New to iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

While I am a fairly seasoned Mac user, I am new to using iMovie. The a death in my family has turned me to using iLife to create multimedia memorials for her.

My question is: the movies I have were the short ones taken with digital cameras. They are saved as AVI files. How do I import them into iMovie to manipulate them? Or is this too complex a question for this forum? I tried dragging and dropping an AVI file into iMovie, but it didn't show all the frames of the movie.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is actually really easy. If you install the DivX QuickTime codec, you will be able to open AVI files in iMovie.

3. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

My condolences on your loss. I'm sure that whatever you put together, it will be very special.

Regards,
    Marc

4. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

MARC,

THANK YOU for such kind words. I really appreciate it. :)

5. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I get the DivX codec?

OK, so maybe I am not that seasoned <grin>

How do I install the DivX codec? I have QuickTime Pro.

6. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

I was wondering how to do this exact same thing. I thought that if you had Quicktime Pro you could export the files as something that iMovie could understand (like .mov files?)

I don't have Quicktime Pro, can you install this DivX codec without it?

Diomedes, I am sorry for your loss, not the best circumstances to be learning new software.

7. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I am so sorry to read about your loss. Good luck with your project; I am sure you will make something amazing and will be greatly appreciated.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The availability of third-party codecs has nothing to do with whether or not you paid for QuickTime Pro. Apple includes certain of these in the base installation of QuickTime. Others are optional downloads through the QuickTime installer. Still others are not supported by Apple in any fashion. DivX falls into this category. DivX is a bastard version of MPEG4. As you know, the MPEG chose Apple's QuickTime over Microsoft's WMV as basis for MPEG4. The rejected Microsoft draft standard for MPEG4 lives on as DivX. To use the DivX codec, you must download the installer from the DivX web site. Run the installer and you're golden.

9. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

First, I want to thank everyone for their sympathies. It is really touching to have people on this forum to express their condolences.

The building of this memorial has been very therapeutic. I did a very simple one with iPhoto and iDVD abut a week after, and it helped me remember all the good times and special moments. So I am thinking constructing a full multimedia memorial will help in the healing process.

The camera I used to take the movies is a Canon PowerShot A70. I don't have the manual handy, but is AVI the only format it can create movies in? Or is there a third-party tool to convert AVI to QuickTime? Again, sorry for my ignorance of these formats...

Again, thank you ALL for your condolences.

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

evilernie is right.. open the AVI in QuickTime Pro, and export the file as DV (DV NTSC 48Khz). The resulting file should have the extension ".DV." That file will be useful in iMovie. My condolences about your loss.

The best iMovie site I know of:
    http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/index.shtml