp macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2005
    I have recorded a guitar track by playing guitar into my microphone. The problem is that it is not very loud when I listen back in GarageBand. My vocals also into the same mike is ok. Does this mean that I need to plug in guitar. I would like to avoid doing this as my guitar is unable to do this. The volumes are all turned up so I don't understand. Could it be that I need a better mike? Oh, maybe I should mention that I have the iMac G5. I've gone into system prefs and clicked on line in.
  2. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2003
    You are really a newbe..ha ha

I'm a newbe too but not that new..

Theres a whole world of stuff involved in this GarageBand and recording and all..

I'm just now beginning to record and play my guitar[accoustic] into GarageBand myself, along with vocals..I have a new in the box G5 Power Mac 2.5 and iLife 5 which is GarageBand 2

I have a M-Audio Radium 61 controller keyboard coming soon and a M-Audio Solo [Firewire] pre-amp coming too.

I'm looking at condensor mic's and Tube pre-amps also..

I don't have any money left or I would buy it all..

I'm fat and old and gray (60) but we could tag along together and unwind and explore this wonderful world we are entering..I'm doing iMovie combining the music to vidio will be fun also..its large and complex this whole world but do-able.. the rewards should be great..posting the finished products on the web will be fun..and then a web site of our own..devoted to this..

I'm maybe doing this to seriously or time consuming for you..I don't know..

The preamp answers your first question--go to the Apple site and look at Music Creation--they will show pre-amps and interfaces and controllers etc etc..Apple also has Logic 7 a far more elaborrete GarageBand...

I'm crazy about all this even though I know almost nothing..the fact that I can play a $50,000 Yamaha Grand Piano[on a $99 Keyboard] with GarageBand hooked all I got to do is learn to play the piano..which I am doing..ha realize I'm sure that this stuff is all just emerging..just a few years ago one would have needed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff to do this along with many many years of a five year old with a thousand dollars worth of equipment can do this..and even do it better...
  3. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Jun 9, 2004
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    You need a good preamp of some kind. For a beginner like yourself, I would reccomend buying something cheap like the M-Audio Fast Track. The line in on your iMac is not suitable for quality recordings of guitar and vox. What type of mic are you using? You may also want to consider getting a decent mic for both vocals and guitar. A Shure SM57 would be a good starting point and cossts less than $100. Do you plan on micing a guitar amp or just going straight in?
  4. dawnp thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2005
    very appreciative

Hey Mr B. Farm and Mr 2AB thanks very much for your information. I'm not just a GarabeBand newbie but also a Forum newbie and very happy to see that this method of communication works. In answer to your question 2ABatterie I have a Dynamic microphone which I am playing my guitar into ie my guitar does not have a pic up. I checked out the M Audio Fast Track you mentioned on the internet and think that maybe the way to go. What do you reckon?
    Thanks again guys! xx :D
  5. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2003
    I'm told and I believe-that the M-Audio Solo (FireWire) is well worth the extra money-It's $199 and does the same job as the $399 one only with fewer hookups-

I ordered the M-Audio Radium 61(controller) from eCost the other day for $149 Free Shipping, no tax

If they would have had the M-Audio Solo I would have ordered it too..

Thats after months of weighing options and prices, my money is close..

I also got a APC UPS Battery-Back-up BR1500 from eCost on the same order, it's cost was $177

I am about to hook up my G5, I pick up my router tuesday, I have iLfe 05 to install along with iWork and am about to get the $99 HD version upgrade of FinalCut Express

My Shure SM58 will have to do for now--The Rode Condensor mic and a Tube preamp are next...several months from now, I'm flat broke...but there..

I have a Alvarez and a Tacoma accoustic and am looking at a D15 Martin...
  6. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2003
    Super site are where I want to be... a really really good site....ball breaking good...congradulations...Tom