New to Itunes on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Garrettc87, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Garrettc87 macrumors newbie

Jun 4, 2006
    Heres the senerio, I used ipoddisk to transfer the songs on my ipod to my external harddrive, but i am having problems setting up my external harddrive to be my only source of music on my macbook. Already some music automatically saved itself on the mac hd, and Id like to delete that, if I could find it that is. And I would like For my computer to basically only have a huge music collection when my external harddrive is plugged in. I went to Itunes>prefrences>advanced>and set the my music folder to the folder containing all my music on my external hd but it does not update the library or "sync" the two to contain all my music. Thanks!

Edit: Maybe wrong forum? admin delete if necessary...
  2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Yep, that's the first step is to point your library to the folder you want it to be in.

The next step is to go to Advanced>consolidate music library. Sit back and wait for the new library to be created. Then iTunes will use your new library from now on.

When I did that I deleted my older library folder (which should be in you music>iTunes folder) but only after I confirmed that everything was good to go with the new library. I did a few tests, ripping CD"s and making sure they were only getting added to the new folder.

Good luck. :)