new to iTMS and not happy

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dorqiekat, Oct 8, 2006.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

I'm new to the iTMS but I've been loving the episodes... my roommates and I share what we buy in the music store since you can authorize up to 5 computers. I have a few episodes and songs from them that had already been authorized with their passwords at our apartment. I'm in my home town visiting my parents and those files don't work anymore. It requests the password again as if I hadn't authorized it. Is it because I'm not connected to the same internet service? It shouldn't matter where I am, what my connection is, or if I'm connected at all since I already had them authroized. If I imput their password again, will the authorization for the limited computers knock down again? Even though it'll be the same computer, just on a different internet? I'm so confused... I don't know why it's doing that.

Also, (this isn't to cheat paying since we already bought it) I know that if you burn the music files as an audio CD and then import them into your computer the lock on those songs are removed... is there any way you can do that for the tv episodes as well? So this problem doesn't occur again.

Thanks

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Were the shows originally purhased, and authorized on the Machine your trying to play them on now? If your roomates purchased, and authorized them on his/her machine, and you just copied them over to your Machine they will have to be authorized, again to play on your Machine.

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

My roomates paid for them on their computer and then I copied them and they authorized it.

If it's already been authorized, why does it have to be authorized again just because I'm not using the same internet connection. And if I authorize it for the second time, will they have less machines to aurhorize even though we've already authorized my computer?

And why will it not play when I'm not connected to the internet? I find that the security itunes has put up to be very inconvenient.

Is there any way to strip the lock from episodes after authorizing it?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait wait wait... you are not explaining everything about your setup clearly. iTunes doesn't require an internet connection to play protected music. It never has.

Across all the songs you purchased with your roommates... how many different iTunes accounts are they on? One or more than one?

5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

and another thing

yesterday I bought an episode of law and order and when I bought it, it said that you have authorized 3 out of 5 machines. why? I didn't authorize anyone else to have it. Is it because 3 computer (including my own) is connected to the same internet? That seems wrong. Firstly, I'm the only person in the household that watches law and order. And secondly, one of the computers might be connected to the internet... but we haven't used that machine in years. Why would iTMS do this whithout my consent? :mad:

6. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes, we all have our own accounts. When we buy something and the other is interested, we just give out the password and authorize the machine to play it.

For instance, I was trying to watch The Office that my roommate purchased with her account. She sent me the file, authorized my machine to play the episode. I went home for the weekend and when I tried to watch it, it said that my machine isn't authorized to play it. The same with all the music she's given to me.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, I haven't tried what you are trying... but I don't think you are doing what is allowed or intended by the Apple policy. The policy is designed to allow one user to put their iTunes library on five of their computers. And it allows them to put it on your computer, also. Now I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the policy is set up to allow the converse: one computer is not allowed to be authorized to many iTunes accounts at the same time. So I think you are having trouble because each account to which you are authorizing is de-authorizing the previous account to which you were authorized.

Here is the Apple article on authorizations for reference...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

8. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think what we're doing is completely within the rules. The store allows 5 machines to play the purchased song. I buy something, my roommate likes it, I authorize her machine. That is 2 machines out of the 5. What's the problem? That she has an account and I have an account? We're both paying for songs and using the authorization that itunes allows it to do. My machine wouldn't have been authorized if it wasn't allowed. What is going on here, is now that I'm using a different connection, it's asking me to authorize again. I'm wondering if every time I'm at a different internet connection, will I have to authorize songs under my roommates account?

Plus, I still don't understand why iTMS authorized 3 machines out of 5 when I bought the law and order episodes. I didn't authorize any other machine other than mine.

9. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

IIRC, you are authorizing a computer with an account, not authorizing a file. Any authorized computer can play any music, shows, or what have you under that account. You can move that one L&O episode to the two other authorized computers and play it without further authorization. I would recommend you consult the iTunes documentation to see exactly what holds are involved with the DRM.

EDIT: (off topic) They should have TANGERINE iPods/iMacs. But I wouldn't eat it. :)

10. grahamtearne macrumors regular

maybe one of your freinds de-authorized all of the machines - hence the need for you to have to re-authorize

I have music that i have bought on my pc and laptop. I can listen to authorized music on my laptop no matter what internet connection i have (if any at all) once its authorized its authorized for online and offline play.

If you log onto your account it tells your how many machines are authorized to play downloaded content - from here all machines can be de-authorized, i think this is what has happened, one of your freinds has de-authorized all the machines and now need to be re-authorized.

11. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I understand what you're saying, I just don't understand why when I bought the law and order episode yesterday how 3 machines out of 5 have already been authorized without me saying so.

Basically, anything CITRUS is worth eating. Yum.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you know that you bought it with your own account and not somebody else's? Are you sure you didn't buy it with her account, for instance, to which the computers were already authorized?

13. grahamtearne macrumors regular

its because your account is already authorized on 3 machines. for example you have authorized 'song x' on 2 of your freinds laptops, that means your account is authrozied on 3 machines in total.

when you then buy further content your account is still already authorized on 2 other machines. as someone said, you are not authorizing the individual file.

14. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's because...

I think I know what happened to the Law and Order authorization. Since I have authorized 2 machines in the past for random songs, I think that in my account settings, it has saved the info that these 2 machines are authorized for future purchases. It's the only thing I can think of.

On the whole issue with music from my roommates, I just re-authorized them and it works now. The number of machines allowed for authorization hasn't gone up. I'm not sure WHY it became de-authorized since I know for a fact that they didn't de-authorize the files. Hmm...

Strange.

15. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

When you authorize you are authorizing a computer, not a file as has been said.

I don't think you can have multiple authorizations on a computer. For example:

You can't have your iTunes account and content and your roomates account and content at the same time. Try this.

Authorize one of his files, and then try and play one of your downloaded files. See what it does, it will probably say the account isnt authorized.

If not I am at a loss. I will see if I can figure it out with my account and my gf's account.

16. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm positive I bought it with my account.

17. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can have multiple authorizations. I can play songs that has been purchased from: 2 of my roommates and her boyfriend. That is 4 different authorizations (including mine). If you're asking if you can be on iTMS with different accounts, I don't know. In iTMS, I'm always connected with MY account and I purchase music with MY account.

18. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Like someone has mentioned before, you can only authorize one account at a time. (Unless there is an option I've never seen before.) You aren't authorizing individual files, you're authorizing an account.

If you want to play a file from account x, then y, then z. You will have to authorize for x, then y, then z, as you play them. You can only play things for the last account you logged in to.

Summary: only one account per computer can be authorized at any given moment

19. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know you can only authorize one at a time. I also know that you only have to authorize one file and then it automatically authorizes all the other files from the same account that you have just authorized on your machine.

However, you CAN play the music from account X, Y and then Z as long has you have authorized them at one point. And once they have been authorized, you can play them without authorizing each time.

the problem is: why did I have to re-authorize them just because I am using a different internet connection.

20. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Just to make it clear.

Your personal account and Authorise upto 5 computers.

You can not have two authorised accounts on one computer. In other words, two different accounts authorised on a running computer at the same time. Its either one or the other.

You can also de-Authorise computers also aswell. Like if you sold a Computer.

Also, what you are doing IS NOT Legal. You are sharing files among each other. This is basic Filesharing.
    ITS ONLY LEGAL if their computers are authorised under your account. Not switching between yours and theirs.

21. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Agreed.

I'm not sure. Maybe because of the iTunes upgrade, but that still doesn't make sense.

22. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I don't understand it either. But once I put in my roommates password, it was authorized and worked fine. The authorization limit didn't even go up, as if it knew that my machine had already been authorized.

I guess since I left my original internet network it was making sure... I really don't know why...

23. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to make myself clear:

I am NOT sharing accounts nor am I switching from their account to mine. I buy music legally. They buy music legally. I want what they buy, they want what I buy. So, I AUTHORIZE (oops, you're from England) their computer to play my purchased music and they authorize mine machine for the same reason. This is why iTMS allows 5 machines. If it wasn't legal, then iTMS would now allow any other machines but yours to play the purchased item. It also wouldn't allow you to move the file into ipods.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Several people have said that you cannot authorise two accounts on the same computer. This is completely false. I've had two accounts for over a year now, and I can play songs from both accounts without any issues whatsoever.

25. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

First of all, I don't have a problem with what you are doing. But, I think you misunderstand the policy here. The point of authorizing 5 computers is not so that you can let your friends listen to music that you've purchased. It's so that people like me (Powerbook, iMac at home, PC at work) can listen to all of the music that I've purchased on all of my own computers, not someone else's. Same goes for the 3 iPods in my family.

Cheers.